Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Destroyed on actual GMAT exam -- any tips/suggestions for retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hjmba5233 wrote:
My studying was focused in all areas for quant, going over each topic and repeating questions until I felt comfortable with variations of 700 for each section. For verbal, my studying was solely focused on SC (CR and RC, I was getting under five wrong total in the practice exams so I didn't focus as much on). I used the MGMAT study guides, solved all the OG questions for the guide and did several/most of the questions on the additional verbal and quant books, solved questions from the GMAT Club question banks and supplemented my studying with some webinars from GMAT Club, GMAT Ninja, Veritas Prep, etc.

Hi hjmba5233,

I don't know much about you or your exam, but one quick recommendation: we should work on all question types. So, for example, we may focus on SC, but we wouldn't want to focus "solely" on SC. That said, if the questions you saw on tests 5 and 6 were "fresh" (you weren't already familiar with them), your scores are representative, and you are capable of getting a 700 or more on the GMAT. Keep at it, and take the exam again when you feel ready. Most people underperfom the first time around.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Re: Destroyed on actual GMAT exam -- any tips/suggestions for retake? [#permalink]
Hi,
As you went through manhattan prep books, you can also consider seeing some free video lessons from the Manhattan Prep youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx7VTLOKUr8&t=1054s

Good Luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hjmba5233,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned - although a 640/Q45 is still a solid Score (and may be enough to get you into your first-choice School). When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Did you take any other CATs/mocks besides the ones that you listed?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
More often than not, the final scores will be average of your last MBA.com official Tests ( GMAT Prep 5 & 6) unless, anxiety played a major role - which I guess is true in your case.

In any case, if you can share your ESR Report and I will be more than happy to help you evaluate your test and provide you with recommendations to ensure you get your target score. You can drop me an email : Kalyan.chamarthi@scoreleap.in

In the mean time, please visit our FREE Sentence Correction Lessons, if you think it can help you refresh some of the concepts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Thinking back to which types of questions on Quant may have hurt your performance and the sections on Verbal you are "hit or miss" with may be helpful. An error log or previous mock data may show this.

If the exam threw a larger share of questions you are weak on that may be part of the reason your score was less than expected.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts