GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Affiliations: Toronto
ND: SS
Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 01:01
daagh wrote:
Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might, but climatologists have indicated all along that precipitation, storminess, and temperature extremes are likely to have the greatest impact on people.

(A) Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might,

(B) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually had as its focus whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be,

(C) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent,

(D) The discussion of greenhouse effects have usually focused on the possibility of Earth getting warmer and to what extent it might,

(E) The discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and the extent that is,

To whomever, it may suit ( especially the newly initiated))

I don't say it is a magic wand nor is it universally applicable; yet at times of doubt, while dealing with complex issues, you might be lucky to spot a few established customs to narrow down perhaps to almost the correct choice. After all, one percent wrong is 100 percent wrong in GMAT and we must be astute enough to spot those silly peccadilloes to eliminate a good chunk of incorrect choices. For example, in this given case, we can in one shot kick out choices A and D, for missing the number agreement. We might also dump B as per Verb -Adjective - Noun (VAN) rule.
Between C and E, the use of the definite article 'the' to denote a broad, perpetual and usual discussion is erroneous as per established norms. E misleadingly suggests that we are referring to a particular discussion. Therefore, C is the most likely choice, even if you are not clear which is the more parallel between C and E.

Let me caution you again that this knack goes with the usual disclaimers.

Thanks daagh for hinting about "The" in D&E, it confused me actually, I first split on the presence of "the" then on the SVA .. and my choice was E at first, however I realized that it was wordy and awkward at the end "and the extent that is" and I revised it to choose C, but this had cost me time ...you made it clear thx again.

+1 Kudos

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

Using Forum Tags: https://gmatclub.com/forum/using-forum-tags-158411.html#p1909410
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/youtube-sessions-with-gmatninja-244869.html#p1903093

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 23:59
Please explain why choice C is correct
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 10:00
Saumya2403 wrote:
Please explain why choice C is correct

Dear Saumya2403,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to chide you. What you have asked here is a low quality question. Think about it: how much time and effort did you put into formulating your question? From the appearance, it looks as if you just typed it quickly and hit enter, with a minimum of engagement. I am sorry to tell you this, my friend, but you really are going to learn very little from this approach.

You see, it's a misunderstanding of many students that education is something that teachers and test experts "do" to a student, and the student is simply the passive recipient. In fact, you are 100% responsible for every aspect of your education. Education is something you do to yourself, by yourself, and for yourself, and we teachers & test prep experts can only help you. Some of the biggest determinations of how much you ultimately will learn are your commitment and determination. Are you really showing up for yourself? Do you really believe in your own possibility of success? Are you willing to engage with tremendous effort in order to bring forth your best possibilities.

If you want excellent results, you need to practice the habits of excellence. One of these is the habit of formulating excellent questions. See this blog article.
Asking Excellent Questions

Here's my challenge to you. Read that blog very carefully, and then come back her, study all the entries on this thread, and if you still don't understand why (C) is correct, formulate the highest quality question you can. If you do that, I will be more than happy to answer it.

Remember, my friend: how you do anything is how you do everything.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B
Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 07:44
Could some please give a detailed explanation why option "b" is wrong, I am not able to understand.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 09:58
thanhmaitran wrote:
Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might, but climatologists have indicated all along that precipitation, storminess, and temperature extremes are likely to have the greatest impact on people.

(A) Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might,

(B) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually had as its focus whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be,

(C) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent,

(D) The discussion of greenhouse effects have usually focused on the possibility of Earth getting warmer and to what extent it might,

(E) The discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and the extent that is,

(C)

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 13:53
yash321 wrote:
Could some please give a detailed explanation why option "b" is wrong, I am not able to understand.

Hello yash321,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Following are errors in Choice B:

1. Meaning Error: It is not very clear what the extent actually corresponds/refers to. extent usually corresponds to something to convey the complete meaning. (the extent of something).

The extent of damage to buildings due to the earthquake is still unknown. (Correct)
The earthquake damaged a lot of buildings, but the extent is unknown. (Incorrect)

2. Idiom Error: The current construction requires a noun to follow the word focus.

Michael has usually maintained personal growth as his focus. (Correct)
Michael has usually maintained as his focus personal growth. (Rephrase: Correct)
Michael has usually maintained as his focus how to improve his personal growth. (Clause: Incorrect)

Similarly, in this sentence, the usage of the clause whether Earth would get… after focus is grammatically incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 02:02
thanhmaitran wrote:

(A) Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possibility of Earth growing warmer and to what extent it might, - Here "Discussion..." is singular and it needs a singular verb instead of plural "have" + the usage of past participle "had" is redundant as it is used to express an event that has happened before another event from past (i.e to show sequence of events). But in this case, there is no sequencing required.

(B) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually had as its focus whether Earth would get warmer and what the extent would be, - Focus should be followed by "on". Here, " focus whether ... " is not clear.

(C) Discussion of greenhouse effects has usually focused on whether Earth would grow warmer and to what extent, _ correct use of "has" (singular entity) and correct usage of "focused on"

(D) The discussion of greenhouse effects have usually focused on the possibility of Earth getting warmer and to what extent it might, - Have is problematic and the ending is not meaningful

- "Earth would grow warmer and the extent that is.." would and is usage is incorrect.
Re: Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2018, 02:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Discussion of greenhouse effects have usually had as a focus the possi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap