Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
I am quite sure everyone was intended to get it. I am an EA international with a self-initiated interview, and so I was most definitely not shortlisted for an interview. The message in that email is very clear:

1. Giving the option to EA applicants to reassess what EA means and its 'binding' nature monetarily and otherwise.
2. Giving them a previously unknown(?) option to be move to R1 assessments if they do not agree with the binding nature.

There is no reason to indicate that they have decided who are EA admits based on this. In fact it may indicate that they will only make the actual decisions after they filter out those EAs who opt to move to R1 (From Oct 26th to Oct 30th). Its tough for adcom really. They have this week to do all that and attempt to overlay R1 applicant caliber with the EA pool.
I'm not even sure they will/can realistically do that, but they do have the opportunity! Exciting!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
Would people who got in mind sharing their profiles?

27M re-applicant from Canada
730 (Q48, V42) GMAT
3.0 engineering GPA that made applications very difficult
4.5 experience in marketing (5.5 at matriculation)

Want to say congrats to all the admits!

And wanted to say good luck to everyone who didn't get the news they wanted today. Last year, when I got WL'ed in R2 and subsequently dinged things seemed pretty grim. I took a lot of inspiration from threestripes epic thread to help me through the journey. I hope good news is on the way soon!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
vkmt wrote:
Hi,

I got wait-listed without interview. Does Fuqua ask you for any essays while wait-listed or do they give you any opportunity to actively influence your wait-list status?

Brief profile:
International student - Indian
GMAT - 740
Undergrad - Engineering.Different system of gradation but translates to around 3.33
W.E. - 4 years in Technology (programmer) and Consulting (tech)

read the FAQ provided by the adcom. Fuqua welcomes additional information so by all means try to get additional letter of recs/essays to bolster your chances :-D
Board of Directors
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Link updated in the previous post -- permalinks direct you to where the post is on a page in the thread; they do not link you to a new page with the one specific post on it.

I hope jumsumtak answered your question concisely enough :)

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Aximili85 wrote:
hi all, do you know when Duke starts interview calls for R1 applicants?

Everything's released on the 28th
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Dakells wrote:
anonymous2012 wrote:
ctgmat123 wrote:
My application was submitted for round 1. I also interviewed at Fuqua prior to this during the open interview season. Given that, I suspect I won't hear anything until decision day. There aren't any other notifications prior to that are there?

Same boat, I think it's just a loooong wait!

I'm with you guys! I just wish they could tell us before my holiday vacation. I would rather be elated or be depressed but at least have the vacation to make it better than have the nervous anticipation!

I'm with ya ctgmat123, anonymous2012, Dakells, and any other fellow R1 applicants for Fuqua. I also interviewed during the open interview season.
Duke is the first business school application that I was completely 100% done with and now it's simply in the hands of the admissions committee.
January 8th is d-day right? Can't come soon enough!!!

Honestly, I'm just trying to stay positive. Anytime I start to feel the nerves or impending feelings of doom of rejection, I go back and re-read my essay Why Duke? and I start nodding vigorously, convincing myself no adcom member reading this could not give me a chance. (ha! wishful thinking.. :) )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
Invited, good luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
invited! I am so excited!
Good luck to many whom have been invited!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Aximili85 wrote:
jontron wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi all, had a question. I haven't received an email update, and my online "Submission status" is still just "Submitted".
The East Coast day is over. Should I write them an email, or call them tomorrow morning to check? I had met R1 deadline.

Would appreciate the advice.

did your recommenders submit everything on time?

Hey Jontron, yes both recommenders submitted a day before the deadline, and I received the confirmation email for meeting Round 1.
My other friend was hypothesizing that during my campus visit before Round 1, they had conducted an "interview" with a 2nd year student, and that that might be counting that as the formal replacement for the actual interview. Is that the case?

Sounds odd as I wasn't suited or booted thinking it was an informal interview.

It sounds like that "interview" was your actual one. If you still have the contact information of that 2nd year student, you can email them and see if they submitted an interview report for your conversation. If they did, that is probably the answer to your mystery since all on-campus interviews (during open period and during normal rounds) are conducted by second-year students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
threestripes wrote:

If the "interview" took place in one of the small rooms in or a floor above the Admissions Lounge, then that is your actual interview.

Big win tonight against Ohio State! Let's go Duke!

ThreeStripes! I need to give you a shoutout and thank you! I was a 2012 applicant and followed/researched your Waitlist thread like a hawk when I was placed on the waitlist for the Class of 2014. Your story and lesson of how to not to give up when you KNOW that Duke was the place for you really resonated with me. I was on the waitlist until summer, applied again EA this year and got in..just like you. Your story was my story man! Your posts are always helpful and positive, a great representation of Team Fuqua in action. We definitely have to meet up during BDW this year!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Moki, check this website out: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/

It shows that the list of Information Sessions that you can attend. For West Coast applicants, this is a more practical way of signaling interest than flying across the country (although it was worth every penny when I made the two trips). It shows that Dec. 10 is the closest one in SF but still, I'm not sure how practical it is. The thing is, RSVPing for the event and attending gets you a discounted application fee (it was $100 off last year, didnt get the discount when I re-applied). More proof that Duke is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to encouraging applicants to experience Team Fuqua!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
esport12 wrote:
So I'm interviewing next Monday. Can anyone really settle this whole suit versus business casual debate? For some reason, this is weighing on me, but I know it probably shouldn't.

You aren't going to get dinged if you wear business casual and you aren't guaranteed admission if you wear a suit. Wear whichever makes you comfortable. If a suit will allow your real personality to come out then certainly wear that, vice versa.

For me, this was a business school interview and I dressed in a suit because it made me most comfortable. At the end of the day, the best tip I've come across was "You want to be remembered for what you say and how you conduct yourself, not by what you wear." I think that saying holds true for both suit and business casual.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
esport12 wrote:
So I'm interviewing next Monday. Can anyone really settle this whole suit versus business casual debate? For some reason, this is weighing on me, but I know it probably shouldn't.

Check out my post on the previous page. In short, go with your gut.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
highwyre237 wrote:
Aww, I just noticed Duke has a home game sat afternoon... but they're playing it in Jersey, boooo. Ah well, atleast parking will be a bit better...

Doesn't that mean it's an away game? :P Nevertheless, hope your interview went well today!
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
bond007 wrote:
hselika wrote:
I know I am obsessing even more. But last year's interview invite rate was 55% and selectivity was 27%. Even if we were to assume that around 20 of this 55 interviewed inte open season, it shouldn't affect the statistical spread. Therefore can we assume that those interviewed now have a 50-50 chance of being accepted?

A friend of mine overheard a 2nd year saying that some of the open interview candidates are less competitive than the invited candidates, so maybe the chances of acceptance are slightly better than 50%..

That would make sense. Man I wish decision day was a bit closer, the wait is going to be excruciating
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Dakells wrote:
Ever since some schools have started releasing decisions it's like I've become a decision junkie and I need to find a decision fix. Yesterday I was trolling the Booth page, I didn't even consider applying to Booth! I have no clue how I will handle waiting three more weeks for Duke! Granted the holidays will definitely help, but it seems so far away! Ha, so sad.

I've already paid my deposit to Duke and I still troll other pages on admission days...the decision anxiety still haunts me!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
As the holidays are just around the corner, if you need any last minute gift ideas take a look at the latest blog post from Fuqua:
https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/dd ... NRw5BrCtJc

Quite possibly one of the best posts I've read in awhile. Enjoy! :P

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts