GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2014, 04:00
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: Interview invite from London Business School…
I was in the middle of making preparations at a travel agent for my trip to the US for the CFA Conference when I got the mail from London Business School. It was an interview invite for the second round of the Executive MBA Program. I was told to come over to Dubai on April 30, 2014 for the interview, which will also include a ten minute presentation.

A look at my itinerary and the costs of one way tickets halfway across the world and the thoughts of staying up in the skies for almost 30 hours within a space of 2 – 3 days was really scary. Maybe if I was going to fly first class all the way, I could have given it a second thought. I fired a mail back, and we concluded on doing the interview at the end of May.

Now, the only downside was that I would end up probably interviewing with Round 3 candidates, and the competitiveness could be a little tighter. But the upside is that I would have a full month to prepare for the interview and the presentation; the cost of waiting a little bit would probably be offset by a far much better preparation. I have been reading Pitch Perfect by Bill McGowan and I have seen ways on how to tremendously improve my presentation skills. Yea, so the wait would probably be worth it.

Another upside is that the number of INSEAD full time MBA candidates has been going down on MBA Connect. Maybe, I may get a call from INSEAD before the interview. If that happens, I will add the flight ticket to Dubai for the LBS interview to the INSEAD tuition fees. I hope it happens.

Fingers crossed.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Blog updated: July 27, 2014
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 03:00
FROM Domotron's Blog: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series

Apologies for my hiatus, it’s been a bit of a whirlwind over the past month or so. I will try and put a post up at some point everything I have been up to. Before then, it’s time to head back to my Elements of an MBA application series. Pretty good timing too as schools have recently started releasing their deadlines and essay prompts for this fall. This post is all about how to plead for a recommendation!

Getting recommendations can be a really simple process or incredibly awkward depending on your work situation and industry. For applicants from consulting and banking, you will have an easier time because your industries are big feeders into MBA programs. Chances are your recommenders will have written MBA recommendations before and may even have an MBA themselves. Throw in the fact that MBAs is almost part of the career progression in those industries, your recommenders should not be surprised or fazed by the process.

For those less fortunate, you will be coming from a non-feeder industry or maybe even a pretty non-tradition background. This post is more for this type of applicant because you will have to guide your recommender through the whole process. From my experience, the recommendation process can be broken down into the following components:

• Breaking the news – Chances are you are a driven high achiever at work so it may be a shock to your recommenders that you are plotting your escape. You will want to sit them down individually on a 1-on-1 basis to talk through your rationale for an MBA. Making them understand your decision will help when they write their recommendations.
  • Putting together a guide for your recommenders – You, as applicants, will want to take your time over this stage. The recommenders guide is the key document that will help your recommenders through the process. In it, you will want to detail what you think are your most impactful experiences and contributions that you want your recommenders to think about. Do keep these points brief as you don’t want your recommenders just to copy and paste your words. Do tell them up front how incredibly difficult it is to get into business school. In all honesty, you probably don’t want a recommendation that says your performance is fair to middling. You really need it to say you have amazing potential and are a standout performer. For British applicants, this is especially pertinent. Understatements and deprecating comments will not help you.
  • Setting deadlines – It’s a tough ask for recommenders to do all this extra work on top of their day jobs. Therefore inevitably they may struggle to meet deadlines you set for them. My tip is to tell them the deadline is at least 2 weeks prior to the actual deadline for submitting your application. Therefore you have a good buffer in case they come across an unexpectedly heavy workload and don’t complete your recommendations in time.
Hopefully, by following these 3 steps your recommendation process will be straightforward. For me, it was tough initially as my recommenders struggled to get to grips with the whole process but they definitely improved as the process went on While you can’t tell them what to write, make sure they understand that you are still a resource to help them through the recommendation process.

FAQ and debunking some myths

• How many recommenders should I use?

Really, it depends. I only used 2 because they were by far the best people to talk about my strengths and weaknesses. If I used more, then I think my recommendations would have suffered. However, the process was pretty tedious for them because they had to write 5 individual recommendations each. If you plan on applying to 4+ schools, it may be an idea to recruit more than 2 recommenders to spread out the load.
  • My recommenders asked me if I could just write it for them, what do I do?

Whatever you do, DO NOT write your own recommendations. Some people try and the admissions teams have reviewed a lot of recommendations and they can spot a fraudulent one a mile away. If this recommender is not willing to invest their time into helping you, they are probably not the best advocate for you anyhow.
  • Can my recommenders write one generic recommendation and submit it to schools?

Absolutely not. Think about it, why would a school go out of their way to admit someone who cannot follow the simplest instructions like every other applicant. Again, if your recommender suggests this they may not be the best advocate for you.
  • How much guidance should I give to my recommenders?

This a very tricky question. Personally, I think it’s fine to give them a lot of raw materials to work with by giving them bullet points about great achievements and experiences in your recommenders guide. What you shouldn’t be doing is telling them which to use or discourage them from using their example. Remember, your recommenders probably know you far better than you think and may have a really insightful anecdote that you have forgotten.
Previous posts

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2014, 16:00
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: Concluding the London Business School Interview
The interview is finally done. The application process to London Business School is coming to a close, and yes, the final closure will be sometime next week. The natural question is “How did the interview go?”

And my answer is “So so. Comme ci comme ca.”

As an MBA applicant who just concluded his/her interview, the first response is to look at the negatives, give them a weight of 90% and then take the positives and apply a weight of 10%. Then pray for the best and prepare for the worst, only to end up a neurotic mess. I have done that before. Strangely one of the questions one of the interviewers (yes, I was interviewed by two nice ladies who are adcom members and who both have names that sound almost alike the Thomson and Thompson characters in Tintin) asked was what I was going to do if I was not accepted into the Executive MBA Programme at London Business School. I was on a roll at that time and my response, which was quite fast, was “I will re-apply”. Both of them laughed at the response. But I truly meant it.

After seeing the school, the facilities, the curriculum, and considering it in the context of my current career trajectory, I feel the school will be a really good fit. And the good thing is this. Nobody is going to tell me one of these pesky little lines that I have gotten really tired of hearing:

• You are a little on the older side
  • You have too much work experience
  • Your current job title will make adcoms wonder what you need an MBA for
  • Your quant score is a little weak for a top end school
Strangely one of the questions I was asked was “How were you able to get such a high GMAT score?” The first reaction, in my head, was “Huh?” My brain could not process the fact that the adcom really called my score “high”. I mean this is the same score that I have been told I needed to improve upon to have a shot at Wharton. The question caused a meltdown in the synaptic connections between my ears and my mouth because I could not process the information fast enough. Then I tailgated (you will have to pick up a copy of Pitch Perfect my Bill McGowan to understand what that means), and then I crashed. I ended up answering why I was unable to score 730. That was the third mistake I made in the interview.

Now to the first mistake. I took coffee, without eating, when I woke up in the morning. I had to drag myself out of bed at 8am for a 10am interview. The coffee without sugar and milk caused a sugar crash in my system. That coupled with the jet lag made me a nervous wreck at 9.45am. That was mistake number one.

The interview started off with a presentation. I felt confident, in my head, but my mouth betrayed my nervousness. My voice was shaky. I should have overcome this within 3 – 4 minutes because I really loved making presentations, but it went through all the 10 minutes plus. Mistake number two. Am I going to be marked down for that? I don’t know. But here is what I know. I delivered my message. And how do I know this?

One of the adcom members (not one of the interviewers) was taking me around the campus when another member (also not an interviewer) rushed down the staircase to meet me. She was all excited and went “So you were one of the doctors that delivered a baby on board a British Airways flight from Abuja to London? I actually know someone who was aboard the flight!”. That was one of the “cool stories” in my presentation, and it must have been memorable enough for her to know just a few minutes after I walked out of the interview room. I think it is a dead giveaway.

But…

I am still an MBA applicant. And I will assign a weight of 10% to cool stories and 90% to shaky voice caused by an unusual amount of caffeine in the system and a bloody jet lag.

So I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst while making a neurotic mess of myself because I am still an MBA applicant after all.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 08:00
FROM Grant Me Admission: My Journey to 760 (Part 1)
“GrantMeAdmission you got a 710, and now you want a 760? Are you crazy??!?!” I am now on Week 4 of my crazy study mode. Right now…Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2014, 11:02
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: Attending a student hosted event
Erm, so after having read many, many blogs about campus visits and the like, I decided to see what events were happening off campus, since I’m definitely not going to be able to squeeze in a trip to the States any time soon. As I was randomly going through websites yesterday idly registering for a few events in different cities at that, I suddenly happened to see an event for Booth in my own city that is happening today! This is so surprising because literally, no one comes here. Also, hello destiny?! I wasn’t even considering Booth in my list and it just so happens that I see this event a day before it’s scheduled to happen… The universe is calling out to me here.

I’m not sure if I should sound perfectly convinced about applying to Booth or just wing it when I go there. It would be stupid to show up not knowing if I even want to apply but I have no choice. I don’t want to skip the event, god knows these things happen once in a blue moon. After a lot of asking and skulking around, this is a list of things I would like to achieve after having attended the event:

• Find two or more mentors, recent graduates from the school who can guide me through the application process.
  • Identify what makes the school tick. Find out as much insider information as I possibly can, stuff that I could actually use in my essays and interviews later on.
  • Network, network, network. Find someone who works in the admissions office or knows someone who does. No admissions officer is going to be at this event, so if I could possibly be put in touch with someone, I might have an edge?
  • Ask about career prospects post MBA, especially once back in India.
Any more ideas anyone? Let me know. I’ll update once I’ve actually attended the event. Also… I don’t have any visiting cards. How am I supposed to exchange contact information? Good ol’ pen and paper? Just note email addresses down? Meh. Must invest in visiting cards.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 13:00
FROM Farhanc85: GMAT and Running
Today while running early morning, it hit me that I am running away from MOCKs. Finally I have decided to take Veritas Prep second mock test this weekend. To brush up my Verbal skills i decided to take a Gmatclub Verbal test and scored a dismal 25(21q of 41). After seeing my mistakes, I realized I am jumping towards the wrong answer choice like a cling on. Still not applying the e-gmat process. It's weird every time I think of e-gmat i think of 329$.

Anyways, so in my previous post I was discussing about 30 days of change program by Neila Ray. I am feeling good after doing the exercises, hope it has a positive effect on my studying. I am still not looking at the essays, just reading up random stuff on schools and school blogs. Well I hope with this concentration on GMAT when the push comes to shove I am not shooting blanks.

Wrote a profile evaluation to MBA exchange, actually I ended up at MBA exchange after reading this . Its ad interview with INSEAD alumni currently working with MBA exchange. A very good read for all Indian applicants. Thinking about forming an Indian applicant group for INSEAD. I have 3 people as of now who are ready to join the group, will wait couple of more days and then create it.

Too sleepy to study now so watching Weild Al videos. This guy is intelligent.

Good night now!!!!

Cheers

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 16:00
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: A scholarship from London Business School!
I was in my office minding my own business, preparing for a board meeting, when I got an email alert. My first reaction was to ignore it but then when I saw the header “London Business School”, I dumped everything to open the email. Maybe the admission guys were just sending a friendly reminder about the next payment deadline for August 1, 2014. As if I would forget. I opened the email, and there it was… “Congratulations… blah blah blah Scholarship”!

I could not immediately process the words between the congratulations and the scholarship. I have had a difficult time talking to my employer about my desire to attend the Executive MBA Program at London Business School. I was the first person to ever make such a request at my company for something like this and there was no policy about it. So my case had to be taken to the board of directors. Now, I saw this scholarship, which will cover 30% of the tuition as another bargaining tool. I understand my employer’s fear that I may use the LBS platform to take off for a more juicer appointment; but if I wanted to, I would have resigned my position long time ago.

My first reaction was to forward the email to my boss who had gone for the Hajj in Saudi Arabia immediately. I got a response from him after a few hours congratulating me, and then I knew that the battle might just be tilting in my favor. I hope I will not be forced to make a difficult decision between my employment and the business school, but if I have to, I know where my heart lies.

Wish me luck for the remaining part of the battle with my employer…

MBA Blogger
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-09-2014

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 01:00
FROM TexasWannaBeCali: GMAT Study Schedule Breakdown

It’s officially August!! This year man… literally FLYING by!

I have decided to share my “Less than a month til the GMAT” prep schedule. Feel free to use what I’m doing as a guide for those of you with test dates coming up or even critique what I have planned and let me know what you think worked and didn’t work for you. I’m a first timer so I’m open to any and all suggestions.

I have plenty of practice tests at my disposal and I plan on using them. I have 2 mock exams that I will only practice the verbal section: a) to work on timing, b) assess my weaknesses, c) accomplish both of these without having to sit for the whole exam

My weekends will mainly be focused on practicing quant problems and intensely reviewing my trouble areas. The amount of time on weekdays after work just isn’t adequate enough for me to fully invest in correcting my weaknesses, so these next few weekends are critical.

The week of August 4th will be devoted to not just practicing a section per day, but also working on my timing. I will be following the Manhattan GMAT’s time management chart, keeping track of whether I: a) got the question right and in the recommended time frame b) got the question right but over time c) got the question wrong but didn’t waste much time doing so d) got the question wrong and spent too much time trying to figure it out. Obviously I’m aiming for mostly A’s and C’s

The week of August 11th I want to use my evenings reviewing strategies for each section. There are numerous sites that offer tips and review strategies so I’m sure I’ll find plenty to occupy me for hours each day. I feel like I started this process so long ago that the little things I made mental notes about or even jotted down, have slipped my mind so this will be a good refresher week.

I will start reviewing the Integrated Reasoning and the Essay sections of the test the Saturday before the exam. Thanks to all you for your comments on my previous post asking about when I should start this.

Everyday I plan on looking over flashcards whether its at breakfast or while I’m on the stairmaster and doing the GMAT Club Question of the Day, just to keep my brain stimulated.

I’ve taken a lot of you guys’ advice and decided to take off the Wednesday before the test (instead of that Friday) to do my last practice test. I am a perfectionist and kind of insane at times, so I know if I took a practice test the day before the exam and didn’t score as high as I would like, I would FREAK OUT. I will still be in study mode on Thursday and Friday but maybe not couped up in the corner of the library like I previously thought.

From most debriefs I have read, I get the sense most applicants take this exam at least twice to reach their desired score, sometimes more. The GMAT, and the MBA application process in general really, is such a trial and error experience and sometimes just having done it once before is the greatest advantage you can have because you know what to expect. I’m well aware that if I don’t score as high as I would like, I’m in the majority and still have plenty of time to redeem myself. So if nothing else, this first shot at G-day will be a learning experience nevertheless, and I’m ready… I think.

DECODING MY CALENDAR

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 13:00
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: FOMO is real
Classes haven't even started yet, and I'm already experiencing FOMO.

The number of events that I've already received invites for is mind-boggling. Should I go on that Cape Cod retreat, attend the Gatsby party, Color Block party, cocktails and networking event, yacht day, dinner with ECs, etc???... oh yeah, and at some point between those events, I'll also need to read a bunch of cases, be prepared to be cold-called, familiarize myself with campus, try to meet new people, and get re-adjusted to living with a roommate.

Holy crap, this year is going to be crazy...and amazing... but definitely crazy.

So anyway, I'm learning that HBS is a very social place. Last year, when researching MBA programs, I heard so much about the fun activities and parties that pervade Kellogg and the friendliness of students at programs like Tuck and Fuqua. HBS was designated as the uber competitive, suit-wearing "bro." But, so far at least, I haven't experienced that at all. Everyone I've met has been super supportive and down to earth. We'll see what happens once classes start, but I'm feeling very happy about my decision to matriculate here.

Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2014, 06:00
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Revolution 1
Along time has passed with radio silence on my side (I’m picking up a bit of a theme among applicant bloggers at the moment!). Like most of you, I’m deep into my applications and – I’m sorry to say – even a few minutes typing a post had been demoted while I worked on getting my first essays drafted.

Fortunately, my application strategy is taking shape. Here’s how it looks:

It’s definitely not perfect – and arguably I could’ve put that hour dabbling in Excel to better use – but it’s designed to make the initial writing phase tough so I can spend more time polishing up the later drafts. I’ve also dived into the essays without planning to write specifically about the school itself.

So, for example, despite Wharton’s Essay 1 prompt ‘What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA?’, I’ve left out any reference to Wharton for the time being and focused on the personal and professional gains, and why I need an MBA.

Obviously the Wharton angle will have to be introduced in the next edit, but it helped to simplify the first draft and encouraged me to start writing rather than doing my research and trying to nail a ‘perfect’ first draft.

Hopefully, you have figured out your own system that works for you. I’m definitely a proponent of starting to write earlier than you think you need to – those weeks and months to submission are flying by! In case you need any further influence to get started there are some pretty good resources from b schools and consultants for free out there (more on this in my next post).

Verba volant, scripta manent (up to 20 posts now!)

V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2014, 14:12
farhanc85 wrote:
FROM Farhanc85: Finally a 700!!!!
After 14 Mocks and almost 10 months I scored a 700. I am afraid it might be too little too late. Anyways key takeaway was, I wasn't at all stressed today and was focused only on problem. Trying to actually imagine them. Q49 and V37, well lets see where I max out before 4th Sept.

On the research front, I am completely focused on INSEAD right now. Speaking to current students, students entering Jan 2015 Batch and also few alums. Everyone has got a story and the most common theme from each of their stories is "Its a transformational experience". I believe that should be the theme of my essays. Till now I am just creating an outline for the essays, need to start writing asap.

Fellow applicants have already started submitting their apps.

4th Sept GMAT, 26th Sept INSEAD submission.

Wish me luck

Cheers

Congratulations and Good Luck

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
MBA Blogger
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
GPA: 3.03
WE: Marketing (Other)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 04:29
FROM MBA on my Mind: July has slipped by and how?

July hasn’t been particularly productive for me. I had a ton of stuff planned and I managed to do only 60%, which means the unfinished business is going to spill over to August. I REALLY need to step on it! GMAT preparation is going so-so, had a 2 week pause in the prep, though (Which I know I am going to pay for). Oh and I might have a suicidal streak in me because, looks like I will have to schedule my GMAT for the 24th of September, which incidentally coincides with my Kellogg Round 1 deadline! What’s an admission season without some drama eh? I have a plan though. Wish me luck, Guys?

I have frozen on my two recommenders. Recommender number 1, the Ex-CEO of my previous company. I spoke to him last week and he was on board. He didn’t flinch when I told him there’d be 6 – 7 schools! I am so grateful, because he is a super busy person. Recommender number 2, the COO of my company. Well, after my Mum and Dad, he is my biggest mentor and cheerleader. It is soo reassuring and humbling, when you have people you’ve worked with rooting for you. You stop being super critical of your self and think, okay maybe, I won’t suck so much at business school and that MAYBE I will bring something valuable to the table.

On to the realm of essay strategies. I have taken Koodzi’s advice and always carry a ‘Black book of Essay Ideas’ on my person. It has been so helpful, especially for me, inspiration has this uncanny ability of striking at odd times. So, yes I have some good stories to work with. I start my sessions with the admission consultant from the 5th of August, I will keep you guys posted on how that progresses.

So, I have done some research and some heavy, heavy reflection and have decided to add Texas ( McCombs) to my school mix to offset the removal of either Cornell or Haas (Or both). Haas, like Stanford is a long shot for me and their low acceptance rates is really terrifying. Cornell, I haven’t really dug too much into. I want to make an informed decision, so I will have a chat with my admissions consultant and do some serious research! More on my final decision in the next post!

Your thoughts, guys?

MBA Blogger
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
GPA: 3.03
WE: Marketing (Other)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 04:29
FROM MBA on my Mind: A brief intermission & a B School Tally Entry
It is great to be back to the blogosphere, I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms. But things are quite lull ‘ed’ out here at the moment, aren’t they? I am sure everyone is working their butt off on GMAT prep and their applications.

A lot has happened since my last post. Exciting stuff, for the most part ! Work-wise things have been cra-aa-zzy (the good kinda crazy), our business so far has been bootstrapped, but with rapid expansion on the cards, the hunt for other avenues of funding has become imperative . So, over the past couple of months we’ve approached various angel investors to pitch our idea. A couple of leads went through to the second round of discussions, so my life of late, has become a frenzy of financials, business models and investor pitch presentations. It’s amazing how this experience has stretched my mind and given me feedback on the skills I need to hone, at business school of course. Great bits of content to inject into my essays.

Speaking of essays, I have started out with my admissions consultant. My immediate, Short-term and Long-term MBA goals have crystalized into something concrete, waiting to hear comments on that, at the same time I have gotten a couple of success, leadership and ‘why MBA now’ accounts to work with.

The GMAT prep is going full swing. I will have a post specifically on my preparation strategy and material in another post. You won’t believe what’s keeping me motivated, it’s Facebook feeds and Instagrams from all my target schools. The class of 2016 is having it’s orientation and the social media is flooded with pictures of clam bakes (that’s right, a clambake dinner on the frickin’ beach – Yale SOM), barbecues, mock classes (Ross) and meets . I WANT to be doing those things next fall! LET’S DO THIS!

So, My business school Tally board is about 90% done with the completion of the ‘ROSS’ section. Michigan Ross is a school I connected with way back in November, 2013. Extremely friendly current students, they went out of their way to answer all my questions thoroughly. A fantastic school, Marketing and Social Enterprise have a special focus. My experience in the past few months with prepping for discussions and meetings with Angel Investors and VC’s has been an eye opener and has left me with a yearning  for an understanding of the dynamics of social Impact funding, I have been consciously looking for a ‘VC and Social Impact funding exposure’ feature in my target schools, – Kellogg, Stanford and Ross tick that box for me!

Ross on the B school Tally Board. I am loving their new & improved website.                                                    http://michiganross.umich.edu/

Grantmeadmission and Texaswannabecali , guys CRUSH the GMAT ! Make me proud !! :D

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 10:53
FROM Scott Duncan: Profile Building: How to Write Better Essays
Pictured above: My writing tools of the trade – Whiskey, pen and paper. Old school, I know.

Well, it’s certainly been a while since I’ve posted. Much like GrantMeAdmission, work for me has been crazy. The good news is I have been on vacation for the better part of a week and a half, albeit with very sporadic internet. Really puts a damper on blog posting…

In the past few weeks I have realized why I was so optimistic about the essay plan I posted a while back. Unlike many of you, I already have weeks of upfront work complete. In fact, since I applied last year, I actually feel well ahead of the essay game. I already know what I want the adcom to think about me, and I already have a plan to communicate these concepts through my essays.

However, last year I wasted a ton of time doing informal brainstorming (procrastinating) when what I really needed was a systematized approach to honing my message to the adcom. I thought that I would stumble upon my message through the process of writing the essays. This was a huge mistake. Your essays are a tool to deliver your message clearly and concisely, not the other way around.

Doing the hard work first will save you time in the long run, and will build a foundation for both your essays and interviews. However, it’s definitely not easy, and doing a deep, introspective dive into my career, my motivations for going to b-school, and my greatest successes and failures did not come naturally to me.

So grab a glass of whiskey/wine/beer/poison of choice and get ready to understand yourself.

THE PROCESS
There are a few overarching concepts that every aspiring applicant needs to communicate in their application. These include:

• Leadership
  • Innovation
  • Teamwork
  • Sense of community/service
If you can think of any more, please let me know since I would love to keep this list fresh.

Your application is an exercise in marketing, and these concepts need to be demonstrated consistently throughout your application. So, wouldn’t it make sense to build the foundation of your application using these attributes?

Here’s what I did:

I made a table with four columns like the one below:

Attributes
Stories
Meaning
Essays

The leftmost column I labeled “Attributes.” This is where I listed out the various points or features I wanted to communicate in my essays. I started out by listing the concepts I listed above.

Attributes
Stories
Meaning
Essays

Leadership

Innovation

Teamwork

Etc…

I labeled the second column “Stories.” I thought back over the past few years and wrote down any stories that I could potentially tell that illustrated the attributes I listed in the step before. Anything goes – you can refine your stories later if some have more promise than the others so don’t limit yourself. You may be surprised to see what comes rushing back into your memory if you approach this exercise unconstrained. I came up with as many stories as I could for each attribute.

Attributes
Stories
Meaning
Essays

Leadership
Story showing leadership 1

Story showing leadership 2

Innovation
Innovation Story 1

Innovation Story 2

Innovation Story 3

Teamwork
Teamwork Story 1

Teamwork Story 2

Teamwork Story 3

Etc…

The third column I labeled “Meaning.” For every story, you now have to dig even deeper (uncomfortable, I know). Why is this important? What value does this add to your essay/entire application? Every story needs to earn its place in your application, so this needs to be powerful stuff in order to make the cut. Does this story line up with the message you are trying to drive home to the adcom?

Eventually you will find that some stories have more substance than others, but don’t skip this step unless the story shows absolutely no promise. Again, there is value in the process. In a way you are sifting through the stories of your life in search of a few nuggets of gold. These are the stories that will make it into your essays.

We’ll get to the last column in a minute…

Writing out the attributes/stories/meanings for each of the high-level concepts was only the first step. Think about all of the categories that business schools typically look into when you are applying. Strengths, weaknesses, successes, failures, leadership experiences, teamwork experiences, international experiences…this list goes on and on.

The next step is to write out a separate Attribute/Stories/Meaning table for each of these categories.

For example, take the “Strengths” category. In the Attributes column, list out every strength you think you have. Then, like before, list out stories that really illustrate those strengths. And finally, force yourself to explain on paper why this is important to communicate to the adcom, and how each story describes its respective attribute.

Again, don’t limit yourself. This is your brainstorming process, so if you can think of a different category from the ones I listed above, go for it and make an ASM table for it. And let me know what categories you come up with too.

Finally, it’s time to look at that last column. The last column is titled “Essays.” By now you should know what your essay topics are, and it is in this column that you list out which essays each story could potentially apply to. I used a short code for each essay: something like: Kellogg – Challenge or MIT – Self Rec. It doesn’t have to be complicated, just enough to note your thoughts down. As you are brainstorming stories, it may become obvious that some stories are a great fit for one of the essays you know you will be writing. If that’s the case, you may want to make a note in the essays column as you go along so that you don’t forget – you will be spending a lot of time on these tables!

That’s it! This is a simple process but it’s grueling. I spent about two weeks on this, revisiting the tables every day as I came up with more categories and attributes, and adding more stories to the list as they came to mind.

Now that I’m in the essay writing phase, I revisit my tables every time I write, which is at least once per day. I’m hoping that this keeps me on topic and allows me to deliver a very concise message this application year. I hope it can help you do the same, too.

What do you think? Too structured? Helpful? Let me know in the comments below:

Find this post helpful? Join my mailing list!
Enter your first name and email address to get new topics delivered direct to your inbox.

I promise I’ll never spam you, and you can unsubscribe at any time

The post Profile Building: How to Write Better Essays appeared first on Scott Duncan.

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 10:53
FROM Scott Duncan: How to Help Your Recommenders Write Great Letters of Recommendation
Writing letters of recommendation is not easy. Anyone who has started their “Personal Recommendation” Essay for MIT Sloan should be well aware of this! Remember, yourrecommenders really do want to help you, and if you have chosen the right people they will feel a ton of pressure and ownership over the end result. They know how important this is for your future, and that they can have a significant impact on your application. Compound this with the fact that the Letters of Rec often ask deep, probing questions, and that each letter has to be tweaked for every school, and you can understand why this is such a difficult task (and why anyone who has agreed to write for you is doing you a huge favor). Wouldn’t you want to make this as easy as possible for them?

How I Briefed My Recommenders
I put a “Recommender Packet” together for each of my potential recommenders so that they would have something to refer to throughout the process and to keep them focused.

The “Thank You!” Page
This is what the first page looked like:

Thank You!
Dear [name], Thank you so much for agreeing to write a letter of recommendation for me. I greatly appreciate the time and effort you are putting into this. I put together some guidelines for you since I know that writing a letter like this is not exactly easy. I also hope that this will cut down on the total amount of time you have to spend writing. Your letter of recommendation is a very important part of my application. It is one of the few ways that the admissions board can gauge the character of the individual behind the application, instead of just relying on test scores, a resume, and a list of extracurricular activities. Your perspective will definitely add a lot of value. So thank you once again, you are doing me a huge favor! -Scott [Phone]

The “Big Picture” Page
On the second page, I listed my b-school thesis statement. It’s kind of like my elevator pitch – a concise statement of why I want a MBA, and how getting an MBA will help me achieve my goals. I also described in detail my overall strategy and some of the attributes that I wanted to express in my application: innovation, leadership, teamwork, hands-on product development experience etc. This was to help them understand the image of myself that I am trying to present to the Adcom. It’s worth noting that some of my recommenders are more well-versed in what B-Schools are looking for than others. With this in mind, for some of my recommenders I omitted the strategy section and description of the attributes that make up a good application.

The Brainstorming Worksheet
On the third page, I gave them a worksheet that outlined the same process that I posted before for brainstorming writing topics, with the personal attributes you want to communicate to the Adcom as the foundation. Some of your recommenders may request that you fill this sheet out yourself and provide them with examples of stories they could tell to back up any points they try to make in their letters. Mine recommenders did, and I’m providing them with ideas for stories that I know I will NOT be using in the rest of my app. I want to avoid overlap. In addition, I’m giving them just enough info to get them thinking – a few words to jog their memories on an event. Otherwise, I’m afraid that with too much information, their writing will not develop a unique voice or provide the outside perspective that a successful letter needs to deliver.

The Questions
It wasn’t until this point that I listed the questions my recommenders needed to answer, broken down by school. I also included information about the steps they would need to take to submit the letter, whether or not they would need to fill out any additional information like a leadership grid, and word limits.

The Checklist
And finally, on the last page I added a checklist with check boxes so big they would have no choice but to complete it. I wanted to make sure that my recommenders were going through their letters and asking the same questions I was asking myself for my essays.   Some of the questions I asked were:

Does the letter of recommendation:

• Recommend me without a doubt?
  • Give an example of how I am innovative?
  • Demonstrate my leadership ability?
  • Demonstrate my teamwork ability?
  • Demonstrate that I am part of the community at work and beyond?
  • Mention at least one criticism that can be easily addressed by getting an MBA?
  • Demonstrate a strength in quantitative and analytical abilities?
  • Use specific and detailed examples and back up any points with proof?
  • Support that my career goals are achievable and realistic?
  • Avoid generalities?
And that was it! Overall the idea was well received by my recommenders, and I hope that it saved them some time and frustration.   Would you like a copy of the grid I used to brainstorm my essays and help my recommenders brainstorm their own? Leave a comment below:

Subscribe now and never miss a post
Follow me on my journey through the MBA application process

Get Updates!
I value your privacy and would never spam you

The post How to Help Your Recommenders Write Great Letters of Recommendation appeared first on Scott Duncan.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2014, 15:00
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: The Executive MBA at London Business School begins…
I was in the middle of a meeting at exactly 12 noon today when it hit me that under normal circumstances, I should have been in London, meeting my new classmates for the next 20 months. The Executive MBA at London Business School begins… but I am not in class because I was forced to defer till September, 2015.

I got to my office, opened up my Expedia homepage and looked longingly at all the trips I had planned for the next three months; it was painful. The whole application experience from all the dings and finally getting admission to LBS, only to wait for one year. I don’t even want to think of all the money I had spent.

But the good thing that I had to keep reminding myself of is that I have one whole year to put things in place and gain more experience. The fact that I am not going to business school this year has also made me buckle down and take life a little bit more seriously. I have a whole lot of investments in different asset classes scattered all over the place, and I don’t even know my net worth. If I am not going to business school this year, I might as well consolidate my portfolio, and optimize the asset classes and securities to fit into my current profile. I also have enough time to really mull over what I am going to do with my life after business school; I don’t see myself in paid employment in four years from now.

Another good thing is that I don’t need to worry about being too old in one year from today. The average number of years of experience in the EMBA Class is 11 years for the Dubai Stream, which I applied for, but I have only 8 years. Add next year and I will hit 9 years.

And yes, time to dust my old books and brush up my French…

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 08:01
FROM Grant Me Admission: My Interview with Tuck
Hey everyone, today I will be reviewing my interview with Tuck. As many of you already know, I applied to only Tuck last year, as I…Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2014, 14:00
FROM Coffee Beans And Tea Leaves: I am in…and I am going South!
I got in! I got in! I got in! Got the Early Decision Admit to Fuqua and I am over the moon. Yes there were tears. I am done with is process and soooo ready to begin the next phase. I shall be back to writing more often once I feel more coherent but I […]Image

-MBAJunkie
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 14:00
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: I want to tell you …Wharton interview invite!
Yes Yes YES!!! I’m very excited to be able to post this great bit of news after a nervous day of inbox refreshing (don’t we all know that feeling by now!?).

Still some work to do but feels good to be back in the running at my top choice b school.

Congratulations to my fellow invitees :)

And commiserations to anyone who didn’t get the news they were hoping for today – I know that feeling too!

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 15:01
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Bad News from Wharton
So, I woke up from the flu I was nursing to find out I got a ding from Wharton. That was a shocker, I was fairly certain I would get in. On to Booth interview prep and waiting for Stanford + Sloan. I’ll update this post tomorrow.  Image

Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2014, 15:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  48    Next  [ 946 posts ] 

Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi