Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [43]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 896 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread [#permalink]
Kudos
Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease( it causes, listeriosis, )afflicts some people (in a contaminated area) while sparing many others

The answer lies in //ism. Read the above while ignoring the brackets.
...disease afflicts some people while sparing many others is //

At first glance even I fell for A but a closer look helped identify the mistake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Re: Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer E.
I can tell why when and where are wrong
and why is option A here is wrong due to the usage of "it"
Despite --- in spite of
I dont know why despite is wrong but I preferred While over despite.
usage of While
It can actually mean two things:
1) while = at the same time as.
2) while = although, or some sort of contrast.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area though it spares many others.

Actually I would reject B and pick E for a different reason.

The pronoun ‘it’ appears at two junctures; in the first place, the pronoun refers to the bacterium while in the second place, it refers to the disease. In GMAT terms, it is wrong for a pronoun to refer to two different entities in a same sentence. In E, this problem has been circumvented by converting the later portion into a modifying phrase, dropping the pronoun altogether.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bsv180985 wrote:
Hey, dude, can u pls underline the quest.

in A & B it has no clear referance. A&B out
Despite, When seem irrelevant here
E is my ans

OA is E. The point is that we need a description that can either contrast the two situations (different groups of people), or demonstrate their happening simultaneously.

(A) though it spares
Wrong for two reasons.
(1) In GMAT, we can say for sure that it is incorrect to use one SAME PRONOUN more than twice.
(2) You often use "though" to introduce a fact that you regard as less important than the fact in the main clause.

(B) where it spares
Wrong for "it". In GMAT, we can say for sure that it is incorrect to use one SAME PRONOUN more than twice.
Note: "where" is correctly used here.
You use "where" to introduce a clause that contrasts with the other part of the sentence.regard as less important than the fact in the main clause.

(C) despite sparing
Wrong for "despite"
You use "despite" to introduce a fact that makes the other part of the sentence surprising.

(D) when sparing
Wrong for "When"
You use "when" to introduce a fact that makes the other part of the sentence surprising or impossible.

(E) while sparing
Correct.
You use "while"
(1) before making a statement, to introduce a fact that partly conflicts the following statement.
(2) to introduce a fact that happens simultaneously with the following statement.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Answer choice "A" is not preferred because "it" is ambiguous. “Despite” and “while” have different meanings. Replace “despite” with “instead of” and read the sentence. It does not make sense- the disease is not preferring any particular victim! So, “while” fits in better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In A and B, it is not that the pronoun ‘it’ has no proper referents. The problem is that ‘it’ refers to two different things. The first ‘it’ refers to the bacterium and the second ‘it’ refers to the disease. Ambiguity is not an issue but the multiple references are.

Despite is inappropriate in this context because despite always involves a paradox. Say like: Despite my low GMAT score, I got admitted into the Ivy League; Churchill was sure of his victory despite the series of defeats until the very end. etc, etc.

So E wins
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM