Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618771 [5]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618771 [4]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [3]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Do both sufficient statements provide the same answer in a DS question [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

As far as I think GMAT "might" not give you any such question inw hich both Stat1 and Sta2 are giving you different answers individually.
If i get a question like this then i will still be going and marking option "D" and not option "E"
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Do both sufficient statements provide the same answer in a DS question [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
smartmanav wrote:
Hi

I might be asking a stupid question but then i couldn't stop myself from asking it. :(

Suppose a DS question asks you to find an answer. Lets assume they ask you to find the median of a certain data set with variables in it.
based on the two options you have to determine if median >= 5 or not ?

If both the option of the question are able to solve it, is it necessary that both questions should get you the same result ?

For ex if option A gets the result as median = 5 is it necessary that if option B also is able to get the right answer then it should also get the median value as 5 ??

can there be a possibility that option B gets an answer different than 5 ?

Thanks
smartmanav

Ask a question be a fool for 3 minutes, don't ask n b a fool all your life !!

No, scenario you describe is not possible, since on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other.

So, for example in an YES/NO DS question you cannot have a NO answer from the first statement and an YES answer from the second statement or if you are asked to find the value of x, then you cannot get x=5 from the first statement and x=4 from the second statement.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel, this is a very interesting observation you have mentioned. But I have seen in some yes/no DS questions to provide a "no" for 1 statement and "yes" for the other statement and as both statements still give an unambiguous yes or no , the correct answer happens to be D.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618771 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Engr2012 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
smartmanav wrote:
Hi

I might be asking a stupid question but then i couldn't stop myself from asking it. :(

Suppose a DS question asks you to find an answer. Lets assume they ask you to find the median of a certain data set with variables in it.
based on the two options you have to determine if median >= 5 or not ?

If both the option of the question are able to solve it, is it necessary that both questions should get you the same result ?

For ex if option A gets the result as median = 5 is it necessary that if option B also is able to get the right answer then it should also get the median value as 5 ??

can there be a possibility that option B gets an answer different than 5 ?

Thanks
smartmanav

Ask a question be a fool for 3 minutes, don't ask n b a fool all your life !!

No, scenario you describe is not possible, since on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other.

So, for example in an YES/NO DS question you cannot have a NO answer from the first statement and an YES answer from the second statement or if you are asked to find the value of x, then you cannot get x=5 from the first statement and x=4 from the second statement.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel, this is a very interesting observation you have mentioned. But I have seen in some yes/no DS questions to provide a "no" for 1 statement and "yes" for the other statement and as both statements still give an unambiguous yes or no , the correct answer happens to be D.

Such kind of DS questions would be considered flawed as per GMAT standards.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amritrungta

Here are some tacit rules that are followed by GMAT test writers when it comes to Data Sufficiency:

1) The two statements in data sufficiency will never contradict each other.

2) If each statement alone is sufficient, then the outcome will be consistent. This means that if it is a Yes/No data sufficiency question, then both statement will answer the question in the main stem as Yes, or both will answer them as No. If it is a value question, then the outcome will be identical in both cases.

3) If you find that your outcome to the question is different for both the statements, while each statement is sufficient, then you can be guaranteed that either you made some computational error in a value question or you are misinterpreting the statements. This is a valuable tool and I use it to gain further confidence that I did indeed get the data sufficiency question right.

Cheers,
Dabral
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
amritrungta wrote:
Hi,

So in that case, If I arrived at different solutions for the same DS question, Can we say I went wrong somewhere and need to recheck my calculations???

This can actually help in confirming a particular DS question, given that Number proporties (like odd/even) are pretty tricky.

Thanks

Absolutely! The two statements will not contradict so if you get different answers, you must recheck your logic/calculations.
In fact, I have discussed an advanced DS strategy based on this property of GMAT DS questions here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/07 ... t-part-ii/
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
neenpaques wrote:
I just read for 'calculate value questions' like 1/(x + 4)? that you should not overthink and just check if statement 1 and 2 are sufficient to calculate x and I agree.
However, I was wondering if both statements alone are sufficient, if it is always D, or can the answers be dissimilar (so you have to calculate exactly)?

Post scriptum: Apologies if this is frequently asked

I like to explain this concept in this way:

A DS question is a puzzle.

For example: Given that x > 0, what is the value of x?

Now, from the question stem alone, you will not be able to get a unique value of x. So you cannot answer the puzzle.
x could be 1 or 5 or 1000 or 674828.45 etc.

So, to help you get to the answer, you have two hint statements given to you.

Statement 1: x^2 + x - 2 = 0
On solving, this statement tells you that x is either -2 or 1.
Now can you answer the puzzle? Yes. We are given that x is positive and this statement tells us that x is either -2 or 1 so x must be 1. That is the only possible value. In this case, we say that statement 1 alone is sufficient to answer the question and hence answer would be either (A) or (D).

Now, think about it: can statement 2 tell you that x is either -4 or 5? No! Both statements are hints which may/may not help you find the answer to the SAME puzzle. x has one value and that is what you need to find. So statement 2 can tell you that x is 1 or 2. It can tell you that x is 1. It can tell you that x is 1, 5 or 7 etc. But is it possible that it does not include that value 1 for x? No! The actual value of x is 1 (which we found from statement 1). Since statement 2 is a hint to the same puzzle, it must include that value 1. Otherwise, it would be an incorrect hint and hence, an incorrect DS question.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I don't have too much to add to the good posts above, but I did want to point out why the two statements must be consistent (in other words, it always needs to be possible that both statements are true at the same time). The question always needs to make logical sense if you use both statements, even when one statement is sufficient alone, because some test takers will combine the statements, because some test takers won't notice that one statement is sufficient. And when you use both statements, and they contradict each other, there is no logically correct answer to a DS question. For example, if you had this DS question:

What is the value of x?
1. Either x=2 or x=4
2. Either x=1 or x=3

Note that this is a terrible quality question. :) Clearly neither statement is sufficient alone, but when you combine them, no value of x is even possible. In that case, most mathematicians would probably say the information is sufficient - you know that no value for x exists. But it's also perfectly logical to say this is insufficient, because you can't find x using the two statements. So there's no good answer to a question like this - you can justify C, and you can justify E. That's why the real GMAT can never include questions where the two statements are contradictory.

That said, I've seen dozens of prep company questions which do not observe this design principle. If you ever come across questions like that, you're not studying from realistic material, so find better resources to work with.

And Karishma, in the blog post she linked to above, described how you can sometimes take advantage of the consistency of the two statements when solving DS questions. I wanted to offer another example. Say you had this DS question:

What is the value of the positive integer k?

1. 110 < k^2 < 135
2. 1202 < k^3 < 1402

If k is a positive integer, Statement 1 is sufficient - 11^2 = 121 is the only perfect square in that range, so k = 11.

Now, when we look at Statement 2, we know the two statements are consistent. If the only possible value for k, using Statement 1, is 11, then it absolutely must be true that k = 11 is one solution for Statement 2. So even if you don't know what 11^3 is, there's no need to calculate it when you look at Statement 2. You can be completely sure 11^3 is somewhere between 1202 and 1402. Since 10^3 clearly is not in that range (10^3 = 1000), the only question we need to answer is whether k could be 12. It's easy to see that k cannot be 12 just by estimation (12*12*10 = 1440 is already larger than 1402, and 12*12*12 is bigger than 12*12*10), so 11 is the only solution to Statement 2 as well, and the answer is D.

And as mentioned above, you can use statement consistency to check your work - if you get contradictory solutions when analyzing each statement separately, you've done something wrong, or you're studying from low quality material.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM