Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3137 [28]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink]
I never said "completely!"

I'm hesitant in C because we know zippo about the budget. Nothing at all except the lack of transit fare revenue. We don't know how leveraged the city is, where it's investments lie, what its industry ties are. The city could have been running a huge surplus for years and can easily absorb the "damage"

But for A, we know that these are local service stations. We know that service stations make all their money from gas sales (pretty much all peripheral sales are made from people also buying gas). Sure, there will be some people who drive anyway... the cost of using public transportation (inconvenience, smelly, whatever) outweighs the high price of gas. Fine for them. But it is not much of a leap to assume that there will be a large chunk of people who do decide to leave the car at home. It is not a leap to assume the local service stations will lose business.

Yes, the fare revenue is tied to the city budget. But gasoline sales are tied to the overall sustainability of a service station in a critical way. I'm sure the city won't go bankrupt from the temporary revenue drop. I'm not so sure about the service stations who might not be able to weather the drought as well as their national competitors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
But the question asks you to state what you think is "most likely" to be damaged. So you sort of have to project scenarios in order to assess the probability. All things told, in my mind the gas sellers will suffer more than a city when demand for gas drops.

I really don't this is a valid thing to assume at all - we don't know enough about the city. However it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the gasoline sales are related to the success of the service stations in a very critical way - we know enough about what a service station does. That juncture is a major deciding factor for me. Yeah, it's an assumption, but a solid one. Without some sort of projection into the unknown you could call the ambiguity card on all the answers. To me, A has the least amount of ambiguity in that the damage will be most prominent.

I don't think your three scenarios for the gas station have equal probability at all. (1) is almost a 0 probability (obviously they wont lose ALL business), and we can quibble over the spread between (2) and (3) though I don't see how it is possible that the city's move wont affect them at all.

As for the city, remember what the overarching goal is? To stave off the microrecession it anticipates if the gas price issue is not dealt with. So they're literally doing what they are doing in order to try and IMPROVE or at least stabilize local business overall. Since the question tells us that we can assume everything in the opener is true, it's actually quite likely that the sacrifice in transport revenues will be made up for in terms of a better overall economy!

Sometimes it's good to take a more objective approach like you're suggesting, and try to find the answer that has the least amount of ambiguity. But in this case I don't think that's necessary since enough stated and implied and inferable facts exist to make the case that direct sellers of gas will be the most affected (aka damaged).

But I have been grossly wrong before, and I suppose the OA will settle it. Watch it be D or something :wink:
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Another, more analytic way to approach it could go like this:

(also I've reread the question, and it DOES NOT say that we can assume anything in the opener is true, but it does say ASSUME ALL THE STATEMENTS are true. This is interesting since it means the bus union folks WILL be adding routes and the commuter delays WILL happen and the budget WILL be unbalanced and the gas stations WILL lose customers - basically my first post here has to go in the garbage.. but I still think it comes down to A, C and maybe D... ).

So we're debating on who gets a rougher deal, local gas shops or the city (and now again the bus people and the commuters).

We do not have either entity's financial statements so we must create checklists of what we do know about them an how they operate business:

City:

- Fact: It's big enough to need a transportation system.
- Assumption: It probably runs its finances like any other largish city. That is to say it has a diversified portfolio and stakes in many other businesses, government loans/bonds, bank notes, etc.
- Assumption: The city has the financial flexibility to be able to forgo transport fee revenue for three months. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to do it.
- Fact: It will "damage" them in terms of the council budget balance.
- Likely Consequences: budgets become unbalanced all the time, especially with large entities like cities. but overall, what's going to happen to the city council? Are the members going to go hungry? Lose their jobs? Over a deficit? From a movement aimed at helping the economy (and environment too, if you think about it)? I really doubt there will be any lasting or even noticeable "damage" done. They're too diversified, and any city that relies on transport fees as a significant source of revenue (as opposed to say, property tax...) is a city doomed to failure anyway.

Service Stations

- Fact: They're a local chain, so they have no national reserves or back up
- Fact: The MAIN driver of revenue, and the largest one is gas sales.
- Fact: Gas prices are abnormally high
- Fact: Service stations are price takers. Typically one service station cannot charge so much as a tenth of a cent more than a proximate competitor without losing a serious amount of business.
- Assumption: Taking the last two facts together, we can assume that gas prices are not high because services stations are jerks. Obviously their costs have gone up dramatically as well. If they didn't raise the price they'd be losing money.
- Fact: They will see fewer customers during the daily commute.
- Fact: This is going to directly impact their bottom line. Less gas is being sold. Most revenue comes from selling gas (close to all of it, probably)
- Assumptions: They might fail to make enough money to cover the rising costs.
- Likely Consequences: They might have to shut down for the three months if the national gas station chains are able to offer a price 3 tenths of a cent less because of their nationalized infrastructure, or just because it's cheaper to be closed than to be open. These are palpable dangers. The likelihood is unknown, but it is not zero. The likelihood of the city shutting down is very close to zero.

I think we have ignore absolute measurements of financial impact and focus on relative ones, because the city can probably take a millions dollar hit, but John's pizza shop down the road goes under if he loses $20,000 in a year. Obviously the millions was more absolute money but John suffered more damage, relatively.

In light of my rereading the question I have to reconsider my reasoning for B and D's rejections.

B: It might be stressful for the bus folks to work longer and make new routes, but they are unionized so you know they are getting compensated for it. No real damage there.

D: Collectively, the social/physical/emotional stress of the delays and crowding is very real. But it's not really possible to assess damage. It's not like it's a unheard of situation for humans to be in. The commuters will adapt. Maybe a store clerk gets fired for being late. I still think a chain of gas stations facing a serious threat to cash flow is more evident of damage.

Egads. Post the OA already would ya? Heh.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
dimitri92 wrote:
OA is

Good work all of you guys

Welp, I stand corrected (multiple times)!

After going over all the reasons you guys gave for the right answer, I still can't convince myself of it. So I'll have to try and go back and poke holes in my own reasoning.

The simplest way of looking at it I guess is that we can't measure the gas stations' loss of business but we can be sure that the city council budget will be off balance (says so right in the statement). And if you stop there it seems fine. But what I can't get over is that point of absolute vs relative damage, namely: how do you justify that the unbalancing is more damaging that even a 1% decline in business to the service stations? You can't, so you have to make a judgement call. OA and you guys see it being C, and I'd love a really good breakdown of why it isn't A.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Boston College , U of Miami
Send PM
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to w [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose A at first, but searched on here and it seems to be OA is (C) .

I think what I got hung up on was

...and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices

So, the general idea is the city wants people to spend money in the city so the city can collect the $. People cant do this if they are spending all their money on gas.

I glanced over C and said to myself, '' true, the budget wont balance coming from the transit end, but considering that the 'above' statements were true i thought people would spend the difference in the city economy and the city would recoup $ via economic growth in businesses, etc. ''
once again i over-analyze CR and pay the price.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: SCM, Strategy, General Management
Schools:Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
 Q48  V26
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Send PM
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to w [#permalink]
Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to work in the center of the city are facing a large increase in transportation expenses that will limit the funds they have available to spend in other areas. In order to forestall a slowdown in the local economy, the city council has decided that fares on all forms of public transportation will be suspended for the next three months. Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices.

The argument is "city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices."

In above argument ..tricky part is 'on the whole'

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following is most likely to be damaged by the city council’s plan?

• A local chain of service stations, which will see fewer customers during the daily commute.- Incorrect nothing to do with the argument.
• Members of the bus drivers’ union, who will be forced to add more routes and work longer hours. - incorrect- same as A
• The city council’s budget, which will be unbalanced after receiving no revenue from transit fares for three months. - Correct -Due to this plan some citizen might be able to save trasport cost. however , as a whole city's finace i.e. economy will be impacted becauseof loss of revenue from transport• Commuters who already use public transportation daily and who will face crowded conditions and travel delays. - incorrect ..well travel delays and crowded condition will no have impact on city's finance.
• Commuters who do not live near public transportation routes and will not be able to take advantage of the suspended fares.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7798 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos