Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I thought the results weren't really that representative? Well, in the Kaplan tests I did about an average of 620. Same goes for PowerPrep.

I know my nerves was the heart of the problem. Half way through the math section, I picked up th pace thinking that I was taking too long on some questions and ended up having 20 mins left for the last 3 questions. I was so pissed at that point that in turn it affected my performance in my verbal. I just couldn't concentrate that well after that. I should have cancelled after that but knowing how I am about these sort of things I wanted to see if perhaps I might have scored better than I thought.

For the life of me, I don't understand why ETS does not let you go back on questions to review. It's cruel. I understand that the tests are adaptive but so are certification tests for technology and yet they still allow you to review your answers.

I will admit though that I had not started to practice in actual testing conditions till the wknd before the test. This was a obviuos mistake on my part. As it is right now, I'm lost as to how to procede. I have only about three weeks to prepare myself again if I really that gung ho about going to school in january; I'm not sure if I'm being at all that very realistic about this whole thing. Not even sure what I shou;d use for practice considering I've already gone through all of Kaplan's and Powerprep tests.

I have considered taking the Kaplan course but I'm not sure what real benefit I will receive it from that I couldn't get from the 4 books I read through already.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Disappointment... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
andyd wrote:
Makes me feel even worse that some are complaining about getting low 700s. I got a 510. The worst part about it is that I actually did better in verbal. For a person who had no problems getting As in all of his math classes throughout high school and college, I find it a bit disconcerting that I couldn't get a better score. This puts a real damper on any plans that I had on going back to school in January.

I think what did me in was concentrating so much on probability and combinations in the past month that I wasn't really prepared for the test. I was just lost sometimes on seemingly easy questions.

So now I'm giving myself one more month to take the test again. But I'm at loss as to what I should do about improving my math score. I have read the books below...

Kaplan 800
Kaplan 2003
Kaplan Math
Kaplan Verbal
OG
Crack-GMAT
Powerprep

Not sure where to go from here. Should I consider picking up the paper tests? I've been reluctant on doing so as having answers without explanations is just not very helpful.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would certainly recommend retaking even if you are feeling you did what you could do - anybody can do better than that, esp since you have 700 as you prelim results even though different tests.

I took mine a whole while ago, and my recs are not as helpful as from the guys who just scored great, but discouragement is not helpful and dumping all the time and money you invested into this is not reasonable either. You have to make the statistics work and get a 680!

-=-
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Disappointment... [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts