Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a [#permalink]
Kudos
Can anyone please explain why option c in question 3 is wrong.
In the opening line it is mentioned that no single definition of the term exists. Is "Arbitary process" a too far interpretation of the same.
Kindly help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a [#permalink]
Kudos
jawele wrote:
Hi,

Could anybody help me out with (Book Question: 55)
The author of the passage mentions “groups that live in different places” (in line 21) most probably in order to

A. point out a theoretical inconsistency in the biological species concept
B. offer evidence in support of the biological species concept
C. identify an obstacle to the application of the biological species concept
D. note an instance in which phenotype classification is customarily used
E. describe an alternative to the biological species concept

Although I chose the correct answer, I'm still in doubt about A. Do the words in line 20 '...that investigators cannot always determine whether...' show why this answer choice is incorrect, i.e. the underlined words actually point to an inconsistency in practice, and not in theory?

Thank you

I choose wrong "A" over right answer "C". That's how I convince myself for right answer later on:

Between A and C, there is a difference of "Theoretical inconsistency" vs "Application" regarding "biological species concept".

Biological species concept is described in passage earlier; " blah..blah..".

Now, Three issues with this concept have been presented, and 3rd one is addressed in question,"groups that live in different places". In order to answer, we need to ask if a theory is given, can it be applied at given situation marked in yellow. The answer is "No", that why passage mentions it as one of the problem with biological species concept. It's because of some situation where concept is not applied, that comes under category of "application of concept can't be applied", not concept itself is at fault or inconsistent.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MAnkur wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Sakshamachiever wrote:
Hi Experts,
In Q1. The passage is primarily concerned with

A. describing the development of the biological species concept
B. responding to a critique of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species
C. considering two different approaches to identifying biological species
D. pointing out the advantage of one method of distinguishing related species
E. identifying an obstacle to the classification of biological species

I am confused between B and C. While reading the passage,the focus was on drawbacks of biological species concept (based on reproductive compatibility) and towards the end an alternative was described.So I chose B.
Can anyone explain why this is incorrect ?

As for choice (B), the author does present several possible critiques of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species, but the passage is not concerned with responding to those possible critiques.

Rather, the author presents those drawbacks to illustrate situations in which the biological species concept is difficult to apply. The author then presents an alternative (phenotype) that can be used in such situations. The author does not say that the biological species concept should be abandoned in favor of phenotype. Instead, the author simply notes that some investigators use the latter when the biological species concept is difficult to apply.

The author considers both approaches but is not primarily concerned with defending or rejecting either. Thus, choice (C) is more appropriate.

I hope that helps!

I rejected the option C and picked B for the word "Biological" assuming that it is not supported by the passage and first line of the passage says about the species and not just the biological species,

While reviewing I could eliminate B more than C!

Any tips on how to avoid such mistakes - not over-using one word off or too extreme concept

Experts may please respond!

I think you answered your own question! The key is to use process of elimination every time and to avoid prematurely eliminating options. If you know why it is wrong, eliminate it. But if you aren't quite sure what a choice means, leave it. If you are uncomfortable with a single word but not sure whether it's a deal-breaker, leave it.

For a broader discussion of RC technique, check out our RC guide for beginners.

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
mansinegii wrote:
In Qs 56, why is B not the answer?

Hi Mansi,

Take a look at option B "Because no standard definition exists for what constitutes a species, the classification of animal populations is inevitably an arbitrary process".

The problem here is this line "the classification of animal populations is inevitably an arbitrary process".

Nowhere it is mentioned in the passage that classification is arbitrary process, author trying to classify animal populations through mentioned two definitions(phenotype and biological species concept).

Although there is no standard definition but that doesn't mean classification is done arbitrarily.

Hope it helps. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
SanjaySrini wrote:
Hi,

Can someone explain why option D " The existence of hybrids in wild animal species is the chief factor casting doubt on the usefulness of research into reproductive compatibility as a way of classifying species." is wrong for question 3.

Hi Sanjay,

The problem with option D is the word "chief".

The author mentions three separate issues with using reproductive compatibility as the basis for defining species. The author never says that one or another of those factors is more important than the others, so there is an issue with the word "chief" in the answer choice.

Thus D can be eliminated.

Hope it helps :)
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a [#permalink]
Kudos
willacethis wrote:
The passage is primarily concerned with

(A) describing the development of the biological species concept
(B) responding to a critique of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species
(C) considering two different approaches to identifying biological species
(D) pointing out the advantage of one method of distinguishing related species
(E) identifying an obstacle to the classification of biological species

Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

As per my understanding, option E in the above question is wrong because the author has not written the passage to simply "identify" the fact that no single accepted definition of the term "distinct species" exists.

Could you please confirm whether my reasoning is correct?

Hey! Firstly, congrats on your excellent score!

As for your question, yes! The author identifies an obstacle to the classification of biological species, yet it is just a few sentences in the whole passage. Such a narrow point would never be an answer in GMAT.

Quote:

Choice C broadly covers both paragraphs and is the correct answer.

patto this reply well answers your question as well. I hope you find it useful.

Kudos if you liked this post, guys!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
parthgohel wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Sakshamachiever wrote:
Hi Experts,

B. responding to a critique of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species

I am confused between B and C. While reading the passage,the focus was on drawbacks of biological species concept (based on reproductive compatibility) and towards the end an alternative was described.So I chose B.

As for choice (B), the author does present several possible critiques of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species, but the passage is not concerned with responding to those possible critiques.

Rather, the author presents those drawbacks to illustrate situations in which the biological species concept is difficult to apply. The author then presents an alternative (phenotype) that can be used in such situations. The author does not say that the biological species concept should be abandoned in favor of phenotype. Instead, the author simply notes that some investigators use the latter when the biological species concept is difficult to apply.

The author considers both approaches but is not primarily concerned with defending or rejecting either. Thus, choice (C) is more appropriate.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMAT Ninja
I rejected option C as it says about two different approaches to identify Biological Species. The passage talks about 2 different approaches to help classify distinct species; Biological Species concept and Phenotype

In my understanding, as per 2nd paragraph, the author describes 'Phenotype' to classify distinct species and not Biological species.
Where is the gap in my understanding? Pls help

Have you had a chance to look at our earlier post on a similar question here? Check that out, and let us know if you have any other questions!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vedha0 wrote:
QUESTION 4

as per the question in VR book, lines 10-13 are

group. Yet this idea can be too restrictive. First,
mating between groups labeled as different species
(hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family,
is quite common in nature. Second, sometimes

Leaving out the end of ongoing sentence (" ...group) and the start of the new sentence in line 13.. the lines in focus are "Yet...common in nature" right?

i approached considering from YET to NATURE and following the process of elimination, i found the answer to be E. B was my runner up choice but previous sentence wrt to my interpretation was actually the definition of the biological species concept.

How do we deal with such minute discrepancies on gmat questions when they mention line numbers? pls help with this confusion.

AbdurRakib GMATNinja KarishmaB

The author says that the idea is restrictive, not invalid. Invalid is too strong a word for his stand and until and unless he says "this concept is baseless/bogus/untrue/false/not valid," I wouldn't accept 'invalid.'
Though yes, I do hope that they clarify it a bit better in the actual test (the book has no highlighted text etc).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
CorporateFinancier wrote:
I agree this is a good explanation, but why do you say that "Yet this idea can be too restrictive" is a previous sentence?? It's in line 10, so it cannot be a previous sentence in my view.

Many thanks in advance for clarification!

I agree that this is a confusing reference, but the question is trying to highlight the sentence that begins in line 10 and ends in line 13. True, you could argue that the question might be referring to both sentences together, but if you make that assumption, none of the answer choices would be correct! Thus, using process of elimination, choice (B) best describes the function of lines 10-13.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
P1 - An idea is introduced. 3 flaws in that idea are pointed out.
P2 - An alternative of previous idea is described.

(Book Question: 54)

C. considering two different approaches to identifying biological species ----
-----------------------------------------------

(Book Question: 55)
The author of the passage mentions “groups that live in different places” (in line 21) most probably in order to
pre-thinking - there is a flaw in concept, that is explained using this line.
A. point out a theoretical inconsistency in the biological species concept
B. offer evidence in support of the biological species concept
C. identify an obstacle to the application of the biological species concept------ correct
D. note an instance in which phenotype classification is customarily used
E. describe an alternative to the biological species concept
----------------------------------------------

(Book Question: 56)
With which of the following statements regarding the classification of individual species would the author most likely agree?

A. Phenotype comparison may help to classify species when application of the biological species concept proves inconclusive. ---- correct

--------------------------------------------

(Book Question: 57)
Which of the following best describes the function of lines 10-13 [First, mating between groups labeled as different species (hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family, is quite common in nature.]?
Pre-thinking : before this line, they gave the definition of a study. but called that idea very restrictive. these lines are defining that restriction.

I first selected B and E. one of them should be answer.
B. It develops a point about the biological species concept made in the previous sentence. --- correct.
E. It demonstrates why the biological species concept is invalid. --- so first study is true for some part, while false for rest. but is it really proving the study wrong. what if this line is true. then are you sure that this is of same group. this is not 100% true choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
siddharthfrancis wrote:
why is the answer to the 4th questions B and not E. ??

hey siddharthfrancis,

The statement B says
B)It demonstrates why the biological species concept is invalid.

According to the author, the idea is too restrictive. From this statement, we can easily infer that this idea carries some value; it doesn't matter how much.
So, the biological species concept is not invalid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
For Q3) Could someone explain how A is correct? In the passage the author clearly writes: "When the biological species concept is difficult to apply, some investigators use phenotype".

Difficult to apply does not mean inconclusive, so how does A make sense?

I chose D because the author writes "yet this idea can be too restrictive. First, mating between groups labeled as different species (hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family, is quite common in nature"

I understand that in D the answer says hybridization is THE way of undermining the biological species concept, but this phrasing seems to be more valid than A. Could someone explain where my thinking went wrong?

GMATNinja
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:
(Book Question: 55)

(A) point out a theoretical inconsistency in the biological species concept
(B) offer evidence in support of the biological species concept
(C) identify an obstacle to the application of the biological species concept
(D) note an instance in which phenotype classification is customarily used
(E) describe an alternative to the biological species concept

u1983, GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, workout, GMATNinjaTwo, Gnpth

Dear experts, can you please explain why A is chosen over C?
My understanding is that theoretically, this concept is okay but while applying in the real world faced three problems.

egards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Sakshamachiever wrote:
Hi Experts,

I hope that helps!

I rejected the option C and picked B for the word "Biological" assuming that it is not supported by the passage and first line of the passage says about the species and not just the biological species,

While reviewing I could eliminate B more than C!

Any tips on how to avoid such mistakes - not over-using one word off or too extreme concept

Experts may please respond!

Originally posted by MAnkur on 13 Jun 2019, 21:15.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 14 Jun 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
fixed formatting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
In Qs 56, why is B not the answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.98
Send PM

(A) describing the development of the biological species concept
(B) responding to a critique of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species
(D) pointing out the advantage of one method of distinguishing related species
(E) identifying an obstacle to the classification of biological species

Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

As per my understanding, option E in the above question is wrong because the author has not written the passage to simply "identify" the fact that no single accepted definition of the term "distinct species" exists.

Could you please confirm whether my reasoning is correct?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Hello! The question that says " the passage is primarily concerned with ...."

I find it difficult to determine whether it's C or E...
The first sentence states one obstacle and then the author introduces 2 approaches that are a sort of example to the difficulty stated on the first sentence.
Some expert pls help
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13959 posts