Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, re [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
It is absolutely the case that poaching and increased cultivation have caused researchers to determine something

I agree, jabhatta2. Poaching can cause you to determine something. For example, poaching can cause you to determine that you should build a fence to prevent further poaching.
But, to MartyTargetTestPrep 's point, poaching can't cause researchers to determine the number of Arabian leopards left in the wild.

Not sure avigutman - The act of poaching in my view CAN CAUSE researchers to determine that there are fewer than 100 leopards.

Justl like - The act of poaching can CAUSE researchers to estimate that there are fewer than 500 free rhinos

I think maybe the act of poaching does not work well with the 2nd clause

The act of poaching can NOT CAUSE researchers to determine that these leopards are thus many times as rare as pandas
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Send PM
Re: Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, re [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
The act of poaching in my view CAN CAUSE researchers to determine that there are fewer than 100 leopards.

Just like - The act of poaching can CAUSE researchers to estimate that there are fewer than 500 free rhinos

Anything wrong with the logic of this sentence, jabhatta2?
The holocaust caused historians to estimate that fewer than 150,000 Jews survived in Europe.
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
The act of poaching in my view CAN CAUSE researchers to determine that there are fewer than 100 leopards.

Just like - The act of poaching can CAUSE researchers to estimate that there are fewer than 500 free rhinos

Anything wrong with the logic of this sentence, jabhatta2?
The holocaust caused historians to estimate that fewer than 150,000 Jews survived in Europe.

thaanks avigutman - i see why this is wrong -- The holocaust itself DID not cause historians to do anything (did not cause historians to estimate / did not cause historians to look into where the chambers were set up....)

poaching caused researchers to determine that there are fewer than 100 leopards left in the wild

Poaching itself did not cause researchers to start this excercise of counting ...

I notice though, you are replacing the word 'due to' with 'caused by' --- i always thought 'due to' vs 'caused by' were fundamentally different
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
always thought 'due to' vs 'caused by' were fundamentally different

Would you like to elaborate on this, jabhatta2? Why you thought this, what you thought the difference was, etc?
In general, please note that SC frequently tests cause->effect relationships, and wrong answers can be grammatically fine while messing up the cause->effect logic (which is what answer choice (A) did here). Poaching didn't lead researchers to make a determination about the number of remaining leopards; poaching caused the number itself to decrease.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vubar wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Here's how I'd think about it: the moment I see "their," I'm asking myself two questions: 1) is there a plural noun the pronoun can refer to? and 2) does this plural noun make sense?

It's true that if my eyes drift backwards from "their" I might first come across "researchers" as a candidate. But while "researchers" is plural, it makes absolutely no sense. We're talking about something getting poached -- common sense tells me that we're probably referring to some kind of animal here, not researchers. (Though I definitely worked with some researchers in my PhD program who reminded me of wild animals. :tongue_opt3 )

Also, the phrase "native habitats" is another clue that we're talking about an animal, not people. So I'll keep looking for my antecedent elsewhere.

As soon as my eyes begin to move in the other direction, they come across "leopards." Well, this is plural. And it's perfectly logical to write about leopards getting poached in their natural habitats. So I'm pretty confident that "their" refers to "leopards." There's no rule about where to look for the pronoun's antecedent. I just knew I was looking for something plural and logical. "Leopards" is the only thing that works.

Do I love this? Nope. But I don't have to. There's no rule that if a sentence contains a plural pronoun, it must contain just one plural noun elsewhere in the sentence. It just needs to have something that could work logically. Every other answer choice here contains a concrete error, so I'm left with option (E).

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja, sorry for digging up an old one, but can I just clarify the last part of your explanation: "It just needs to have something that could work logically."

What if there are multiple somethings that could work logically?

My inclination is that if I'm given two grammatically correct options and one makes it clearer what the correct antecedent is, then I will choose it; BUT, if not, ambiguity is not going to be an error to eliminate on. So I would eliminate things like verb agreement, parallelism, etc. first, and then only eliminate based on ambiguity before other style errors like wordiness.

Does that sound about right?

Exactly. If I have one answer choice where I have to do a little more work to figure out what "it" refers to, and the other four have concrete errors, clearly, the one with the "it" must be better, right?

So it's all about setting priorities. Concrete errors first, then the grayer issues that might be used as tie-breakers.

All to say: you've got it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,
What is the different between "due to" and "because of"?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

Hello, Tanchat. I think this e-GMAT article does a fine job outlining the difference in usage. Happy reading.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

Generally speaking, if due to can be substituted with caused by, then the usage of due to is correct.

For example:

The delay in delivery of the merchandise was due to bad weather.

The usage of due to is correct in the above sentence, because the sentence is equivalent to:

The delay in delivery of the merchandise was caused by bad weather.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the differences between "due to" and "because of". Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Due to vs Because of.pdf [608.65 KiB]
Downloaded 55 times

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

Hello Tanchat,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "due to" is used to modify nouns, and "because of" is used to modify verbs and clauses.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
noboru wrote:
Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as China's giant pandas.

(A) Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as

(B) Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, researchers have determined, making them many times more rare than

(C) There are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined, which makes the leopards many times more rare compared to

(D) Researchers have determined that, because of being poached and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, thus making them many more times as rare as

(E) Researchers have determined that, because of poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times more rare than

SC99250.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

OA is E. My issue is that "their", as per my understanding, refers to "researchers", not to "leopards".
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks

https://www.economist.com/international/1998/01/08/noahs-ark-in-the-gulf

LUCKY the man who has seen an Arabian leopard in the wild. So hunted and so rare are these elusive beasts that few know that they ever existed, let alone survive today in their dwindling mountain habitats. Researchers believe that, thanks to persistent poaching and increased cultivation, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, making them many times more rare than China's boring old giant pandas.

Another way of tackling this quickly is the “due to” and “because of” split. “Due to” is used strictly for nouns whereas “because of” will definitely have a verb connecting the sentence. “Determined that” in this case. Hence,E.
D: being poached is too wordy.

Hope this helps
Please let me know if my reasoning is flawed. Open to improvement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Whether use of "due to" is correct in sentence A ? Experts, kindly guide.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Whether use of "due to" is correct in sentence A ? Experts, kindly guide.

In choice (E), the "because of..." modifier makes perfect sense. The fact that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild is a result of the poaching and increased cultivation.

In choice (A), what does the "due to..." part modify? The researchers themselves? The fact that the researches have determined something? Neither of those makes sense, so even without thinking about specific "rules" for "due to," we can pick (E) over (A).

That said, the GMAT does seem to prefer using "due to" to modify nouns and "because of" to modify clauses. Here we're trying to modify a clause ("there are fewer than..."), so we'd probably prefer "because of" and not "due to" in this case.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Quote:
Due to rain and hail, JD cancelled his trip.

Your example conveys that rain and hail caused JD to cancel his trip, a meaning that makes completes sense.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

Isn't the mentioned sentence incorrect? I have learned that ''Due to'' modifies ''nouns'' not ''actions''.
But in the above sentence, it seems to modify the action verb ''Cancelled''

Also, please review if my reasons are correct to eliminate below two options:

(B) Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, researchers have determined, making them many times more rare than

1. ''Due to'' cannot modify ''there are fewer''
2. ''making'' doesn't have a valid subject: Subject ''There are'' stands for nothing

(D) Researchers have determined that, because of being poached and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, thus making them many more times as rare as

1. ''making'' doesn't have a valid subject: Subject ''There are'' stands for nothing
2. ridiculous ''as rare as''

Thanks
Ashutosh
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts