GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 05:03

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 14:17
Although I got my answer correct, but I pre-assumed something different than given in the answer choice. Please check whether this my pre-assumption is also correct:

The works done by their company are compatible with Vitech Computers.

Thanks and Regards
Tushar
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2015, 02:39
seekmba wrote:
C for me.

Experienced techies of Microton computers will demand more salaries than the inexperienced Vitech ones thus weakening GM's objection.

This option compares cost of hiring Microton users with employees who have no computer skills - and not with Vitech users.
Then how is this even a comparison?

And if cost is a concern then I see E as the only option.
Can somebody pls tell me why is C - which is not even a valid comparison - is the correct answer?

Don't forget to kudo! :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 12:27
DM:
Premise: 28% less to train new staff on Vitech than Microton
Conclusion: Replace Microton with Vitech

GM: Hire staff with experience in Microton
GM's assumption: These staff will be less expensive than replacing Microton with Vitech and training staff on Vitech.

Correct answer choice will undermine GM's assumption to some degree. E strengthens.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 10:18
Here is my analysis of each of the options:

Division Manager: I want to replace the Microton computers in my division with Vitech computers.
General Manager: Why?
Division Manager: It costs 28 percent less to train new staff on the Vitech.
General Manager: But that is not a good enough reason. We can simply hire only people who already know how to use the Microton computer.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the general manager's objection to the replacement of Microton computers with Vitechs?

(A) Currently all employees in the company are required to attend workshops on how to use Microton computers in new applications.
This will represent a (fixed) cost for the Company regardless of whether employees are already trained or not. Note also that the option says that all employees are required to attend workshops that relate to new applications, so even if the Company hires already trained staff, these employees may also need to receive some training on new applications that may arise as a result of technological change or innovation. Hence, this option neither weakens nor strengthens the GM's objection.
(B) Once employees learn how to use a computer, they tend to change employers more readily than before.
This option neither weakens nor strengthens the GM's objection. This may be a disadvantage for the Company if it trains its staff and these employees leave, but the Company may also benefit from this as it is able to hire already trained staff from other companies.
(C) Experienced users of Microton computers command much higher salaries than do prospective employees who have no experience in the use of computers.
The GM proposes to hire skilled staff in order to avoid the training cost of new joiners. However, if skilled workers command much higher salaries, the cost saved due to not having to train new staff is offset by the additional salaries of the new skilled employees. Therefore, it is the correct answer.
(D) The average productivity of employees in the general manager's company is below the average productivity of the employees of its competitors.
Out of scope. Totally irrelevant.
(E) The high costs of replacement parts make Vitech computers more expensive to maintain than Microton computers.
This would strengthen the GM's objection, as the computers proposed by the DM would be more expensive to maintain. However, we are not concerned with the maintenance cost, but with the cost of training new staff.

I would appreciate that you would share your thoughts on my analysis of the question and the answers.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 08:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 08:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Division manager: I want to replace the Microton computers i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap