Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Do you want to know a secret …INSEAD offer!
Yes! I got the call in the last 24 hours …admitted to INSEAD!

I’m feeling pretty special right now, so excuse the silly grin and jumping for joy. Speaking of which, Beatrice (my dog, THE dog!) was also jumping for joy when she heard the news. She is one step closer to being the belle of campus!

Thank you all for your support dear friends and readers, and know that I’m right behind you on your own MBA journey.

I’ve been neglectful of my blog lately but am right now typing up my interview reports – the first of which appears below and the rest will follow one day at a time.

I’m still waiting eagerly to hear from MIT Sloan and Wharton, but it feels great to know that I’m doing my MBA next year, no matter what!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM My Journey to Business School: Interview Report – UCLA Anderson
I just finished my Skype interview with a 2nd year student at UCLA Anderson. It was super friendly and the interviewer really put me at ease before we started. I think the interview went well. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a good feeling about Anderson – I hope Anderson feels the same way about me. :D

As for interview questions, they were pretty standard:

1) Walk me through your resume.

2) Tell me about a time you led a team. [I probably could have used a better example here - he asked me multiple follow-up questions on how I did what I did.]

3) Why MBA? Why now?

4) Why UCLA Anderson? [When I mentioned interacting with current students/alumni, the interviewer asked for specific names of students I connected with. It turned out that one of the students I talked to was a close friend of the interviewer!]

5) Plan B if my current goals do not materialize

6) Leadership Style

7) What do you do outside of work?

That was pretty much the crux of the conversation we had. He asked follow-up questions to some of my answers, especially about my interests outside of work. :) I asked him a few questions at the end of the interview and he shared his email ID with me so that I can reach out to him in the future with any questions I might have. It was a positive experience overall, and to those applicants with interviews coming up, I have just one piece of advice – just relax and be yourself. It’s a really laid back interview – treat this as you would any interaction with a current student – an opportunity to get to know more about Anderson and to showcase your enthusiasm for the school.

If any of you would like to talk more about Anderson or have any specific questions about my interview experience, do let me know!

EDIT: People preparing for the interview or waiting for an invite should read this blog by the UCLA Anderson Admissions team. I think it’ll put some people’s mind at ease.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM MBA Data Guru: Stern Acceptance Rate Analysis
Stern Acceptance Rate Analysis

I just finished building the Stern acceptance rate prediction model. I will post the admissions calculator as soon as I have time to finish learning PHP and then build that portion of the website. I’ll probably have time to work on it over Christmas break, but right now I am too busy applying for interviews for summer internships. In the mean time I will share some of the insights I got from building the model.

Stern Acceptance Rate by GMAT
The first thing that jumped out at me was that the acceptance rates I came up with are noticeably higher than the published acceptance rate of 15%. I believe that this is because the average candidate who applies and posts their data on GMAT Club, where I get my data, is more competitive than the average candidate. The average GMAT Club applicant to Stern has a GPA or 3.45 and GMAT of 709, which is not too far from the scores listed on the class profile for Sterns class of 2016 of 3.52 and 721.

If you are applying to Stern, it is pretty obvious that having a higher GMAT is important and will significantly raise your chances of being admitted. To create the graph above, I used my model with the average GPA of 3.45.

Stern Acceptance Rate by GPA
Next I looked at how GPA affects Stern acceptance rate. Once again there is a clear relationship between GPA and admission rate for NYU. In the graph below I used the average GPA score of 709 in my admissions model.

Stern Acceptance Rate by Round
Many candidates want to know if it matters in which round you apply. I took a look at the raw acceptance rate by round for NYU. As you can see the acceptance rate for round 2 is slightly lower and for round 3 it is noticeably lower.

The acceptance rates above are raw numbers, not the predicted values from my admissions model. Why you ask? Because when I took into account all of the other factors, the round you apply in is not statistically significant. The reason the acceptance rate is lower in round 2 and 3 is not because the schools are more selective but because on average lower quality candidates apply in those rounds. If you are a qualified candidate, do not worry about applying to Stern in round 3, you still have a good chance of getting in.

