Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Does anyone here have a job they really can't talk aboout? [#permalink]
Yeah, I can see how your position makes writing essays difficult. It seems like the best essays are personal, with lots of detail.

It might be worth getting a free consultation from a few consultants. I've never used them, but Precision Essay seems to be pretty good. Check out their thread on the business week forums.

Even if you don't actually hire them, they may be able to give you some good pointers.

RF
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I've thought of hiring admin consultants, but it's still kind of a Catch-22 situation. The way I see it admin consultants are kind of like lawyers, for them to do their best in helping you, you need to tell them everything about your situation. Well, obviously, I can't do that. It would be great if I can tell them about what I do, who I work for, etc and have them craft a suitable vague essay, but again i can't even go that far.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Ya, I cannot talk about my midnight cowboy position. :oops:

In all seriousness, I think you are in a bit of a pickle here since providing examples are extremely important, and providing details for make-believe story is something you cannot do right now. Can you figure out a way of telling your story while not mentioning any names? Maybe that will be OK....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
My job was like that...security clearance stuff and high level data. Its best to go with generalizations, you can talk about functions, and stuff just not specifics. If you have a security officer pass stuff through them. During interviews be up front at the start of your interview. You can definitely answer behavioral parts and can give general answers...I think interviewers will understand you cant give up government data.

Not sure the same would hold true for a confidential work for a company. I know consultants who arent supposed to talk about who clients are and what they did but used that stuff in essays and interviews. remember this isnt going to get published. If you wont get arrested talking about it dont worry.

PM if you want to talk more...knowing at least where you work would help. I know some other folks in situations similar to mine who worked in some areas that may be similar to yours.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
river,

I'll be sending you a PM. Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Don't you think it's at least worthwhile to ask the consultants what your options are? I mean, it won't cost you anything.

In fact, if I remember correctly, there was a person in the Precision Essay thread that was a member of the Israeli Defense Force, but in a highly sensitive position. She wasn't able to talk about any of her best stories. Great profile though.

A lot of leadership has to do with personal interactions, business details aren't necessary. Write a story, keep the details to a minimum, change details if necessary, then write an explanation in the optional essay.

I'm sure you're not the only person whose been in this position.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
During applications they really dont care what you do at work so much as how you do it. I wrote nothing specific about the stuff I did at work...general terms and that was it. In a way its actually nice since you arent tempted to get off the topic about selling yourself and your skills.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
i'm writing in very general terms (work in aviation), both to escape any "can i really tell them this?" questions and to focus the essays more on general lessons I learned.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I understand that there are limitations, but rather than name clients, why not just say "The US Government" or "a large defense contractor with revenues in excess of $XB" ? And rather than say, "When my team had to develop software intended to tap into high level routers across AT&T so that the patriot act guys can spy on data", why not just say "My team and I were tasked with developing challenging software related to national security. Although I can't discuss specifics, I can say that my team was instrumental in creating some of the most important national security software in use today."

Finally, if its really is that bad - and I'd venture that probably isn't quite so bad - I say explain it in your optional essay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
hey if you work for SIAC, just mention that is CIA Spelled backwards.

rhyme wrote:
I understand that there are limitations, but rather than name clients, why not just say "The US Government" or "a large defense contractor with revenues in excess of $XB" ? And rather than say, "When my team had to develop software intended to tap into high level routers across AT&T so that the patriot act guys can spy on data", why not just say "My team and I were tasked with developing challenging software related to national security. Although I can't discuss specifics, I can say that my team was instrumental in creating some of the most important national security software in use today."

Finally, if its really is that bad - and I'd venture that probably isn't quite so bad - I say explain it in your optional essay.
GMAT Club Bot