Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
highwyre237 wrote:
Interviewing on sat, have a full day planned, from 9-3:15. the wife has an event at work, so we wont get in until midnight fri night :-/ no fuqua friday for us.

Any hotel suggestions?

Actually I forgot, I visited Duke a couple of months ago. My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Indigo, near the airport. It's $75 a night and I had a great experience.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Interviewing on sat, have a full day planned, from 9-3:15. the wife has an event at work, so we wont get in until midnight fri night :-/ no fuqua friday for us.

Any hotel suggestions?

Check out the La Quinta Inn Durham Chapel Hill on Durham Chapel Hill blvd.

You're going to need a rental car anyways to get around so your hotel options don't need to be that close. The place was about 15 minutes away and had a gym (which I worked out in the night before my interview) and free breakfast and coffee (which I ate in my room while I prepped in the morning). It was a great deal at 70 bucks a night and I plan on staying there again the next time I travel out there!
Director
Director
Send PM
TJsingler wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Any hotel suggestions?

Since I lived quite close to Fuqua, I can take a stab at this. Millenium Hotel is pretty decent, and walkable to Fuqua. Are you going to be driving to Fuqua ? If you have a car, you might be able to get a cheaper place a little further away.

Flying into RDU, but we'll prob rent a car.

Since we're getting in late, the closer to the airport the better.

BTW the millennium is only 99 a night... If thats not considered on the cheaper side, I could really get used to Durham prices :-)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
For those planning to interview on-campus and who are not getting a rental car (like me!), I know there are some hotels that have free shuttles to Duke campus. One of them is the Hilton, but I'm sure there are more.

The Washington Duke Inn (WaDuke) is actually on-campus and right down the street from Fuqua; it's on the pricier side though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
i cant find a decent flight from jfk to rdu without breaking the budget. Wonder if I should just make the 8 hour drive instead? Id rather be in my car than cramped in a connecting flight for 3 hours.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
TJsingler wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Any hotel suggestions?

Since I lived quite close to Fuqua, I can take a stab at this. Millenium Hotel is pretty decent, and walkable to Fuqua. Are you going to be driving to Fuqua ? If you have a car, you might be able to get a cheaper place a little further away.

Flying into RDU, but we'll prob rent a car.

Since we're getting in late, the closer to the airport the better.

BTW the millennium is only 99 a night... If thats not considered on the cheaper side, I could really get used to Durham prices :-)

Haha. Tell me about it . I live in California and the price difference is stark. I think Jontron and aerien gave great suggestions, but Hotel Indigo is really close to the airport. It's a brand new hotel and I think they have free breakfast (can't remember)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
If you have a rental car, the Holiday Inn is a decent place. Its in Durham though, outside of campus. Its about a 5 minute drive to Fuqua. Free breakfast helps too.
Director
Director
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
i cant find a decent flight from jfk to rdu without breaking the budget. Wonder if I should just make the 8 hour drive instead? Id rather be in my car than cramped in a connecting flight for 3 hours.

I'm coming from logan. Had to do a layover in phili going down... but found a direct coming back. Had to book 2 different airlines, but go it for under 300 total.

I was looking into flying to charlotte and renting a car, 2.5 hour drive... much cheaper flights

BTW La quinta booked
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aerien wrote:
For those planning to interview on-campus and who are not getting a rental car (like me!), I know there are some hotels that have free shuttles to Duke campus. One of them is the Hilton, but I'm sure there are more.

The Washington Duke Inn (WaDuke) is actually on-campus and right down the street from Fuqua; it's on the pricier side though.

To all those that DO NOT plan on getting a rental car, please remember that that taxicabs from RDU to your hotel (if your hotel does not provide a shuttle) run about 30-40 bucks! And that is each way!

Also, be sure to double check where the hotel shuttles drop you off on the Duke Campus. The campus is HUGE (I gave myself a self-guided tour and regretted not wearing more comfortable shoes) so the dropoff point might not be close to the Fuqua campus. You're going to be in a suit (they say business casual for the interview but everyone I've ever seen interview comes suited) so please consider if you want to be walking around like that around the campus.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
jontron wrote:
aerien wrote:

To all those that DO NOT plan on getting a rental car, please remember that that taxicabs from RDU to your hotel (if your hotel does not provide a shuttle) run about 30-40 bucks! And that is each way!

Also, be sure to double check where the hotel shuttles drop you off on the Duke Campus. The campus is HUGE (I gave myself a self-guided tour and regretted not wearing more comfortable shoes) so the dropoff point might not be close to the Fuqua campus. You're going to be in a suit (they say business casual for the interview but everyone I've ever seen interview comes suited) so please consider if you want to be walking around like that around the campus.

Good point -- if you're taking a hotel/airport shuttle, try to get dropped off on West Campus (where Fuqua is). If you get dropped off on East Campus, there are Duke University shuttles that go through campus with various stopping points -- be sure to get on the right one though!

Cabs directly to campus are about $30 as well. The benefit there being you can tell them to take you to West Campus/Fuqua and most cab drivers know where that is, or they'll at least get you to the right section of campus. Landmarks: Fuqua is right next to the Law School and across the street from the School of Public Policy. If you see those signs, you know you're in the right place!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post! Was invited to interview for R1 and will be going to Durham to do so!

I agree that travel/hotels are tricky for this area. Rental cars from the airport look cheap right now, ~$50.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
obviouslynot wrote:
I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post! Was invited to interview for R1 and will be going to Durham to do so!

I agree that travel/hotels are tricky for this area. Rental cars from the airport look cheap right now, ~$50.

Congrats ~ I found Research Triangle to be a pretty gorgeous place
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Californian here. Interviewing in San Francisco next Sat.

Is there a disadvantage (from admissions perspective) of interviewing off campus?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
jontron wrote:
threestripes wrote:

If the "interview" took place in one of the small rooms in or a floor above the Admissions Lounge, then that is your actual interview.

Big win tonight against Ohio State! Let's go Duke!

ThreeStripes! I need to give you a shoutout and thank you! I was a 2012 applicant and followed/researched your Waitlist thread like a hawk when I was placed on the waitlist for the Class of 2014. Your story and lesson of how to not to give up when you KNOW that Duke was the place for you really resonated with me. I was on the waitlist until summer, applied again EA this year and got in..just like you. Your story was my story man! Your posts are always helpful and positive, a great representation of Team Fuqua in action. We definitely have to meet up during BDW this year!

Thanks, man! Glad my story helped. Shoot me a message before BDW so we can meet up. Congrats again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hey guys just a bit of advice to those interviewing. I interviewed during the open interview period and had a rental car. I stayed at La Quinta Inn around the airport. My interview was on a Friday, but in my mind it was Saturday (ha weekdays are only for work I guess) so I failed to take into account that there might be traffic going to campus. So if you are staying at airport during the week, I would factor in traffic, wasn't too bad, maybe only 10-15 mins, but every min counts when you are going to something as important as an interview. Then when I got to campus, the visitor lot for Fuqua was closed for an event. Well I drove around looking for any other lot to park temporarily and they were all closed for events! Not sure if this was just horrible bad luck, but I ended up having to park 1/4 mile from the building and running to admissions...in my lady shoes, not comfortable...was 10 mins late and sweating profusely. Not the best first impression, but they were very nice about it! Anyways, just figured I'd let you know to make sure to leave ample time for traffic/parking related issues that might come up.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
Hey guys just a bit of advice to those interviewing. I interviewed during the open interview period and had a rental car. I stayed at La Quinta Inn around the airport. My interview was on a Friday, but in my mind it was Saturday (ha weekdays are only for work I guess) so I failed to take into account that there might be traffic going to campus. So if you are staying at airport during the week, I would factor in traffic, wasn't too bad, maybe only 10-15 mins, but every min counts when you are going to something as important as an interview. Then when I got to campus, the visitor lot for Fuqua was closed for an event. Well I drove around looking for any other lot to park temporarily and they were all closed for events! Not sure if this was just horrible bad luck, but I ended up having to park 1/4 mile from the building and running to admissions...in my lady shoes, not comfortable...was 10 mins late and sweating profusely. Not the best first impression, but they were very nice about it! Anyways, just figured I'd let you know to make sure to leave ample time for traffic/parking related issues that might come up.

Good luck!

Great point!

Yes, there is a parking lot for interviewees near the Fuqua building but don't count on it being available since it was always full when I went. Again, Duke is a big campus with tons of events going on at all times so parking can get a bit hectic with certain parking lots on the map completely unavailable when they are reserved for said events. Please factor that in when you plan your schedule.

If you arrive early, you can always grab a coffee from Fox Center or just hang out in the student lounge. There are first-year students that are there as lounge hosts and will chat with everyone, it was one of the clearest ways that you can witness Team Fuqua in action. For those that are work up a bit of sweat before the interview, there are restrooms on the first and second floors near the interview offices. I interviewed in September and it was still a little humid so those restrooms were a life saver! :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
jontron wrote:
Dakells wrote:

Good luck!

Great point!

Yes, there is a parking lot for interviewees near the Fuqua building but don't count on it being available since it was always full when I went. Again, Duke is a big campus with tons of events going on at all times so parking can get a bit hectic with certain parking lots on the map completely unavailable when they are reserved for said events. Please factor that in when you plan your schedule.

If you arrive early, you can always grab a coffee from Fox Center or just hang out in the student lounge. There are first-year students that are there as lounge hosts and will chat with everyone, it was one of the clearest ways that you can witness Team Fuqua in action. For those that are work up a bit of sweat before the interview, there are restrooms on the first and second floors near the interview offices. I interviewed in September and it was still a little humid so those restrooms were a life saver! :lol:

That parking lot was also full when I went! Such a pain trying to figure out which side street to park on! :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts