GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Diagnostic Verbal Test No. 5 Q# 13 SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Diagnostic Verbal Test No. 5 Q# 13 SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Oct 2015, 00:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (01:47) correct 71% (02:38) wrong based on 1329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Middle Stone Age, extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, is marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more abstract perception than modern technology

(A) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, is marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than

(B) was extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribal of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

(C) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues which they used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

(D) extending for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, and marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than

(E) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than does

OA: C

OE:
A: The process is a bygone affair; we need a past tense verb –required -- to express a past event.
B: Was extended is wrong usage; It gives a feeling that somebody extended the era from outside.
C: Correct Choice
D: present tense verb ‘requires’ is wrong for a bye-gone event
E: --Than does -- is wrong comparison; should compare middle Stone Age with another age and not what modern technology does.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 04 Mar 2014, 06:16.
Last edited by daagh on 20 Oct 2015, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: The Middle Stone Age, extended for 200,000 years from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 16:52
The Middle Stone Age, extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, is marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more abstract perception than modern technology

A. extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, is marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than

B. was extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribal of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

C. extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues which they used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

D. extending for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, and marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than

E. extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than does

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Diagnostic Verbal Test No. 5 Q# 13 SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 21:39
(C) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues which they used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

Shouldn't 'Which' always appear after a comma?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 22:11
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

No, 'which' can appear without the preceding comma. It just has to obey the 'touch' rule.

I understand what you're getting at - as 'which' always introduces non-essential information, so it has to be separated by a preceding comma. But, I have seen a lot of examples where 'which' doesn't have a preceding comma.

Learning: Don't eliminate any options based on that.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 22:13
gmatter0913 wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

No, 'which' can appear without the preceding comma. It just has to obey the 'touch' rule.

I understand what you're getting at - as 'which' always introduces non-essential information, so it has to be separated by a preceding comma. But, I have seen a lot of examples where 'which' doesn't have a preceding comma.

Learning: Don't eliminate any options based on that.

Will keep that in mind. Thank you so much. : )
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 00:06
Phew!!Took 3.5 minutes to crack.But got the correct answer after all..!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 04:10
I went for E.

For C: Don't you make a illogical comparison by comparing mental and abstract perception to modern technology?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 08:29
Can anyone please tell me why A is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GPA: 3.12
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 18:24
in option c i think they has two refferants glues & Tribals. So i can say it is ambiguous therefore i eliminated it. can somebody explain me whether i am correct or wrong??
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2015, 00:03
Daddydekker : In this qn, we are comparing between process and technology, not between process and what technology does

Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 14:15
How can C be the right one? In that option we can see that the Complex Process require more perception than modern tech... How can we compare the process with Tech?

But in Option E we are comparing the process with the process Modern tech does... I hope this is the right comparision...

Also I tried to compare the Middle age with Mordern tech as Daagh gave in spoiler.. But when I read the sentence on the whole, it states that middle age process required more perception than modern tech process... Even if I am wrong about comparing processes, then how can we compare even age with tech as given in Spoiler?

Please help...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 18:38
Sorry for bumping the old thread, but I find it hard to accept the OA. Can someone please help to explain why E is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 03:50
HI Aprilli,

The two subtle differences between C and E are in E..,

'' intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows''

Its giving a sense that there is a kind of glue that is used for fixing honed head and the tribals manufactured this glue . (There is a slight change in the meaning. the tribals manufactuered glue and that glue was used for fixing the heads)

The 'does' is not required.

APRILLI wrote:
Sorry for bumping the old thread, but I find it hard to accept the OA. Can someone please help to explain why E is wrong?

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 04:26

(A) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, is marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than - "Extended" (past) then "IS" (present) awkward.

(B) was extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribal of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than - Incorrect

(C) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues which they used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than - No error

(D) extending for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, and marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than - extending looks present and then marked represent past

(E) extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than does - After than does is incorrect.

Kudos!!! If you like the explanation
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 10:02
Can anyone pls suggest what ‘They’ is referring to in option ‘C’?

Thanks in advance.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: The Middle Stone Age, extended for 200,000 years from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 05:01

A. extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, is marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than
this is not marked now.

B. was extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribal of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

C. extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues which they used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than

D. extending for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, and marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that in the absence empirical means of observation, requires far more mental and abstract perception than
extending is in present continous tense-incorrect here.

E. extended for 200,000 years from 300,000 BC TO 500,000 BC, was marked by the intelligent manufacture by the tribals of glues used for fixing honed heads to the spears and arrows, a complex process that, in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than does

A complex process that required far more mental and abstract perception than does modern technology

is correct here and implies the intended meaning rather than

A complex process that required far more mental and abstract perception than modern technology

So E is correct.

Refer below link for additional reference
https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sen ... -sentences

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: The Middle Stone Age, extended for 200,000 years from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 11:40
In option C, Can anyone explain what 'they' is referring to.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 13:00
Does anyone know why "E" is wrong? Is it because of the wrong comparison between Modern technology and Complex process?
Current Student
Schools: HEC Dec '17 (A)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 13:29
The comparison is between the "Tribal process" & "Modern Technology"

Option E has incorrect comparison where "The complex process" is compared to the perceptions required in "Modern Technology"

in the absence empirical means of observation, required far more mental and abstract perception than does
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 11:35
C. a complex process that, required far more mental and abstract perception
than required modern technology

this is illogical.
Re: #Top150 SC: The Middle Stone Age, extended for 200,000 years from &nbs [#permalink] 22 Oct 2015, 11:35

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap