Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.23
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
bl13 wrote:
In an online chat in 2007, Liz mentioned about a third of the class got merit scholarships. I'd be curious if anyone has more up to date info on this.
Fuqua traditionally has been very stingy with scholarships. Partly because we are such a young school, and have one of the smallest endowment among the elite schools. Not only is the % of people with scholarship less than others, the amount of scholarship is smaller as well. However, I think this may be changing. I know Dean Boulding is really pushing alumni giving and general fundraising. A big part of the push is to grow the scholarship pot. Albeit, I don't know which class this will affect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
asimov wrote:
bl13 wrote:
In an online chat in 2007, Liz mentioned about a third of the class got merit scholarships. I'd be curious if anyone has more up to date info on this.
Fuqua traditionally has been very stingy with scholarships. Partly because we are such a young school, and have one of the smallest endowment among the elite schools. Not only is the % of people with scholarship less than others, the amount of scholarship is smaller as well. However, I think this may be changing. I know Dean Boulding is really pushing alumni giving and general fundraising. A big part of the push is to grow the scholarship pot. Albeit, I don't know which class this will affect.

For all those interested, I'm reposting a Businessweek interview with Dean Boulding in which he specifically speaks to increasing scholarship and endowment, and Fuqua's recent success around this. Hopefully this translates to the class of 2015!

https://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... uas-future
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
theK wrote:
jontron wrote:
The t-shirts are given out during BDW. Those of us who attended the February one are already wearing them for March Madness! Go Blue Devils!

Thanks for the info. If we can't attend BDW, can we still get the t-shirts when we start in August? :-D

Believe me, you'll get a lot once you come down here. :)

Congrats to all R2 admits! Look forward to meeting some of you at BDW.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
theK wrote:
jontron wrote:
The t-shirts are given out during BDW. Those of us who attended the February one are already wearing them for March Madness! Go Blue Devils!

Thanks for the info. If we can't attend BDW, can we still get the t-shirts when we start in August? :-D

I have heard that we shouldn't worry if our wardrobes will be well stocked with Duke gear. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Kudos
ghosht wrote:
so anyone holding off full blown celebrations till the background check stuff?
before i completely check out from work, there a nagging voice in my head that says what if the background check does not go through. hold off on your celebrations and grand travel plans till everything is set in stone. anyone else feeling this? :)

The 2nd greatest day in my life after receiving acceptance from Fuqua was receiving the email saying my check was completed successfully :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
The background check is really a formality. You'd have to be actively trying to deceive on your application to fail the check. In my case the person doing the background check was in touch to clarify my undergrad studies (my undergrad university changed its name). Within a couple of days of the clarification, the check was complete.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
jontron wrote:
Slider wrote:
To alumn:

I'm curious any advice you can provide on housing. Station 9 sounds like the place to be for a single guy, however I'm worried it's a bit too much of a party atmosphere for what I'm looking for. Granted, I want to meet, socialize, party, but I'm more serious about academics and worried that S9 might be too noisy and distracting.

What is the environment at S9? I was thinking a good alternative might be to rent at the new Crescent 9th Street Apartments (opening this summer) so I can have my own space but still hang out at nearby S9 and Ninth Street.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

https://www.crescentninthstreet.com/floor-plans

It looks as if Crescent 9 is opening in Winter 2013. I was going to show you the Circle 9 (the one across from Station 9) webcam but it seems that Circle 9 has been renamed Crescent 9. The last time I checked, there was no way that the building was going to open by the Summer since construction was still in the really early stages. You might want to look into this more because if this is still true, Crescent/Circle 9 may not even be an option.

Thank you for the quick response. I called their leasing office and they are confident that phase 1 will be completed and ready for move in on July 15th (phase 1 includes just a few of the buildings). I believe the Winter '13 number on their web site is referring to Harris Teeter specifically.

Either way, it definitely is a bit of a gamble...dealing with housing issues when trying to begin at Fuqua would be a real pain
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Slider wrote:
To alumn:

I'm curious any advice you can provide on housing. Station 9 sounds like the place to be for a single guy, however I'm worried it's a bit too much of a party atmosphere for what I'm looking for. Granted, I want to meet, socialize, party, but I'm more serious about academics and worried that S9 might be too noisy and distracting.

What is the environment at S9? I was thinking a good alternative might be to rent at the new Crescent 9th Street Apartments (opening this summer) so I can have my own space but still hang out at nearby S9 and Ninth Street.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Here’s my take on the popular apartment complex:

S9 – Party central, it’s pretty much a dorm/frat house for Fuqua.
Alexan Place – Affordable option where many international students live.
Trinity Commons – New and posh, a variety of people lives here (undergrad, med, law, fuqua, etc.)
Lofts – Used to be the high end apartment for those who want to be close to school, although I think less and less Fuquans are living here, due to newer more luxurious options.

Your other option is to rent through private listing. I found that Duke’s Community Housing page is better than Craigslist: https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/forms/chouse/search.php
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
threestripes wrote:
There are actually more First Years than Second Years living in the Lofts this year. It's not a good option for those who want to share units, though, because the wall of the second bedroom, which is adjacent to the living room, does not go all the way up to the ceiling.

That's the way my friend's building in Brightleaf Square is too. Check out the places you want to look at -- some complexes have rooms where the walls only go half way to the ceiling. That means you can hear everything that goes on (music playing, phone conversations, etc). I'm not really sure why it is the way it is, but I've only seen it in Durham :P

I lived in a place once where the walls didn't go up to the ceiling. That place was called Kuwait.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
MBAcm2013 wrote:
I'm interested in a 2 bedroom at Station 9 to share with a fellow Fuquan. Just out of curiosity - how quickly do these rooms go at S9? I probably won't have the roommate situation figured out until after BDW (April 19) but am wondering if I should start communicating with the S9 management prior to then? I don't want to get closed out of the complex. Thanks!

You should contact them to get your name on the waitlist. It's $75, but after I got in R1 the current students I spoke with, including a good friend who lives there now, told me to get on the waitlist sooner rather than later if I was serious about Fuqua / living at S9. You can put your name on the WL for a 2BR and figure out who you'll live with later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Tepper (WL)
Send PM
Kudos
highwyre237 wrote:
pp196 wrote:
So if I applied in R3 and haven't received an invitation I can certainly assume that it will be a big thanks for participating

I dont think that's 100% the case. Most likely, but there is a chance you could be WLed and asked to interview in the coming months. It's definitely worth checking your status on friday.

But as an international applicant I think that is less probable. Anyways I will certainly check my status and hope for the best. And by the way I am sick of the wait lists. :P

Good luck.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
blakedaniel wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:
blakedaniel wrote:
So I made the mistake of re-reading an email I sent to Adcom, giving them a last minute update. In my re-read I noticed three typos. That said, I think I may have unintentionally withdrew my application. Ha. Good luck everyone. Only a few more days.

I really don't believe that these schools attracting best candidates make their decisions based on few typos in e-mails. So don't loose hope.

I hope you're right, AlanSmithee. I've worked hard thus far, and poured a lot of my heart into this. For my application to be tanked by three typos in an email would be a big blow. Looks like we'll find out tomorrow. Time to get bumped up! :boxer2

Dont worry about it, I'm pretty sure everyone has a few typos here and there... but I can empathize... it's tough knowing "well... that's it, the last part of this process I have any control over... and I messed it up"

We all go through that, don't beat yourself up over it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools: Duke CC (A)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm local and received the call about 1 hour ago! i was elated when i saw the 919 number; nicest person ever! Asked whether i had a moment to talk? ahh for you i have all the time in the world! I'm getting scotch after work!

Originally posted by surpriseme2 on 10 May 2013, 08:29.
Last edited by surpriseme2 on 10 May 2013, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
dormor wrote:
Deny, after Round 2 waitlist.
Well, 2014 EA here I come

Here I come for EA as well!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Admitted and matriculating! Beyond excited...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Officially declined last week, hope my space will add chances for guys sitting in R3 and WL. Duke is a fantastic school and I am really thankful for the ride. Good luck fellas!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
I'll be applying either Round 1 or Early Action. Can't wait for an exciting application process!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts