It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 770 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to w [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 15:08
Was trying to decide between C and D, why is D not the correct answer? I thought that OK so the government's budget could suffer because they will have to subsidize public transport but we also know that the higher prices of gasoline will bring more taxes to them, so I don't think that this it the most damaged of all.

Please someone clarify
Thanks
Cheers
J

Kudos [?]: 770 [0], given: 355

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2014, 18:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 58

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to w [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 09:11
hacker wrote:
Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to work in the center of the city are facing a large increase in transportation expenses that will limit the funds they have available to spend in other areas. In order to forestall a slowdown in the local economy, the city council has decided that fares on all forms of public transportation will be suspended for the next three months. Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices.

The argument is "city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices."

In above argument ..tricky part is 'on the whole'

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following is most likely to be damaged by the city council’s plan?

• A local chain of service stations, which will see fewer customers during the daily commute.- Incorrect nothing to do with the argument.
• Members of the bus drivers’ union, who will be forced to add more routes and work longer hours. - incorrect- same as A
• The city council’s budget, which will be unbalanced after receiving no revenue from transit fares for three months. - Correct -Due to this plan some citizen might be able to save trasport cost. however , as a whole city's finace i.e. economy will be impacted becauseof loss of revenue from transport• Commuters who already use public transportation daily and who will face crowded conditions and travel delays. - incorrect ..well travel delays and crowded condition will no have impact on city's finance.
• Commuters who do not live near public transportation routes and will not be able to take advantage of the suspended fares.

I'm having a problem with this post.
"Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices.".... So why are we assuming that there will be less money for the city council?
It's written that the author of the argument has taken this into consideration....
Help with this please.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 58

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 41

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 06:26
HOW THE **** A DOES NOT WEAKEN THE ARGUMENT ????

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 41

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 10:21
This is a question from a GMATClub test and therefore not an official question: "https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/cr-price-of-gasoline-t16964.html".

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 2405

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18653 [0], given: 1994

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 15:06

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 08:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So as I'm navigating through the Gmatclub questions, I noticed something on certain types of CR. A question like the below would never appear on the actual GMAT, because there is clearly more than 1 correct answer here. On the actual GMAT, even if it says most likely, there should be 1 answer that damages the plan and 4 that do not. Anyone agree?

Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to work in the center of the city are facing a large increase in transportation expenses that will limit the funds they have available to spend in other areas. In order to forestall a slowdown in the local economy, the city council has decided that fares on all forms of public transportation will be suspended for the next three months. Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following is most likely to be damaged by the city council’s plan?

(1) A local chain of service stations, which will see fewer customers during the daily commute.
(2) Members of the bus drivers’ union, who will be forced to add more routes and work longer hours.
(3) The city council’s budget, which will be unbalanced after receiving no revenue from transit fares for three months.
(4) Commuters who already use public transportation daily and who will face crowded conditions and travel delays.
(5) Commuters who do not live near public transportation routes and will not be able to take advantage of the suspended fares.

Last edited by carcass on 26 Aug 2015, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the post

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 9270 [0], given: 117

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 15:11
Commonproject wrote:
So as I'm navigating through the Gmatclub questions, I noticed something on certain types of CR. A question like the below would never appear on the actual GMAT, because there is clearly more than 1 correct answer here. On the actual GMAT, even if it says most likely, there should be 1 answer that damages the plan and 4 that do not. Anyone agree?

(1) A local chain of service stations, which will see fewer customers during the daily commute.
(2) Members of the bus drivers’ union, who will be forced to add more routes and work longer hours.
(3) The city council’s budget, which will be unbalanced after receiving no revenue from transit fares for three months.
(4) Commuters who already use public transportation daily and who will face crowded conditions and travel delays.
(5) Commuters who do not live near public transportation routes and will not be able to take advantage of the suspended fares.

Dear Commonproject,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I will tell you: when I make recommendations to Magoosh students, I tell them that I recommend the math questions on GMAT Club tests. Bunuel is a super-genius, and it appears that he has vetted everything on the mathematics side, so it is all high quality. Unfortunately, I do not recommend the Verbal side. Some of the questions are good. Others are truly abysmal and should be taken out back and shot, such as the one you cite here. I would not recommend relying on the Verbal question in the GMAT Clubs tests to give you a thorough preparation. Once again, you can rely on the math questions, because they are very good.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9270 [0], given: 117

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who drive to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 02:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 168

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 07:24
tuanquang269 wrote:
At the first glance, I will choose A. But when read C twice. I chose C because it directly weaken the conclusion of argument which stated that "Clearly, if commuters can get to work more cheaply, they will have more money left over to spend in other sectors of the economy, and the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices."

Hi, can you please explain why the OA is C and not A. We know from the premise that the city’s finances on the whole will not be negatively affected by higher gasoline prices.So, how does the city council's budget is effected. he is getting more returns from other sectors and so the budget allocation can be spent wisely.
In A, we clearly have a sector who is getting effected as more commuters will prefer public transport, which is free of charge.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 168

Re: Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 07:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 73 posts ] 

Due to a sharp rise in the price of gasoline, commuters who

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap