GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Duke (50%) vs Wisconsin (100%)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.68
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Duke (50%) vs Wisconsin (100%)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 15:03
Hello all,

I have narrowed my offers down to two schools, Duke with roughly a 50% scholarship and Wisconsin with a 100% scholarship. I applied and got into UNC and IU both with 50% but basically if I shell out any money its going to be for Duke since its the highest ranked. So that leaves me with either taking out 60-70k for Duke or going to Wisconsin for free. Is the Duke name worth the debt trade off? I want to go into brand management in the CPG industry. Duke is great for marketing and Wisconsin has a specialized program for brand management. They both share similar brand management recruiters however obviously Duke has more recruiters over all. Duke's average brand management starting salary was published at $110k vs. $103k at Wisconsin, but considering I'd be paying back substantial loans after Duke, is Duke worth the debt?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Duke (50%) vs Wisconsin (100%)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 15:35
There is quite a bit of difference between the 2 schools - Duke has 420 people per class and Wisconsin in 92. When you said that Wisconsin brand management average salary was 103, how many people was that based on? probably 4 or 8? (Those are top of the class guys) vs. Duke that probably had a larger number go in.

However, it sounds like you have done your homework and talked to a few of the current first year students. This reviewer http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/madison-59 claimed that they had a better deal with recruiters as a small school, but their placement numbers don't really prove it though salary at 95-100K is quite decent.

To me, Duke (currently rated #13 and ranked within top 10, a number of years) would be worth the trade off vs. Madison that is rated #33. 20 notches below is a meaningful enough difference to be felt in terms of recruiting, peers, and professors. Also with only 92 students per year, you are likely have a pretty limited selection of courses and limited scheduling options too.

Hope this helps!
BB

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge
Duke (50%) vs Wisconsin (100%)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 19:15
Yes, it [Duke] is absolutely worth it. You should not hesitate imho.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 03:11
Not even close, go to Duke.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 05:04
No brainer. Have a Fuqua Future!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 12:31
I would recommend going to Duke. Great program that is actually on the rise from an already high perch. It is a perfect fit for you career wise as the program has great access to CPG companies in the south like Coke. Wisconsin is a nice program but not on the tier with Duke or as apt to allow you to reach your career goals

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 10:58
I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss Madison. Its a small program and even smaller if you consider that you'll be part of the brand management center. You essentially get private tutoring through your MBA. Also, those averages reported are a bit skewed, remember that there are specializations that don't pull much money like the Arts Management program.

The other thing that Madison has going for it is that is very generous about giving assitanships which will actually put money in your pocket as you study (and they don't take a lot of time).

Finally recruiting, I'm not familiar with the placements of Fuqua, but Madison places mostly locally (Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Madison) and the cost of living in most of this cities isn't very high, 100k goes a long way.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 11:39
nachobioteck wrote:
Finally recruiting, I'm not familiar with the placements of Fuqua, but Madison places mostly locally (Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Madison) and the cost of living in most of this cities isn't very high, 100k goes a long way.

I would say that whatever you can rent/buy in Milwaukee for 100K, you will never be able to get even with $250K in Bay Area. However, there is a reason people prefer Bay Area or East Coast. The opportunities, the overall culture, and lifestyle. I agree about the money going a lot further, but I don't know that it's a win per se.

On the rankings side, which we all just witnessed how flawed they are with Stern dropping 8 spots, Madison went up 6 (or dropped if you are looking at it mathematically) from 33 to 27 - that's an impressive jump. Also, their WE average stands at 5.5 years - that's a positive in my book (they are not dragging in guys with 2-3 years to fill in seats with high GMAT scores). It is looking more promising based on pure numbers (sorry, I don't know any grads personally).

I am not sure I would take the small size as a positive (getting tutored through the program) - I like a small class and the safety that offers but I am not sure that's attractive enough for employers to make a trip/bother with the school. I think you can easily alleviate it with a good personal network within the industry or connections to a company you are looking to intern/work for. This is a great example when you can make a professional network be an investment and have an ROI.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Sales (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 12:57
Duke, hands down.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Duke (50%) vs Wisconsin (100%)   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2016, 12:57

Duke (50%) vs Wisconsin (100%)

new topic post reply Update application status