Stern Prefers GMAT over GPA
In the past I tried to figure out if Stern prefers a high GMAT or GPA and didn’t come up with anything conclusive. Now that I have built the Stern admissions model I can see how a similar change in GMAT or GPA impact acceptance rate at Stern. In the graph below I compare how much the admissions rate changes if I alter the GMAT or GPA by a standard deviation. If you are applying to business school then you should probably know what a standard deviation is, however if you don’t it is a standard measure of variance in a population or sample. Since I can’t compare and absolute variance because GMAT and GPA are on different scales, I compare how the shift of one standard deviation impacts the Stern acceptance rate.

In the graph above, you can see that increasing the GPA by one standard deviation (.28) increase acceptance rate by 29%, but raising the GMAT score by one standard deviation (39) leads to a 45% higher chance of admissions. It is clear that Stern prefers candidates with high GMAT score over ones with a high GPA. This is good news for candidates with a low GPA because with enough hard work, you can increase your odds significantly by raising your GMAT.

Other NYU Admissions Insights
I also found that NYU prefers candidates with an average age of 27 to 28, the further you are from this average age, the lower your chance of getting in. Stern really likes candidates that come from consulting. Applicants from consulting had a acceptance rate of 42% vs. 21% for non-consultants. Having more work experience also increased your odds of admissions. Acceptance rate increased by about 2% for each year of work experience. However, once you pass 28, the age deviation factor is significantly stronger than the work experience factor so you shouldn’t wait until after 28 to apply.

I noticed that candidates that majored in business or engineering had a lower chance of admission. Business majors with average scores had a 8% chance of admission compared to 24% for non-business majors. Engineers had a 13% chance of getting in compared to a 26% chance for non-engineers. These differences are statistically significant even after taking into account all other factors. That being said, I majored in engineering and I got into Stern. I also know many other business and engineering majors who are currently attending Stern with me.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Pro GMAT: Accepted Interview
A quick update for this week. I got interviewed by accepted a few days before and it got published this week. You can read it here. MBA Applicant Interview with ProGMAT https://t.co/JMvZFDMDYI — Linda Abraham (@Accepted) December 3, 2014 I also did some research on the final list of the schools. I published my first list of selected … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Harvard Business School Acceptance Rate Analysis
Harvard Business School Acceptance Rate Analysis

How can anyone ensure that they will be accepted to Harvard Business School? Unfortunately there are no assurances at the number one ranked business school which has anacceptance rate of 12%. This analysis will show you what the Harvard Business school acceptance Rate is based on key stats such as GMAT and GPA.

Harvard Business School Acceptance Rate by GMAT
Similar to all other business schools, Harvard does care about your GMAT score. As you can see in the graph below, a higher GMAT results in a better chance of admission. If you want a double digit chance of admission you had better score a 740 or higher. Even at 800 the HBS acceptance rate is surprisingly only predicted to be 16%.

Harvard Business School Acceptance Rate by GPA
Next we look at how GPA affects Harvard Business School acceptance rate. Obviously a higher GPA results in a better chance of admission at HBS. Acceptance rate doesn’t break into the double digits until you hit 3.7. This reminds me of why I didn’t even bother applying to Harvard with my 3.33 GPA. Damn you engineering, why did you ruin my grades?

Harvard Business School Acceptance: GMAT vs. GPA
The real question is which is more important for raising your Harvard Business School acceptance rate, GPA or GMAT? In the graph below I compare how much the admissions rate changes if I alter the GMAT or GPA by a standard deviation. A standard deviation is a measure of variance in a population or sample. Since I can’t compare the absolute variance because GMAT and GPA are on different scales, I compare how the shift of one standard deviation impacts the Harvard MBA acceptance rate.

Unlike at Stern and Wharton, Harvard values GPA over GMAT. Harvard acceptance rate increases by 30% when GPA increases by one standard deviation but only by 25% when GMAT increases by a standard deviation. This indicates that GPA is more important than GMAT at HBS, and they are willing to roll the dice on a candidate with low GMAT like the guy who was accepted last year with a 550.

Other HBS Acceptance Rate Insights
The round you apply in does have an impact on your chance of being accepted at HBS. The difference in acceptance rate for round 2 applicants was statistically significant in the predictive model I built and had a negative impact. On the other hand round 3 was not statistically significant despite having an even lower acceptance rate because so few people apply during that round that I don’t have enough data. Perhaps after this recruiting year is over I’ll have enough data and update the model.

If you want to maximize your chances of getting into Harvard, then be sure to apply during round 1. Additional work experience does increase your odds of getting into Harvard by a small amount, roughly .5% per year. I’m sure a lot of peoples’ next question is what about the 2+2 program? I do know about the 2+2 program Harvard has but I can’t tell which candidates are applying through the 2+2 program vs. not. However I can tell you that of the 59 people in my sample who are 24 years old or younger , none were admitted. So although it is possible to get in if you are younger, it certainly is more challenging.

Next I’ll mention a few factors that are out of your control in the short term but should be known so you can plan accordingly. Similar to Wharton, applicants who are applying from India have a lower chance of admissions, 1.5% vs 9.4%. Applicants who majored in finance have a significantly lower chance of being admitted, 2% vs. 10%. And finally applicants who have worked in venture capital or the military have a much higher admissions rate, 16% and 17% respectively.

Good luck with your Harvard applications!

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Ross Interview Acceptance Rate Analysis
Ross Interview Acceptance Rate Analysis

Earlier today I posted the Ross acceptance rate analysis which shows how GPAand GMAT scores affect your chance of admission at University of Michigan’s MBA program. I received a request to see if GMAT and GPA can still predict acceptance rate out of the applicants who were selected to interview. I would never want to disappoint a reader, so here is my Ross interview acceptance rate analysis. While reading this analysis, keep in mind that around 62% of interviewed applicants are accepted, which is higher than schools like Harvard and Wharton but lower than Stern.

Ross Interview Acceptance Rate by GMAT

In the graph above you can see that there is a clear relationship between Ross acceptance rate even among the applicants selected to interview. The R-squared is 74% which is fairly high, so GMAT is an accurate predictor of admissions post interview. The slope of the line suggests that for every 10 points higher your GMAT is, you have a 2% higher chance of admissions. Unfortunately for those with a low GMAT score, you are not on an equal playing field even after being selected for an interview at Ross.

Ross Interview Acceptance Rate by GPA

There is also a relationship between Ross interview acceptance rate and GPA, but the correlation is much weaker. Just from looking at the graph you can see that the data is more spread out from the regression line. The R-squared of 32% is much lower than the R-squared for GMAT of 74%. All else equal, it would help your chance of admission if you have a high GPA, but it does not seem to matter as much as GMAT.

When I analyzed Harvard Business School acceptance rate, I found that GMAT and GPA could not predict acceptance rate from the pool of applicants selected to interview. Which means everyone who was interviewed were on a level playing field once invited to interview. That does not seem to be the case for Ross. In the end, even with a low GMAT or GPA, you still have a 50% of being accepted after your interview. All you can do is prepare for your Ross MBA interview as much as possible and hope for the best.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Naija MBA Gal: That’s all it really is.
Admission decisions are due next week and like a lot of people, I’m holding my breath. But I feel the need to put this out here. Hopefully, it will help someone put things in perspective. We are all great people doing something very wonderful with our lives. We have dreams and goals and things we want to […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Do you want to know a secret …MIT Sloan offer!
Yes, Yes, YES!! Enough said!

Congratulations to anyone else who got the call today. My call only came a short while ago so there is still hope for y’all!

Off to take the real Top Dog for a long walk to calm myself down.

Will be in touch! :)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM My Journey to Business School: And then there was one.
UCLA Anderson was the only other school I was waiting to hear from, and I really wanted to know if I got in before making a decision on where to attend school. I got the call last night- I’M IN!

They were very generous with a scholarship as well! I haven’t received the official update via email yet, so I’ll wait for that before I post anything out here.

But it’s time for me to CELEBRATE!! :D :D

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM MBA Data Guru: Booth Admissions Rate Analysis
Booth Admissions Rate Analysis

University of Chicago is a fairly selective business school with an acceptance rate of 22%. Similar to Kellogg, Booth has one of the higher acceptance rates for a top 10 school. While building an MBA admission calculator, I uncovered some insights on how Booth evaluates MBA applicants.

Booth Admissions Rate by GMAT

The graph above demonstrates that GMAT has a high impact on Booth admissions. Increasing your GMAT from 650 to 750 more than doubles your chance of admission. The average GMAT score for an applicant is 718, but theadmitted applicants have a slightly higher GMAT of 724.

Booth Admissions Rate by GPA

A high GPA will give you a slightly higher acceptance rate at University of Chicago, but it is easy to see that GPA doesn’t have a very large impact on admission rate. Even with a 3.0 GPA the Booth acceptance rate is 18% which is higher than the acceptance rate at Harvard for an applicant with a 4.0.

Booth Acceptance Rate GMAT vs. GPA

The graph above compares the importance of GMAT vs. GPA to Booth admissions. Candidates with a high GMAT score had a significantly higher acceptance rate than those who had a high GPA. If you have a high GMAT and a low GPA, University of Chicago is an ideal school at which to apply. For example an applicant with 3.0 GPA and a 760 GMAT has a 25% chance of being admitted.

Booth Admission Rate by Age

Similar to Duke and Cornell, the Booth admission committee prefers applicants who are around 27. The further a candidate is from the average age, the lower their chance of acceptance is. I believe that this is because candidates with around 5 years of work experience have worked long enough to impress potential employers and contribute to classroom discussion while not being over qualified for on campus recruiting positions.

Booth Admissions Rate by Round

Which round you apply in does actually affect your chance of admission at University of Chicago. There is a small drop off in acceptance rate between round 1 and 2, but then a large drop in round 3.

Other Factors that Impact Booth Acceptance Rate
Applicants who are living in India have only a 7% chance of being accepted at Booth. Science and Math majors have a slightly higher chance of admission. Liberal Arts and Humanities majors have an exceptionally high chance of being accepted, at 56%, while Engineering majors have lower odds at 17%. I think that it is not that Booth is specifically trying to attract Liberal Arts majors, but that they are trying to bring in more women, who happen to be more likely to major in Liberal Arts. Finally investment bankers have only a 14% acceptance rate at Booth.

MBA Blogger
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Pro GMAT: Happy New Year 2015!!
:) First and foremost New Year resolution: Conquer the GMAT! ;) May this new year brings charm, love, luck and happiness to your life. Happy New Year 2015!   #HappyNewYear #2015 #happiness #success #love #care & #gmat :D — ProGMAT (@preparationtime) January 1, 2015Filed under: General Post Tagged: 2015, GMAT, Happy New Year, love, luck, … Continue reading →
MBA Blogger
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Pro GMAT: Select your Best fit MBA
Thousands of students get their MBA degree from top business schools around the world. A majority of them do it to advance in their career and get the best knowledge with the best fit environment. They want the best return on their huge investment of time and money. Few of them don’t get the expected … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Naija MBA Gal: On being waitlisted
The sad part of being waitlisted is that the struggle for admission is not over. The happy part of being waitlisted is that the struggle for admission is not over. Yes, you read right. No I did not make a mistake. When you’re waitlisted, first feeling is “Thank God it’s not a ding”, followed shortly […]
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos