It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong traditio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 130

Re: Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong traditio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 14:15
seanick wrote:
@p00rv@, you're right about that error in E. But since it's not the answer, that error gives us another reason to eliminate E, apart from the incorrect usage of that includes. I wouldn't say it's confusing. The question seems fine to me.

@
seanick
"that includes" is not an incorrect usage here. why would you call it incorrect? :?
In fact IMO the error I mentioned(parallelism error) is the basis for eliminating E

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 130

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 14:50
This post received
KUDOS
@p00rv@
Shouldn't it be 'incorporates many types of literature into her writing that include'?. The way I see it, the 'the types of literature' include the examples.
Or the answer could be framed as 'incorporates many types of literature into her writing, which includes'. Here the 'writing' includes the examples.
This is the second basis on which I eliminated E, apart from the parallelism one.

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 17

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 208

Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 17:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The given sentence has two errors
1) when we are using a colon then there is no need to add words like including or which includes. It automatically indicates a list which is modified in the part before the colon.
2) Both and 'as well as' should not grammatically go together as both indicates something of the same kind.

Inputs are welcome.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 208

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [1], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
The given sentence has two errors
1) when we are using a colon then there is no need to add words like including or which includes. It automatically indicates a list which is modified in the part before the colon.
2) Both and 'as well as' should not grammatically go together as both indicates something of the same kind.

Inputs are welcome.

With you, no doubt about that -

Colon is used to introduce a list coming at the end of sentence

Find some quality stuff on the topic Here

Thus (B) must be the answer...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [1], given: 327

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
kinjiGC wrote:
Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong tradition of story-telling and oral renditions of the past, Indian writer Suniti Namjoshi incorporates many types of literature into her writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as European sources.

Colon -> Provides examples or separation of noun phrases in a list (Examples).

A.writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as
1) As Colon itself introduces examples, we don't require "including".
2) both X and Y. Always we need to use "and" with both.

B.writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
Correct

C.writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
As Colon itself introduces examples, we don't require "these include".

D.writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as
1) types -> plural and should take plural verb
2) both X and Y. Always we need to use "and" with both.

E.writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and

1) Types can include and not writing so that should refer to types. types -> plural and should take plural verb
2) both X and Y. if X = "from Indian" then we need to repeat "from" for Y as well

Hi,

I understand Option E is incorrect because of parallelism, but the " that clause" refers to writing or types. I understand that it gives information of writing which she undertook.

Silly Question, i understand, but please help. Also, I have read on various posts about ellipse (in comparison), what are these?

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 76

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 03:33
sayantanc2k wrote:
gmatwithpooja wrote:
ans is B. but about the errors in D and E --
"writing, which includes" -- doesn't it refer to writing rather than types of literature (non restrictive clause but still defines the preceding noun)
same with E "writing that" - modifies writing not the types of literature.

would appreciate if anybody can confirm/deny/have comments on what i said.

Yes, your understanding is absolutely right.

Moreover there is a parallelism error in E.

The correct idiom is both X and Y - X and Y must be parallel

In option D (BOTH from Indian AND European...):
X = FROM Indian
Y = European (FROM missing.)

The parallelism would be correct if FROM were outside the BOTH....AND construction:

FROM both Indian and European ...correct.
both FROM Indian and FROM European...correct.
both FROM Indian and European...wrong.

hey

Can you explain that why is both necessary before X and Y as and itself indicates the required form.
instead both X as well as Y seems correct to me. as both is required to put forth the point that X Y two individual items both are included
whereas in case of and both should not be there.
don't remember right now but in some mock or Og question both before X and Y was avoided.

i might be wrong please help me understand this concept

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 02:58
Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong tradition of story-telling and oral renditions of the past, Indian writer Suniti Namjoshi incorporates many types of literature into her writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as European sources.

A.writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as
B.writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
C.writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
D.writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as
E.writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 06:48

A. writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as - "both" needs "and"
B. writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and - CORRECT .. parallel, "both indian and european"
C. writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and - "these" cannot refer to singular "writing"
D. writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as - "both" needs "and"
E. writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and - ending not parallel, "both from Indian" not parallel to "European".. to correct it, we need "from European"

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 20:31

A. writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as
B. writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
C. writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
D. writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as
E. writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8358 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 23:33
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
leadhdung
Hi
Quote:
D. writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as
E. writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and

Notwithstanding other idiom or parallelism error in these two choices, why do you think 'writing, which' in D and 'writing that' in E are particularly wrong? Both the relative pronouns seem to duly modify her writing.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8358 [1], given: 366

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong traditio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
leadhdung
Hi
Quote:

Notwithstanding other idiom or parallelism error in these two choices, why do you think 'writing, which' in D and 'writing that' in E are particularly wrong? Both the relative pronouns seem to duly modify her writing.

I'm happy to receive your response daagh :P

- First of all, i believe that historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes are examples of types of literature (non-underlined part), not of her writing.

- Secondly, the use of includes in D and E is redundant since we are already have incorporate .

- Last but not least, EVEN THOUGH the presence of inlcudes WERE NOT redundant, the form of verb include in D and E is problematic! Let take a example from OG.

As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Here is the explanation that is related to the use of includes: https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-an-actres ... ml#p728639

TommyWallach wrote:

b. Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
PROBLEM: The problem here is two-fold. First of all, our modifier gets odd here. If you take out the middle man "one of the most...", we end up with a sentence saying that "As an actress and a teacher of acting, Stella Adler trained several generations of actors." That doesn't make any sense. She only taught people as a teacher, not as an actress. Also, the "who include" is modifying incorrectly here.

Think about this sample sentence, "I have a lot of friends who include Dave and Jim." It sounds like my friends are including Dave and Jim (when they hang out together), rather than that Dave and Jim are two of my many friends.

:lol:

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 238

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8358 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 01:55
Top Contributor
leanhdung:
Am I to infer that as per your notion, D and E suggest that 'her writing' is some type of literature? If that were so, why wouldn't the choices include her writing along with the rest of types such historical texts, rhymes and so on?
The idea of D and E as I see is that Sunithi used a variety of types literature not limited to the three stated but even more. On the contrary, if there were only three types that she used, then the text does not even have to mention her writing. In that sense, even B would be redundant because it mentions her writing.
In the case of Stella, Tommy correctly pointed out that 'who' is modifying actors wrongly rather than the generations. In addition, one cannot refer to the generations with the pronoun "who". 'Whose' can definitely stand for the generations?
The Stella topic wanted to emphasize that she trained such diverse generations of actors such as Marlon Brando belonging to the 50's through the end of the century and Robert Niro who was at least 20 years junior to Brando. In that sense, the pronoun who doesn't fit in Stella's case.
But in the current case, 'which and that' appropriately stand for 'her writing'.
But the issue can go on endlessly with perceptions varying among so many, but as long as it leads to the finishing post that D and E are any way wrong, that is good enough, I suppose.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8358 [0], given: 366

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 09:26
daagh wrote:
The algorithm to solving this problem is:

1. Both --- as well as--- is wrong; eliminate A and D;
2. Lack of parallelism in correlative conjunction; both --- and; eliminate E.
3. Use of demonstrative pronoun ‘these’ is inappropriate – eliminate C

Tick on B;

I learned from you that "and" implies 50/50 and "as well as" implies inequality (so 49/51 or 99/1 etc)
I don´t get why we are supposed to have a 50/50 situation here, as it is an Indian writer so he includes Indian stuff and EVEN European stuff logically I rather tend to as well as...

Can you provide some more info, when "as well as" is preferred to "and"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1073 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:42

A. writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as - Both X as well Y is incorrect idiom ; the usage of colon and including is incorrect (d
B. writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and - Correct
C. writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and -- these needs to be followed by a noun ; these include is redundant as we have already used a colon
D. writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as - Both X as well Y is incorrect idiom
E. writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and - parallelism issue - Both X and Y

** 'colon + these include' is impossible in any circumstance because it contradicts itself.

if a list follows a colon, the implication is that the list is COMPLETE.
if i say that some group 'includes' a certain list, then that list is INCOMPLETE.

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1073 [0], given: 90

Re: Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong traditio   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2017, 12:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong traditio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap