Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Grant Me Admission: Memory, Mind, and GMAT Prep
I read this article via Magoosh’s GMAT Blog, and thought it was AMAZING!!!! It is well researched and really goes into how effectively study and retain…
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: All this back and forth is killing me
It feels like it has been a while, even though it hasn’t really. Work has become super hectic, we’re working on a new release of this app and I happen to be the team lead on this. I’m drowning in bugs and test cases — which is why an MBA is going to save me from this endless drudgery. Okay, it isn’t as bad as I’m making it out to be but you get the picture. I like coding, I do. It’s super challenging and makes me feel smarter than I am every day. But as much as I enjoy it, it gets monotonous and I can only stare at the computer screen for so long.

The founder of my company is doing one of my recommendations, as I’d mentioned earlier. I was hoping to ask my client to be the other recommender, but he’s very busy marketing the app I’ve been working on. I figure it’s better to ask another one of my managers for a recommendation rather than risk asking someone who might not be able to give his 100% to it. I have to make sure they both cover different aspects of my work here so that they can give a more comprehensive picture of me as an applicant.

I finished draft one of my Yale essay and after receiving feedback on that one (there was lots of it), I’m now working on draft number two. I think they are shaping up to be pretty strong, but I can’t help but imagine how they compare to other applicants with more experience since I only have so many things to write about. That’s the downside of being a younger applicant.

I also recently met one of my dad’s friends from college who went to Duke for his MBA and he was personally affronted by the fact that I wasn’t applying there. He spent the next hour brainwashing me about the virtues of Fuqua, while I tried to convince him that the only reason I wasn’t applying was because it was out of my league with a class size larger than I would prefer. But he wouldn’t have it and now I’m confused. AGAIN. I would get $125 waived off on the application fee with an alumni referral but then I would be applying to five schools which is one more than I would like.

Which brings me back to… should I exclude Darden from the list entirely? I like everything about it (small class size, tight alumni, college town, strong for consulting), but I’m a little worried about how intense the program is supposed to be. Every alum I spoke to said the same thing. Expect not to have much of a life outside the classroom in the first year, although it eases up in the second year. Some people actually preferred it this way since they said it gave them more bang for their buck. While I wish I was that intellectually enlightened, I’d rather have an easier course with a good balance of everything. Hey! You’re only young once. I don’t want to spend most of two years holed up in a library. This is probably why I’m too immature to apply to Darden in the first place :P

Yeah I can debate this both ways quite easily, but for the time being I’m going to sit on it and wait for some divine intervention that tells me which school to pick.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: What questions to ask admissions officers
I was recently sent a message from an applicant regarding what questions to ask current students, alumni, and admissions officers. If you follow my blog or my posts on GMATClub, you've probably noticed my repeated advice to network, network, network. Reach out to people to truly learn about each program, beyond what's on the school's website. But, what should you actually ask them?

I had this same question myself last year. And when I asked, I was told to just ask whatever you want to know to help make the best decision about where to apply and ultimately/hopefully matriculate. That advice was incredibly unhelpful. I already knew where I wanted to apply. By that point, I just wanted advice that would help me get in. I was past the stage of trying to determine "fit."

I can write a post later about finding your fit, but this post is for those of you who fall into the latter category and just want advice to make yourself stand out.

The point of asking questions to admissions officers (in my opinion) is to start to establish a connection and hopefully leave them with a rough memory of you.

Do:
  • Briefly share something interesting about yourself (this is basically your elevator pitch)
  • Connect your personal details to your question (this is how you can share your elevator pitch without sounding obnoxious. There has to be a reason that you are sharing this info. The reason, if you've prepared well, is that you have a relevant question to ask.)
  • Show that you have already done some research about the program (For example, if you were interested in international development, you could ask a Duke Fuqua admissions rep about the new campus opening in Asia)
  • Be sure to follow-up with a "It was great meeting you at XYZ event" type of email. Later, if you have other questions, you can continue to reply through the same email thread. This will help the adcom gradually start to remember you, or at least to have a record of you. For example, if you meet an admissions officer from Cornell at a Forte Forum in September, then in October, you could send the rep another email letting them know that you will be visiting the school and perhaps ask for recommendations on what to see/do while in Ithaca. 
Don't
  • Ask a question that could be answered with info from the school's website
  • Ask a question that doesn't positively support your candidacy 
  • Ask questions that can be quickly answered with a "Yes" or "No" response. Rather, aim for open-ended questions that will stimulate a (brief) discussion.
  • Lastly, be respectful of their time. Once you've asked your questions and shared a bit about yourself, kindly excuse yourself.
A few question ideas:
  • If interested in entrepreneurship, you could ask a HBS admissions officer about the Rock Center or the Harvard iLab.
  • If interested in management consulting, you could as a Darden admissions officer about the new careeer service partnership with McKinsey.
  • If interested in a non-traditional field, you could ask about opportunities for students to take classes in other departments/programs while enrolled at the b-school (be sure to only about about programs that are a strength of the university. For example, HBS and the GSB both have world-class schools of education. Since I'm interested in business and ed, this was a great way to mention my unique career goals, while gaining more info about the programs). Or ask, what career placement resources are in place for students interested in pursuing non-traditional post-MBA positions, i.e. opportunities within the education sector?
  •  If you can't think of anything more original, you can always ask what advice they have for applicants and what they think is the biggest misconception of the program.
These are just a few ideas to help structure your questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: 57 Essay Analyses & 1 Infographic!
I have updated the essay analysis list! It is almost all filled up. Hope you use this to really make your point in your essays and…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Think for yourself – INSEAD part 2
Some specific feedback from a senior (and very active fundraising) alumnus and a 2009 graduate (who has also interviewed a dozen or so candidates when invited to interview):

• Given desire to switch career and geography, will get a lot more out of full time MBA (rather than Exec MBA)
  • INSEAD is a lot more broad-minded [than other European schools], rewards diversity (own mentality and nature of people worked with) and people who have worked up the ladder
  • Alumni are passionate about helping the school and people interested to come to INSEAD
  • INSEAD is an innovative and entrepreneurial place
    • stimulating environment with many start-ups
    • several older classmates (mid 30s) who went on to work for eBay
  • Good to show focus in your application (i.e. specific goals) but also be careful to show you are open-minded, i.e. expect you may change your mind once you get on campus
  • Be honest about any shortcomings – tell how you have since “pulled your socks up”
  • Most important questions for an older applicant:
    • Why now? Why not earlier?
    • Why not the Exec MBA programme?
    • How will you interact with others [given family commitments]? Will you be able to integrate into the social culture of INSEAD?
  • Will typically rank c. 60% of candidates as ‘recommend admit’ (rest split 50/50 between ‘possible admit’ and ‘no admit’)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: I don’t want to spoil the party
Not much blogging activity from me these past ten days, but trust me I’ve been rocking my application research in the meantime!

Since my last post, I’ve worked on the following:

School 1 – met marketing director for Exec MBA (they reached out to me!); spoke with senior member of alumni fund (relative of a friend – good to have contacts!); met one recent alum; arranged to meet another alum next week.

School 2 – met three alums from Class of 2014 (already knew them – benefit of being a re-applicant!); sent last year’s application to three alums (not necessarily the same ones I met) for critical feedback.

School 3 – sent last year’s application to two alums (already knew them from last time) for critical feedback.

School 4 – attended a webinar hosted by an admissions consultant; reached out to an alum and current student (already knew both of them from last time) for advice and asked them to review last year’s application.

In general – shored up my two recommenders; told my boss about my plans (also an MBA alum so a key person!); discussed and clarified my goals with two consultants (both now retained); did an interview with Accepted.com; worked on my ‘greatest hits’ and ‘how I have improved since last time’ responses.

And, most importantly, I got my wife on board with my re-application plan.

Phew!

Still, there’s no time to rest. According to my original game plan I’m already a month behind, but I figured spending time on critical feedback and getting my goals and stories in shape (which are essentially the backbone of my applications) would pay dividends when it comes to writing my essays.

And it seems like I’m not the only one left wondering where July went. MBA on my mind, Pulling That MBA Trigger and texaswannabecali have all blogged with the same thought. In fact, I don’t know anybody who’s claimed the MBA application process was a doddle – we’re in good company!

Finally, I’d like to share some love with Grant Me Admission! for his excellent post which will help any of you struggling with their GMAT plan of attack and school research.

Back to my magically expanding to do list – at least updating my blog is checked off (for now)!

Current Student
Send PM
FROM Farhanc85: Why INSEAD??
Thispost by topdogmba inspired me to write about my dream school. In the battle with GMAT i shouldn't forget the real war :). With representation from over 70 countries, I don't think you can get more global than this. INSEAD admission says "Our aim is to build an exciting, dynamic and diverse student body." My goal is to be part of this exciting, dynamic and diverse student body.

My experience in Middle east has made me the importance of understanding global culture and work in synergy with people from different culture. The flexibility of a global learning in terms of geography, industry and function is what attracts me the most to INSEAD. The qualities that INSEAD looks at Global Awareness, Self-awareness, Collaborative leadership attracts me to be a part of such an institution.

This week I am trying to get in touch with current Indian students and alumnus from INSEAD to learn from their experiences. So far the responses have been encouraging. I will write a comprehensive posts from my interaction just like topdogmba soon. For me my biggest challenge would be to differentiate myself from the competitive Indian pool of candidate( rich experience in technology, high gmat, global exposure), well I have 1 of those 3, but i also have a certain level of self-awareness and clarity of goals different from others which I need to bring out in my essays. I am getting nervous as I haven't started writing yet but yes I will soon start with my drafts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: My Journey to 760 (Part 3) – The Breakthrough
*This is part of a series on my journey to get a 760. Part 1 & Part 2 can be found here. With about 3 weeks left,…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: Switching up schools
It’s official. I’m removing Darden from my list of schools and putting Fuqua into the mix instead. Darden did tick a lot of boxes for me, but as good as it is for consulting, I don’t want to put myself under an undue amount of stress and pressure. I’m not saying that an MBA should be a breeze, but I don’t want to spend all of my time cooped up indoors. As an engineering grad with a 9+ GPA, I’ve spent enough time with my nose stuck to a book. I want to have enough time to really explore the campus, get involved in all the activities a school has to offer and meet a ton of different people.

This means I’m now applying to:

• Yale R1
  • Tuck Early Action
  • Johnson R1
  • Fuqua R1
I guess that means my scientific analysis was a little skewed. But I guess I would have to change a few entries in that to get a better picture of schools that fit me best. Darden wouldn’t score as much in the ‘Fit’ section and Fuqua would get some points there. Durham, NC isn’t that bad after all. Also with Fuqua, I will have an alumni referral and Team Fuqua seems to be pretty big on that. Hopefully that helps because I really love the sound of the program and the bond that students seem to have even decades after graduating. I guess it really helps to talk to someone from the program face to face rather than over email!

Current Student
Send PM
FROM Farhanc85: To be or ISB!!!!!!
After INSEAD's post I thought I will write something on the only school which I did research for in 2013. I am not someone with deep pockets, I am a guy in entry level management role who could do well for himself with some enhancement to his profile. I can easily fly down to Mumbai/ask my wife to fly to Hyderabad whenever it gets tough. I am not a CAT guy(I did this when I was younger and although I managed to score well, I don't see myself doing that again). I have international exposure, so I know the importance of a global education.I want to go back to school to learn/unlearn and be aware about the happenings in my surrounding. I don't want to limit myself to an industry/function for the rest of my life.

Conglomeration of all these factors about me made ISB my topmost choice last year. When I was at the campus I just had a feeling of calm over myself. The relaxed environment, those quads in the student village which were together yet secluded somehow gave a warm welcome. The atrium which was quiet during my visit gave me a view of how I would fit in If i was at ISB. I started day-dreaming of completing projects there, chilling with new friends and having discussion on latest buzzwords in business. I met some students from Retail Club(a field of interest for me) and had discussion on e-commerce, brick and mortar, FDI so on and so forth. In the night I saw a couple of guys near the quad that I was staying in, opening bottles on the staircase and discussing their day. This was a perfect scene for me.

I don't have the kind of money to spend for school visits abroad, but my visit to ISB gave a feeling of being in a global school. In my research last year I found that most of the alums are still tied with ISB in some form or other, making it one of the only school in India with such High alum interactions. The network itself boasts more than 5000 members across countries in every field of management. Although I am against plagiarism in essays i cannot end this post without a dedication to WS

To be or ISB, that's the question,
Whether it's nobler in the mind to suffer with what ye do,
The slings and arrows of outrageous monotony,
Or to arm thyself with an MBA degree.

And thus the native hue of resolution is made stronger,
Is strengthened through the rays of thought,
And enterpises of great pith and moment,
Thy shall grow with ISB.

(I know the last line is a bit cheesy, but I couldn't help it ;)

Cheers 
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Application Status
In less than 50 days, I will be submitting my application for at least one of my chosen schools (Sloan has the honour of being the school with the tightest deadline for me). Here’s a look at where I am now with respect to my MBA applications GMAT: Done (710 – well within the 80% […]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: How to Prepare Your Recommenders
Have you seen the new blog postfrom the Tuck adcom about recommenders? If not,check it out now. It answers a lot of frequently asked questions and gives some helpful advice. I've recently been asked by a couple of blog readers some similar questions, and I think Pat Harris (Tuck adcom) answers those questions well.

But anyway, if you've read that post and still want my advice, then keep reading. Once you've decided who to choose for your letters of recommendation, it's not enough to just send them the online link and leave the rest up to fate (well, it's probably enough for some people, but if you're reading this blog, then it shouldn't be enough for you). However, you absolutely can not (and should not) write your recommendations yourself. Nevertheless, you can provide guidance to your recommenders to steer them in the right direction.

I created individual Recommender Packets and set up coffee chats with each of my recommenders. During our meetings (and in the packets), I noted my career goals, explained why I wanted an MBA, and then reminded them of some of my major accomplishments (i.e. "Remember how awesome I am and all of those great things I did!") I don't know if they chose to describe those things in my letters of recommendation, but it was a helpful starting point to get them brainstorming. I also let them know about particular areas that would be helpful for them to address. For example, coming from a less traditional field, I needed the adcom to know that I do actually have strong analytical and quantitative skills, and I can really compete with the finance kids. I let my recommenders know that this was an area of concern for me, then I asked them to comment on some of the major initiatives that I've led that highlight those areas. Your recommendations should reinforce the strengths and stories highlighted throughout your application, while also providing additional insight into your candidacy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: Recommendations . . . and Work.
For weeks I have debated how I am going to ask my current supervisor at work for a letter of recommendation. And not just one, but…
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: MBA Application Snag
Let me start this with a summary of my applicant profile: Work Exp: One year in a non-profit. Almost 6 years in consulting. 710 GMAT (Q47, V40) GPA of 3.92 out of 5 College EC’s: member of Student Government, Peer tutor, church volunteer. Post-college EC’s: Founding Board member of a committee at work, professional mentoring […]
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: Inspiration: DO NOT FEAR FAILURE
DO NOT FEAR FAILURE  Filed under: Preparation Tagged: Inspiration
MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: How it started-Part 1- First GMATPrep & tools.
I have taken my first GMAT prep on 26th February. The first score always becomes a surprise as we sometimes have over confidence being from engineering background. I also thought of scoring 600+ (at-least.) but was disappointed. I managed a score of 540 (Q22, V22, IR6) and really struggled with time to complete the exam. It […]
MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: How it started-Part 2- Post Quant
This is part 2 of How it started.

You can find Part 1 here.

I did complete quant but consumed a lot of time because i was busy with some client deliverables. Because of that, office was over charged with lots of extra time to be spent on issues and solving them.

While studying quant I have realised that few questions are very easy to tackle with some small tricks. Like remembering squares, square roots, cubes, cube roots, and some basic formulas.

The GMAT exam is not about what have you studied for the preparation but it’s about your ability to apply some basic and useful steps in general management scenarios. After all you are studying to become an Manager.

To practice with the pace its obvious we need to keep track of the time of each question and average time we spend on each question. If you want to track your speed for each section and want to know your pace, you can use the GMAT timer which can give you more specific details section wise and it is perfect to use while practicing. I have also used a Snap Timer which a small and easy to use application for desktop but it is just a timer.

After completing quant, retook my GMATPrep (in between I have to format my machine so I lost my previous result). And shockingly it was 530 (10 points below from previous score)

But my Quantitative score was increased from 22 to 46. That is a positive point.

So Now I really have to work on my Verbal. I have already completed SC and CR portion of the verbal and completed questions of Official Guide for Verbal, 2nd Edition and Official Guide for GMAT, 13th Edition for SC and CR. I will complete RC study portion within 2-3 days and will be posting my further progress.

Comments!!

Filed under: Preparation Tagged: GMAT, GMATPrep, Guide, Journey, Quant, Study, Tool, Verbal
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  48