It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2006, 22:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (00:13) correct 33% (00:26) wrong based on 52 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

A. of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have

B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having

C. of comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases that have

D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases that have

E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases having

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Engines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2006, 23:09
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

A. of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have

B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having

C. of comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases that have

D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases that have

E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases having

C for the following reasons:

1. Better to start with "of"
2. "That" "have" are needed in the sentence..because "been" is not underlined
3. I am not okay with using "fewer" with other gases

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2006, 23:19
Answer: B

I think I can actually find something wrong in all the options..

But preference to ||ism... Diesel engines burn.... as well as emit... So A & E are out.

"they" is redundant... therefore C and D are out.

As for B, having at the end bothers me...
If B were :
of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases

then B would be good.

Answer: B

Swagatalakshmi wrote:

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 0

Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2006, 23:20
C

1. "of" is better - D and E out
2. burn......emit..... - A out
3. "fewer of the other gases" - "fewer of" refers to what???? - B Out

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2006, 23:23
Guess its time to go to bed!! Been a long day and am not getting things through my head... :sleep :sleep :sleep

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2006, 12:43
C ... B has problem with 'far fewer of other gases'

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2006, 14:42
OK - the OA is A but I agree with hass_mba that none of the options is gramatically correct. I do not know the source of this question (got it from another forum) but if you guys know the source, please post the OE. :drinking

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2006, 04:25
I guess the only problem with C could be the pronoun 'they'. It could refer to diesel or petrol engine.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2006, 06:10
Same here, went with C, but I wasn't comfy with C also because of "they" , its reference is not clear, is it referring to Diesel or Gasoline engine? , better if "they" is removed.

I felt A was wrong because of its use of "emitting", "burn" and "emitting" aren't ||

http://gmatstuff.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2006, 23:56

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2006, 17:06
A - emitting not parallel with burn
B- CORRECT.
C,D,E - Meaning problem. These try to say that they emit less quantities of other gases instead of what they should mean: some gases are not emitted at all(far fewer gases)

Swagatalakshmi wrote:

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2006, 20:33
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

Hmmm so basic structure is:
[Something] does [something] as much as [something] less [something] than [something], as well as doing [something]... ... doing is weird. I think that the emitting is being done by the Engines, meaning that it is still doing it progressive--so I guess it is possible, but the inclination is that the as well as VERB should be in the same tense as burn, present tense. However, they do burn, but (they are) emitting....

Makes sense, I guess but is not jiving with my internal English monitor! Your choices sound better than A. Wow. I would say the idom is X's do (burn) this as well as that (present tense verb, emitt)... I am consfused again.

My conclusion is this is a bad question.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 09:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 23:08
to this i will go with A
i have eliminated D and E as these to have the verb having so eliminated , and in C they, has no a particular antecedent so eliminated now for b which is a run-on so eliminated left with A only that concise and has no error so chose A
thanks

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 07:43
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

B ) has the problem of " HAVING " at the end
" other gases having been implicated in global warming "simply does not sound correct.
C ) " and also they emit is awkward " - what does " they " refer to, Diesel engines or Gasoline engines

D) " That " is inappropriate here .
Also same error as in C has been repeated. Ambiguity of " they "

E) " That " is inappropriate here .
error of B is repeated here .
the problem of " HAVING " at the end
" other gases having been implicated in global warming "simply does not sound correct.

A) is the best of the lot.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 07:43

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap