Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618873 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Math Expert
Send PM
Math Expert
Send PM
Re: Devil's Dozen!!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
4. Of the 58 patients of Vertigo Hospital, 45 have arachnophobia. How many of the patients have acrophobia?

Tricky question.

(1) The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. Use double-set matrix:

As you can see # of patients who has acrophobia is 58-45=13. Sufficient.

(2) 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia. Clearly insufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel, I don't understand how St 2 is clearly insufficient?
If we do it via venn diagram method, we know that a+b+c = 58
and we know from st 2, that a=32, so b=13, thus c=0.
But then from st 1 we get c = 13.
Where am I going wrong?

There might be a group of patients who has neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. So, it should be a + b + c + neither = 58.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:
4. Of the 58 patients of Vertigo Hospital, 45 have arachnophobia. How many of the patients have acrophobia?

Tricky question.

(1) The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. Use double-set matrix:

As you can see # of patients who has acrophobia is 58-45=13. Sufficient.

(2) 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia. Clearly insufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel, I don't understand how St 2 is clearly insufficient?
If we do it via venn diagram method, we know that a+b+c = 58
and we know from st 2, that a=32, so b=13, thus c=0.
But then from st 1 we get c = 13.
Where am I going wrong?

There might be a group of patients who has neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. So, it should be a + b + c + neither = 58.

Okay but b+c=13, D can still be the answer? The question is asking us for b+c

The question asks for the number of patients who has acrophobia. Yellow box in matrix in my solution.

IF the number of patients with neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia is 0, then there will be 26 patients with acrophobia but IF the number of patients with neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia is 13, then there will be 13 patients with acrophobia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
hey bunuel, are we assuming that y=1 in question 12? If so, why? I saw that A was not sufficient but chose C because I thought we could simply plug in different values for X (36, 81) so that y could be a number of different fractions
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
alexanthony813 wrote:
12. If x>0 and xy=z, what is the value of yz?

(1) \(x^2*y=3\). If \(x=1\) then \(y=z=3\) and \(yz=9\) but if \(x=3\) then \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), \(z=1\) and \(yz=\frac{1}{3}\). Not sufficient.

(2) \(\sqrt{x*y^2}=3\) --> \(x*y^2=9\) --> \((xy)*y=9\) --> since \(xy=z\) then: \(z*y=9\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

hey bunuel, are we assuming that y=1 in question 12? If so, why? I saw that A was not sufficient but chose C because I thought we could simply plug in different values for X (36, 81) so that y could be a number of different fractions

We are not assuming that y is 1.

From (2) we have that \((xy)*y=9\) and from the stem we know that \(xy=z\). Now, simply substitute xy with z in \((xy)*y=9\) to get \(z*y=9\).

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Dear Bunuel,

I have a question to your solution on the following problem:

2. If n is a positive integer and p is a prime number, is p a factor of n!?

you specify for statement 2 the following sentence:

(2) p is a factor of (n+2)!/n! --> \frac{(n+2)!}{n!}=(n+1)(n+2) --> if n=2 then (n+1)(n+2)=12 and for p=2 then answer will be YES but for p=3 the answer will be NO. Not sufficient.

now consider (n+2)!/n!, this can be reduced to (n+1)(n+2), for n is odd, the expression is even, further for n is even, the expression is even again.
the statement specifies that p is a factor of an even number and is prime, thus p should be even and the only even prime number is 2. How did you consider p= 3? in your solution.

Thanks in advance,
Sant
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618873 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
santorasantu wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

I have a question to your solution on the following problem:

2. If n is a positive integer and p is a prime number, is p a factor of n!?

you specify for statement 2 the following sentence:

(2) p is a factor of (n+2)!/n! --> \frac{(n+2)!}{n!}=(n+1)(n+2) --> if n=2 then (n+1)(n+2)=12 and for p=2 then answer will be YES but for p=3 the answer will be NO. Not sufficient.

now consider (n+2)!/n!, this can be reduced to (n+1)(n+2), for n is odd, the expression is even, further for n is even, the expression is even again.
the statement specifies that p is a factor of an even number and is prime, thus p should be even and the only even prime number is 2. How did you consider p= 3? in your solution.

Thanks in advance,
Sant

The red part is not correct. An even number can have an odd factor. For example, 12 is even and it has an odd factor 3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
6. Is the perimeter of triangle with the sides a, b and c greater than 30?

700+ question.

(1) a-b=15. Must know for the GMAT: the length of any side of a triangle must be larger than the positive difference of the other two sides, but smaller than the sum of the other two sides. So, a+b>c>15 --> a+b+c>30. Sufficient.

(2) The area of the triangle is 50. For a given perimeter equilateral triangle has the largest area. Now, if the perimeter were equal to 30 then it would have the largest area if it were equilateral. Let's find what this area would be: \(Area_{equilateral}=s^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=(\frac{30}{3})^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=25*\sqrt{3}<50\). Since even equilateral triangle with perimeter of 30 can not produce the area of 50, then the perimeter must be more that 30. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

hi Bunuel,
I didn't get your point mentioned in "For a given perimeter equilateral triangle has the largest area." because in statement B nothing is mentioned about type of triangle. Also please correct me if I am wrong for the statement "can't we do like this if we are assuming triangle as equilateral: (50= sqrt of 3 * a^2 ) / 4 and find what is a? Then a+a+a will give definite answer. So B is also sufficient to answer this question."

Thanks.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
goalMBA1990 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
6. Is the perimeter of triangle with the sides a, b and c greater than 30?

700+ question.

(1) a-b=15. Must know for the GMAT: the length of any side of a triangle must be larger than the positive difference of the other two sides, but smaller than the sum of the other two sides. So, a+b>c>15 --> a+b+c>30. Sufficient.

(2) The area of the triangle is 50. For a given perimeter equilateral triangle has the largest area. Now, if the perimeter were equal to 30 then it would have the largest area if it were equilateral. Let's find what this area would be: \(Area_{equilateral}=s^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=(\frac{30}{3})^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}=25*\sqrt{3}<50\). Since even equilateral triangle with perimeter of 30 can not produce the area of 50, then the perimeter must be more that 30. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

hi Bunuel,
I didn't get your point mentioned in "For a given perimeter equilateral triangle has the largest area." because in statement B nothing is mentioned about type of triangle. Also please correct me if I am wrong for the statement "can't we do like this if we are assuming triangle as equilateral: (50= sqrt of 3 * a^2 ) / 4 and find what is a? Then a+a+a will give definite answer. So B is also sufficient to answer this question."

Thanks.

From (2) we have that if even an equilateral triangle with perimeter of 30 cannot have the area of 50, then the perimeter must be more that 30. So, if even an equilateral triangle with perimeter of 30 cannot have the area of 50, then the perimeter must be more that 30.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM