Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [34]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31875 [6]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [3]
Given Kudos: 816
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
noyaljoseph wrote:
Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer?

(1) 11! + 2 < x < 11!+ 12
(2) x > 2^5

Composite number is a number that has more than 2 distinct factors.

Question REPHRASED : Is x a composite Number ?

Statement 1: 11! + 2 < x < 11!+ 12

i.e. x = 11! + 2 but 11! is a multiple of 2 i.e. x is a multiple of 2 hence Yes a Composite Number
i.e. x = 11! + 3 but 11! is a multiple of 3 i.e. x is a multiple of 3 hence Yes a Composite Number
..... and so on....
i.e. x = 11! + 12 but 11! is a multiple of 12 i.e. x is a multiple of 12 hence Yes a Composite Number

i.e. x is always a composite number. Hence,
SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: x > 2^5
x is greater than 32
i.e. x may or may not be a Composite Number
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option A
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Re: Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

I think I usually get too stuck with the language of question.

My doubt was again with the question stem, since question stem says " does there exist an integer d" from which I understand to be,if there is any one such value that makes statement ( either statement 1 or 2) true, then it is sufficient to answer that yes! The value exists.

In statement 2, like I mentioned , there are many values that exist for x>32 and for which x/d is an integer. Isnt it sufficient to answer that "yes! Value exists for x>32 where d/x is integer. Hence statement is sufficient".

I understand the solution that is presented.
I will be thankful if I can be provided some useful link to clear my thoughts on language of quant questions posed.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello

In statement 2, you are correct that many values exist for x>32 for which we will be able to find an integer 'd' such that x/d is an integer.
But lets look at the question. The question says, "Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer?"

Unless we know what is 'x', how do we know whether such a 'd' exists or not. We are given that x>32. Say x=33, then definitely there exists a 'd' (3 or 11). But if x=41, then there does not exist such a 'd'. So it comes down to just one thing: we are NOT able to answer with a clear-cut YES or a clear-cut NO. Thats why statement 2 is not sufficient.

As for the highlighted part in your quote (I have highlighted), I think understanding questions and explanations here on Gmatclub will be the best thing to do. Ask questions, and try to understand the replies, maybe that will help you understand steadily over a short period of time.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Send PM
Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer? [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
here [color=#ff0000]I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..

You are correct for this assumption (it's more of a given) as it is given that d is an integer and x/d is also an integer. Thus these conditions are only possible when x is also an integer.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31875 [0]
Send PM
Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Engr2012 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
here [color=#ff0000]I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..

You are correct for this assumption (it's more of a given) as it is given that d is an integer and x/d is also an integer. Thus these conditions are only possible when x is also an integer.

Hi,
it is not given that x/d is an integer, we have to find if x/d is an integer.

The two things mean a lot different..
and I do not think if we are finding whether x/d is an integer, we can infer that x is an integer.
this will be wrong interpretation. The Q is better with 'x as integer' stated clearly.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
it is not given that x/d is an integer, we have to find if x/d is an integer.

The two things mean a lot different..
and I do not think if we are finding whether x/d is an integer, we can infer that x is an integer.
this will be wrong interpretation. The Q is better with 'x as integer' stated clearly.

In a DS question, you can either prove the existence with absolute certainty or prove the absence with absolute certainty. Either way, you will have a sufficient statement. The way I have approached is the latter and hence I assumed that in order for x/d to be an integer with d as integer, x must be an integer ---> not prime (based on statement 1). Your approach and mine are thus different ways of approaching the same thing.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31875 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Engr2012 wrote:
In a DS question, you can either prove the existence with absolute certainty or prove the absence with absolute certainty. Either way, you will have a sufficient statement. The way I have approached is the latter and hence I assumed that in order for x/d to be an integer with d as integer, x must be an integer ---> not prime (based on statement 1). Your approach and mine are thus different ways of approaching the same thing.

In a DS Q, the biggest traps are these only, where you are expected to believe/assume a variable as an integer.
the same Q with a choice
1. x is a reciprocal of a prime number.

here you can say that x/d is not an integer since the numerator is a fraction and the denominator is an integer...
This statement will be sufficient to tell you that x/d is not an integer and will be suff..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 241
Send PM
I was confused by the wording of this question. What does "Does there exist an integer" exactly mean? Does it mean, "Is there at least one integer that exists?", or does it mean "Is there one and only one integer that exists?"
SVP
SVP
Send PM
etdenlinger wrote:
I was confused by the wording of this question. What does "Does there exist an integer" exactly mean? Does it mean, "Is there at least one integer that exists?", or does it mean "Is there one and only one integer that exists?"

It would mean atleast one and not one only. Had it been 'one only', the question would have stated such a thing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.34
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I had a quick question in regards to the "does there exist an integer" portion of the question.

From this given info, I can gather that the question is asking if there is atleast one integer D that makes X/D an integer. I understand why statement 1 is SUF but could one make the argument that statement 2 could also be SUF making the answer choice D?

If X > 2^5, there is at least one value for X, despite the fact that X can be a composite or prime, where X/D is an integer. I understand that this question is testing the properties of prime numbers but the "does there exist an integer" portion is throwing me a loop.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Send PM
Jkim56 wrote:
I had a quick question in regards to the "does there exist an integer" portion of the question.

From this given info, I can gather that the question is asking if there is atleast one integer D that makes X/D an integer. I understand why statement 1 is SUF but could one make the argument that statement 2 could also be SUF making the answer choice D?

If X > 2^5, there is at least one value for X, despite the fact that X can be a composite or prime, where X/D is an integer. I understand that this question is testing the properties of prime numbers but the "does there exist an integer" portion is throwing me a loop.

Hi

The second statement is NOT sufficient. Ok x > 2^5 or x > 32.
Now if x = 33, then of course there exist a few integers between 1 and x which are factors of x (3, 11)
But if x = 37, then since x is prime, there is NO integer between 1 and x which is a factor of x.

we are not given whether x is prime or not. So second statement does not suffice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
noyaljoseph wrote:

(2) x > 2^5

i.e. x = 11! + 2 but 11! is a multiple of 2 i.e. x is a multiple of 2 hence Yes a Composite Number
i.e. x = 11! + 3 but 11! is a multiple of 3 i.e. x is a multiple of 3 hence Yes a Composite Number
..... and so on....
i.e. x = 11! + 12 but 11! is a multiple of 12 i.e. x is a multiple of 12 hence Yes a Composite Number

SUFFICIENT

x is greater than 32
NOT SUFFICIENT

Hi.

But when we say x may or may not have a prime number but still there is an integer d ( i.e. for x =36, integer d is 9) such that x/d is an integer.

Please help.

Retired Moderator
Send PM
Mudit27021988 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
noyaljoseph wrote:

(2) x > 2^5

..... and so on....

SUFFICIENT

x is greater than 32
NOT SUFFICIENT

Hi.

But when we say x may or may not have a prime number but still there is an integer d ( i.e. for x =36, integer d is 9) such that x/d is an integer.

Please help.

Hi

Your query is not clear? Can you please rephrase what you want to know?

from first statement, it is clear that X is a composite number. So definitely there would be a positive integer greater than 1 but less than X which will be a factor of X.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

My doubt was again with the question stem, since question stem says " does there exist an integer d" from which I understand to be,if there is any one such value that makes statement ( either statement 1 or 2) true, then it is sufficient to answer that yes! The value exists.

In statement 2, like I mentioned , there are many values that exist for x>32 and for which x/d is an integer. Isnt it sufficient to answer that "yes! Value exists for x>32 where d/x is integer. Hence statement is sufficient".

I will be thankful if I can be provided some useful link to clear my thoughts on language of quant questions posed.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

Hello

In statement 2, you are correct that many values exist for x>32 for which we will be able to find an integer 'd' such that x/d is an integer.
But lets look at the question. The question says, "Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer?"

Unless we know what is 'x', how do we know whether such a 'd' exists or not. We are given that x>32. Say x=33, then definitely there exists a 'd' (3 or 11). But if x=41, then there does not exist such a 'd'. So it comes down to just one thing: we are NOT able to answer with a clear-cut YES or a clear-cut NO. Thats why statement 2 is not sufficient.

As for the highlighted part in your quote (I have highlighted), I think understanding questions and explanations here on Gmatclub will be the best thing to do. Ask questions, and try to understand the replies, maybe that will help you understand steadily over a short period of time.

Thanks amanvermagmat for such a wonderful piece of advice and explanation.
+1 for the same
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
noyaljoseph wrote:

(1) 11! + 2 <x< 11!+ 12
(2) x > 2 5

Hi,
The gap between 2 and 5 in x> 2 5, suggests something is missing in statement 2..
PL provide OA too..

now if we look at x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer, it means d should be a factor of x..
lets see the choices now..
(1) 11! + 2 <x< 11!+ 12
here I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..
any number say 11!+3 will have 3 as a factor
11!+4 will have 4 as a factor
till 11!+ 11 will have a factor 11..
so ans is YES x/d can be an integer..
Suff..

(2) x > 2 5
In the way it is written it will be insuff..
when x is a prime, d cannot have any value ... so x/d will not be an integer NO
if x is not a prime, then there will always be a d such that x/d is an int.. YES
different answers possible
Insuff

A

Hi chetan2u,

Can you please help me in this.

The question is basically asking if there is any number d such that x > d > 1 and x/d = integer. Obviously we can say that yes it does exist for Statement II. The question is not asking for all value of d. Also, if we are to take the logic that d cannot be fixed for Statement II, how can be we fix d for Statement I.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

Hello

Hi amanvermagmat,

As per your logic, as we cannot decide on the value of x, you negated Statement II. However, for Statement I also, we can have x in Decimals or fractions. X cannot be fixed for Statement I also. So, as per your logic of Statement II we should negate option I also.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
rahul16singh28 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

Hello

Hi amanvermagmat,

As per your logic, as we cannot decide on the value of x, you negated Statement II. However, for Statement I also, we can have x in Decimals or fractions. X cannot be fixed for Statement I also. So, as per your logic of Statement II we should negate option I also.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Hello Rahul

Yes your perspective is good. I took x to be an integer. Actually I followed the statement in Chetan's solution, where he says that 'x should be an integer logically'.

So yes I solved the entire question assuming 'x' to be an integer
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92888 posts