Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [5]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell AMBA, Kellogg, Oxford, Cambridge
Send PM
Re: Disturbed by unfair treatment such as low pay and long hours, the idea [#permalink]
I'll go for C
A, B and E - Modifier error - "Disturbed by unfair treatment..." + "comma" is modifying "ACLU"
D - distorted meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
Re: Disturbed by unfair treatment such as low pay and long hours, the idea [#permalink]
feruz77 wrote:
Disturbed by unfair treatment such as low pay and long hours, the idea of the work visa was improvements of the immigration law by the ACLU.
(A) the idea of the work visa was improvements of the immigration law by the ACLU.
(B) the work visa was an idea for improvements of the immigration law suggested by the ACLU.
(C) the ACLU suggested the work visa as an improvement to the immigration law.
(D) the ACLU suggested that immigration laws be improved by the work visa.
(E) the work visa was suggested to be an improvement of immigration law by the ACLU.

I am confused, please help to find a right choice?

Absolutely C.
Simply discount the answer choices A, B, and E on incorrect use of the modifier.
D is incorrect as work visa cannot be used to immigration laws,rather it is used as a tool to improve immigration laws.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
soumanag wrote:
Modifier error & Passive voice error:

Disturbed by unfair treatment such as low pay and long hours, the idea of the work visa was
improvements of the immigration law by the ACLU.

(A) the idea of the work visa was improvements of the immigration law by the ACLU. - Clause, disturbed by unfair treatment .... modifies idea. It should modify ACLU,
(B) the work visa was an idea for improvements of the immigration law suggested by the ACLU.- Clause disturbed by unfair treatment .... modifies work visa. It should modify ACLU,
(C) the ACLU suggested the work visa as an improvement to the immigration law. - Correct option. Clause disturbed by unfair treatment .... correctly modifies ACLU.
(D) the ACLU suggested that immigration laws be improved by the work visa. -Clause disturbed by unfair treatment .... correctly modifies ACLU but 2nd portion of the sentence uses passive voice.
(E) the work visa was suggested to be an improvement of immigration law by the ACLU. - Clause disturbed by unfair treatment .... modifies work visa. It should modify ACLU also uses passive voice
Correct option : C

Suggested that is appropriate usage and is required to remove the ambiguity from the sentence.
Passive voice does play an important role in fine tuning options but cannot play a vital role in eliminating the "Suggest that" system.

I am still not convinced that OA is C. I go with D
+1 D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618982 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
feruz77 wrote:
Disturbed by unfair treatment such as low pay and long hours, the idea of the work visa was improvements of the immigration law by the ACLU.

(A) the idea of the work visa was improvements of the immigration law by the ACLU.
(B) the work visa was an idea for improvements of the immigration law suggested by the ACLU.
(C) the ACLU suggested the work visa as an improvement to the immigration law.
(D) the ACLU suggested that immigration laws be improved by the work visa.
(E) the work visa was suggested to be an improvement of immigration law by the ACLU.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

(Misplaced Modifier) A participial phrase in the beginning of the sentence should alert you of the existence of a misplaced modified in the sentence. Indeed there is one in this sentence, because an “idea” could not have been disturbed by unfair treatment.

What the author intends to say is that the ACLU was disturbed by unfair treatment of low pay and unfair working conditions, and suggested an improvement to immigration laws in the form of the work visa. So, thee main clause of the sentence must start with the word “the ACLU.”

Among the choices, only (C) and (D) start with this word. Between the two, (C) consists of a phrase and reflects the intention of the author precisely, while (D) is a full clause in the passive voice.

(Remember that, if there is no other error and if the intention of the author is brought out clearly, a phrase is preferable to a clause, and a sentence in the active voice is preferable to one in the passive voice.)

So, between (C) and (D), the former is the better choice, and is the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts