GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 02:43
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the
Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all
along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest
impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation,
and storminess.
A. the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest
impact on people, would be extremes of temperature,
precipitation, and storminess
B. the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature,
precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting
the most on people
C. those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of
temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the
most obvious effects
D. extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most
obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people
E. extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are
the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 07:44
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 07:46
sayantanc2k wrote:
falvino wrote:
ankur55 wrote:
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

A. the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess
B. the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people
C. those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects
D. extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people
E. extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people

This is my analysis
A. this alternative sounds good, It could be consider a posible answer
B. the function of "extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess," is not clear. It is a noun phrase but does not have a function
C. The same problem as B
D.The conector ", " that join "storminess, the most" create a run on sentence
E. the use of "the most on people' is wrong, The correct for of superlative is "The most + noun/noun phrase".

Other alternative to be considered is evaluate the structure the superlative 'The most" that need a noun/noun phrase.
With this analysis B and E are out.
D is a run on sentence
C presents a noun phrase "extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess" that does not have function.
A is the best

Option B:

The phrase "extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess," is an appositive used as a non-essential modifier to refer to "effects". The problem with option B is the faulty use of pronoun "those" - "those" is used to create a new copy of the noun it refers: The cars you have is bigger than those I have. "Those" does not refer to the same cars, but different ones (the ones that I own). However in option B "those" is used to refer to the same effects, not different ones. Hence B is wrong. The correct pronoun should be "the ones" instead of "those".

Another problem with option B is that "effects that are the most obvious ones" is wordy - better is "most obvious effects".

Sayantan, how does the "...and those" not create a meaning issue in the AC A? It looks like "and those" is referring to something other than effects; for the absolute phrase to be correct, there should have been no "and" before "those", simply "those that would have the largest impact on people..."

Please share your thoughts and correct me if Im wrong.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.26
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 07:54
Hi guys,

I have no idea how to tackle this question.
The comma before and really confuse me.

Can anyone please help me on why comma is there before "and".

Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects
(why do we need comma here -->) ,and those that would have the largest impact on people,
would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q36 V30
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 08:03
sobhark wrote:
Hi guys,

I have no idea how to tackle this question.
The comma before and really confuse me.

Can anyone please help me on why comma is there before "and".

Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects
(why do we need comma here -->) ,and those that would have the largest impact on people,
would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

Thank you!

Hi Sobhark

The part before and after the comma are Independent Clauses. To join two Independent Clauses you need a comma+conjunction+subject. (Concept of FANBOYS)

Sent from my CP8676_I02 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 22:13
Can someone explain how is option A parallel?

Climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people

Kudos if you like my post

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 23:29
The answer is A
Split 1 We need compound subject
Split 2 Temperature, precipitation and storminess are effects and they themselves do not cause any effects .
B meaning error and it is a fragment.
C meaning error and wordy
D we need and , there is no distinction between the most obvious effects and largest impact
E we need and

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 18:33
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether the Earth would warm and by how much, but climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess.

A. the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess
B. the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people
--> ones stands for effects --> the effects that are the most obvious effects --> awkward
C. those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects
D. extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people
E. extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 13:39
hey. in answer E - why is the use of "which" wrong?
can someone please explain?
Intern
Intern
B
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 00:42
hi All,

Error Analysis:

1. All the subject verb pairs are accounted for: “the most obvious effects” and “those” – “would be”, “that’ (refers to obvious effects) – “would have”.
2. The verb tenses used are correct. Since the sentence talks about future possibility, use of “would” is correct.
3. Pronoun “those” correct refers to “most obvious effects”.
4. Relative pronoun “that” correctly modifies “those” that refers to “the most obvious effects”.
5. “the most obvious effects” is parallel to “those” while “temperature”, “precipitation”, and “storminess” are parallel.
6. There are no idiom error and meaning error in this sentence.
7. This sentence is correct as is.

POE:

Choice A: the most obvious effects, and those that would have the largest impact on people, would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess: Correct for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: the effects that are the most obvious ones, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, would be those impacting the most on people: Incorrect.
1. “the effects that are the most obvious ones” is way too wordy when we can say “the most obvious effects”.
2. The parallel list has been violated. The entities in the list are now “effects”, “extreme of temperature”, “precipitation”, and “storminess”.
3. Reference of “those” is ambiguous.
4. “impacting the most on people” is absolutely ungrammatical. The correct expression is either “have impact on people” or “impacting people”.

Choice C: those effects to have the largest impact on people, extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, are what are the most obvious effects: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same parallelism error as in Choice B.
2. “what are “ is not needed.
3. This choice distorts the intended meaning. It says that the effects that would have the largest impact are the most obvious ones.

Choice D: extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, the most obvious effects, that they would have the largest impact on people: Incorrect. There is no verb for “extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess”. This leads to a fragment.

Choice E: extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess, which are the most obvious effects, are those to impact the most on people: Incorrect.
1. Use of “which” is incorrect.
2. “to impact the most on people” is ungrammatical.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi, E GMAT
Thanks to your explanation I can eliminate answer choices (B), (C),(D),and (E).
However, as a non native, I feel uncomfortable about sentence structure of (A).

(A) the most obvious effects,and those that would have the largest impact on people,would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess

this sentence can be revised like bellow, thereby the phrase "and those that would have the ...." works as absolute phrase or apposition?

Revised version (my opinion)
climatologists indicated that the most obvious effects would be extremes of temperature, precipi, and stormi, and those that would have the largest impact on people.

climatologists have indicated all along that the most obvious effects would be extremes of temperature, precipitation, and storminess and those that would have the largest impact on people

Please help me !
Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2018, 00:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap