Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
highhopes wrote:
asimov wrote:
aerien wrote:
For me, at this point in the process when I'm lucky enough to have multiple admits, I want to attend a school where I feel like I'm a valued person. If I'm going to pay someone $200k, I want to know that it's appreciated. Being just another goat in the herd when other farmers are rolling out the red carpet for me isn't super appealing.

Now, I love Duke. It's been a long process for me to get to this point with Fuqua and I am really appreciative of my offer. Relatively speaking though, when my phone is ringing off the hook with various Ross students calling and I have hand-written holiday cards from Yale in my mailbox, the lack of contact from Duke becomes very evident. I understand that Duke is student-led, and if students want to do the calling that's great -- but they should do it efficiently knowing that other schools have this part of the process down to a science, and at the end of the day, I as the customer can still choose to take my business elsewhere. Extending an offer doesn't close the deal.

I completely agree. I think sometimes the Fuqua AdCom leadership is too complacent with the status quo, and ride on the reputation of the school get applications and the strength of the student body to interact with perspectives online. I think we would have much better yield, if we have more personal touch. It is ashame that we don’t present a good first impression. Think of AdCom as HR, a bit out of touch and not a good reflection of the actual experience. The good thing is that this is the last time you will have to deal with the AdCom, and the experience as a student is much different (in a good way).

I would agree as well, it's a shame that Fuqua doesn't measure up in this regard. I sympathize as I also remember Ross being a ton better in this regard (I recall getting contacted by an alum on top of a student, which is something I don't think Fuqua would consider). Ideally, the process would be lined up so that you'd get a call the same day, but I think the decision process often takes up to the last minute and then it takes a bit of time to propagate the info out and for students to call. I can assure you that it's important to admissions that your interviewer reach out to you and that it gets done in a timely manner, so I hope you'll hear soon. Fuqua makes it a point to give you a consistent contact (rather than random people reaching out), so perhaps this slows things down too.

Perhaps an aread that we can contribute to & improve upon as future student. :)

R2 applicants, I received an update yesterday that my application is complete. Eagerly waiting for Feb7th now! Has that time machine been invented yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
alis wrote:
Well good point! It's probably a matter of expectations. I had always heard about everyone getting 'the call' so in my mind that became the norm. Definitely appreciative to get an acceptance though, so I don't mean to sound picky.

Nah, just more or less messing with you :)

aerien wrote:
For me, at this point in the process when I'm lucky enough to have multiple admits, I want to attend a school where I feel like I'm a valued person. If I'm going to pay someone $200k, I want to know that it's appreciated. Being just another goat in the herd when other farmers are rolling out the red carpet for me isn't super appealing.

Now, I love Duke. It's been a long process for me to get to this point with Fuqua and I am really appreciative of my offer. Relatively speaking though, when my phone is ringing off the hook with various Ross students calling and I have hand-written holiday cards from Yale in my mailbox, the lack of contact from Duke becomes very evident. I understand that Duke is student-led, and if students want to do the calling that's great -- but they should do it efficiently knowing that other schools have this part of the process down to a science, and at the end of the day, I as the customer can still choose to take my business elsewhere. Extending an offer doesn't close the deal.

Not being argumentative, but I got no call, no invite to facebook groups, no anything, not even a personalized email when I was volunteering to sacrifice $300,000 and four of the prime years of my life to hit med school. Many of my friends got absolutely nothing personal from their residency match, just 'see you on July 1st, wear scrubs'. So, yeah, it's pretty much a matter of expectations, and maybe I'm just pretty damn callous :P

From the early admit folks, it seems like you will have a great avenue of contact with your interviewer and Fuqua buddy once the route is opened. I have gotten many 'one-off' contacts from various folks at my admits, but nothing long-going like it seems with Fuqua. Maybe some of them are just slow starters? (Also, funny that you mention Yale, as Yale has blown me away by their contact and kindness through multiple years and application processes to various programs. They really seem sincerely awesome.)

At any rate, congrats on the acceptance and hopefully they get to you soon. If you choose to shun Fuqua, kindly send the acceptance my way ;)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
krudget wrote:
alis wrote:
Well good point! It's probably a matter of expectations. I had always heard about everyone getting 'the call' so in my mind that became the norm. Definitely appreciative to get an acceptance though, so I don't mean to sound picky.

Nah, just more or less messing with you :)

aerien wrote:

Not being argumentative, but I got no call, no invite to facebook groups, no anything, not even a personalized email when I was volunteering to sacrifice $300,000 and four of the prime years of my life to hit med school. Many of my friends got absolutely nothing personal from their residency match, just 'see you on July 1st, wear scrubs'. So, yeah, it's pretty much a matter of expectations, and maybe I'm just pretty damn callous :P

Definitely a matter of expectations -- and for me, other bschools have set the bar high already. Beyond that though, I think there's a huge difference in expectation between med school and bschool (and especially undergrad). I didn't expect anything when being accepted to undergrad, and the occasional call I did get for that, was well above and beyond anything I could have imagined. I imagine it's similar for med school as most people apply to many many schools and end up going wherever they are accepted since an MD is necessary to become a doctor. In the grand scheme of things, an MBA is not a degree that is required for someone to work in business or start their own company. You could choose to forgo the degree entirely and still create a successful career for yourself.

Side note: If I just receive Duke's admit package, it will put Duke miles ahead of a school-that-will-not-be-named from which I never received their information last year. ;) My experiences with this have run the gamut but back to alis' initial point, I expected more from Team Fuqua. Though, I've also thought of Team Fuqua for too long and I've probably put it on an impossibly high pedestal too.

Getting off my soap box now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Not receiving calls is not cool but i say we waited for so long to hear about admission decisions, why cant we wait for just about 1week for phone calls? I am pretty sure latest by Monday we will start hearing from them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Got the call for scholarship $. Now this makes the decision between Kellogg and Duke even more difficult.

Just to add my two cents to the call debate. Getting the admission call from Kellogg was the best moment in my life, hands down. Nothin can replace that feeling. My Admission contact point, who had inititaed the contact with the congratulatory e-mail on the 1st day, remained in contact with me till the admit package was dispatched and my initial questions about financial aid were answered by the financial aid team. My K-Buddy, however, took 10 days to establish contact. I also recieved hand written greeting card from IESE even before the decision.

At Duke, I can certainly understand the underwhelming feeling especically by those who haven't recieved scholarship calls. I think every school should have a call system in place, preferably on the same day. Nothing can replace that 2-3 minute call.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
This was the one thing that frustrated me last year as well. It took over two weeks for the admit packet to arrive, and it didn't even have the fancy binders, pens, flash drives, etc. that other schools sent with theirs. On top of that, the welcome receptions in various cities were poorly planned compared to the ones the other schools organized. I remember Ross and Johnson completely blowing me away with the number of people who reached out to me trying to get me to commit. Johnson even had an MD from Bain call me and make himself available to me for pretty much anything. This all changed after BDW. Not only will you eventually get all the freebies that the admit packet lacks, but the community, both the student population and alumni base, will give you the warm and fuzzies. Just be patient, and Duke will make it worth it. :)

Also, just to put this debate in perspective, this is the first time that Fuqua has released decisions immediately after the holidays. Last year, I believe the R1 decisions came out in February. Granted AdCom should have anticipated the potential delays and prepared for these better. However, this is something that they are doing differently and that they will eventually get better at. Would you rather have waited another month for the results just so you could get a call from your Fuqua Buddy a few days quicker?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
alis wrote:
i'm a bit surprised that the ad com is complacent. megan who heads up admissions kept talking about how she wanted to remove the 'black box' of admissions, make it more transparent, etc., and seemed to have a lot of energy for moving things forward and innovating. that seems like a big miss if they haven't nailed the really touchy feely part of admissions vs. what their peer schools are doing.
I didn't interact with Megan too much during my time at Fuqua. As an alumnus, she has the drive and empathy to improve Fuqua. And I’ve heard great things about her. Not to name names, I’m not sure other senior member of the AdCom has the same drive for Fuqua admission to do better and be better. After the e-mail notification, admit package (very underwhelming), and interviewer call, I did not hear anything from admissions except for BDW, which was student organized.

The issue of not closing the deal isn’t anything new and has been brought up to many times in different forums to the school. There are a high level of interest from the student body to reach out on a volunteer basis, but as highhopes said, the students’ hands are tied, and frankly, I believe there is strong entrenched interest in AdCom to keep control. Hopefully, as Megan gain more experience on the job, things will change for the better.

I know all of Fuqua students/alum would agree that having a strong student body is one of the most important aspects of Team Fuqua. Having interacted with several great admits who turned down the offer because of the distaste in the admit experience, I am deeply disappointed at the admission’s performance.

Luckily, the experience as a student has no correlation with the admit experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
How do interview invites work with Fuqua? Will they come out on a rolling basis as they review applications or are they all released on a certain day like I've heard some schools are doing? Anyone know more or less when to start expecting invites for round 2 applicants?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
How do interview invites work with Fuqua? Will they come out on a rolling basis as they review applications or are they all released on a certain day like I've heard some schools are doing? Anyone know more or less when to start expecting invites for round 2 applicants?

For all rounds, the interview invites are sent on a pre-determined date (Feb 7th for Round 2).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Just curious how much is the typical range for a merit scholarship per year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Very excited - received a call from Fuqua with $!! Now I have to decide what to do... I don't know if it is enough $ to turn down Booth...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
nearlythere wrote:
Very excited - received a call from Fuqua with $!! Now I have to decide what to do... I don't know if it is enough $ to turn down Booth...

They are busy making those rounds this morning!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
asimov wrote:
The issue of not closing the deal isn’t anything new and has been brought up to many times in different forums to the school. There are a high level of interest from the student body to reach out on a volunteer basis, but as highhopes said, the students’ hands are tied, and frankly, I believe there is strong entrenched interest in AdCom to keep control. Hopefully, as Megan gain more experience on the job, things will change for the better.

I know all of Fuqua students/alum would agree that having a strong student body is one of the most important aspects of Team Fuqua. Having interacted with several great admits who turned down the offer because of the distaste in the admit experience, I am deeply disappointed at the admission’s performance.

Luckily, the experience as a student has no correlation with the admit experience.

Hi Asimov, how was your experience with the career management center at Fuqua? I know that CMC and admissions are not correlated, but the callousness of adcom make me doubt the entire Fuqua administration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
ahhhhghghgh... someone from admissions just called with some "additional information" and I missed it!!!! Calling back now and crossing fingers!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Has anyone received the email with information on how to log into the admitted students website?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
ctgmat123 wrote:
Has anyone received the email with information on how to log into the admitted students website?

yes i got it last night, subj line "Incoming Student Website Invitation"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Not sure how I missed that email...turns out I got that too and didn't notice it.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts