GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 13 Jul 2020, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

delete posts

new topic post reply Update application status  

Duke Fuqua (full tuition) vs Stanford GSB (no $)

• 10% [1]
  • 10% [1]
  • 40% [4]
  • 40% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
delete posts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jun 2019, 07:49
:)

Originally posted by ywang14 on 19 Apr 2019, 09:18.
Last edited by ywang14 on 19 Jun 2019, 07:49, edited 11 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: delete posts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 09:36
bb

Do you have any insights on this?:)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 09:38
Hi! Congratulations on your admits! Is it Fuqua FT Program or one of the other ones such as EMBA/CCMBA/etc?

What is the PhD in if you don't mind me asking? Is it from Duke as well? or another program?

I see Fuqua you mentioned you got a 50% scholarship?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

:)

Originally posted by ywang14 on 19 Apr 2019, 09:46.
Last edited by ywang14 on 19 Jun 2019, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 10:23
This will ramble a bit so I warn you ahead of time but as a PhD candidate you should be no stranger to reading long rambling papers without a clear conclusion ;-)

1. Stanford MSx is a very exclusive program designed specifically for more mature and seasoned and accomplished candidates. The reason it is one year is that most people at this stage in their lives don't have the 2 years to take off but they can pull off 10 months.

2. It was known as the Sloan program and I am a bit biased as I got a tour of the campus and a bit of inside scoop by one of the alums - he was the nicest guy, a friend of a friend, and made a lasting impression on me. He was very proud of the program and was involved in the alum network, and in promoting the program. He was a Palo Alto VC guy who apparently also made a lasting impression on one of the members who was choosing MSx vs. Insead a years ago https://gmatclub.com/forum/insead-vs-st ... 45636.html - you may want to reach out karroty or other students/alums to get an idea of what's behind the curtain.

3. Your only and best chance at VC is Stanford. That door won't open at Fuqua

4. Your demographics/age/position in life is probably more aligned with the Stanford program and you would fit better with other students as well as with their career plans and recruiting as well. As none of you will be looking for a jr. associate position. Moreover, MSx is the old program for tired VC's who wanted to take a year break and get more theoretical so the contacts and networking that the program will offer (just by interacting with fellow "students" will be far beyond what you will find at Fuqua FT that has a different focus and purpose)

5. I suspect you will have a bit of a harder time recruiting for Internships and FT positions with your experience and may be considered over-qualified. Though at the same time, recruiters may love you since you will stand out. Hard to tell but there are certain positions they all try to fill with on-campus recruiting.

6. Being in Palo Alto makes a world of difference for VC recruiting as a lot of it is networking

7. While you are changing industries and trying to break into business, I feel doing a 2-year program with an internship is still not the best thing (I would have recommended it to a younger applicant without much experience). My main reasons for not recommending it to you is that you won't score a VC internship without prior VC experience and the consulting/other opportunities you will run into at Fuqua will be targetted towards less experienced folks with many of your managers being younger and less qualified than you, thus not really know how to handle the situation.

I would recommend connecting with some of the MSx students and get a sense what they would feel your situation will be next year. How will it feel to recruit without an internship and change industries?

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

bb wrote:
This will ramble a bit so I warn you ahead of time but as a PhD candidate you should be no stranger to reading long rambling papers without a clear conclusion ;-)

1. Stanford MSx is a very exclusive program designed specifically for more mature and seasoned and accomplished candidates. The reason it is one year is that most people at this stage in their lives don't have the 2 years to take off but they can pull off 10 months.

2. It was known as the Sloan program and I am a bit biased as I got a tour of the campus and a bit of inside scoop by one of the alums - he was the nicest guy, a friend of a friend, and made a lasting impression on me. He was very proud of the program and was involved in the alum network, and in promoting the program. He was a Palo Alto VC guy who apparently also made a lasting impression on one of the members who was choosing MSx vs. Insead a years ago https://gmatclub.com/forum/insead-vs-st ... 45636.html - you may want to reach out karroty or other students/alums to get an idea of what's behind the curtain.

3. Your only and best chance at VC is Stanford. That door won't open at Fuqua

4. Your demographics/age/position in life is probably more aligned with the Stanford program and you would fit better with other students as well as with their career plans and recruiting as well. As none of you will be looking for a jr. associate position. Moreover, MSx is the old program for tired VC's who wanted to take a year break and get more theoretical so the contacts and networking that the program will offer (just by interacting with fellow "students" will be far beyond what you will find at Fuqua FT that has a different focus and purpose)

5. I suspect you will have a bit of a harder time recruiting for Internships and FT positions with your experience and may be considered over-qualified. Though at the same time, recruiters may love you since you will stand out. Hard to tell but there are certain positions they all try to fill with on-campus recruiting.

6. Being in Palo Alto makes a world of difference for VC recruiting as a lot of it is networking

7. While you are changing industries and trying to break into business, I feel doing a 2-year program with an internship is still not the best thing (I would have recommended it to a younger applicant without much experience). My main reasons for not recommending it to you is that you won't score a VC internship without prior VC experience and the consulting/other opportunities you will run into at Fuqua will be targetted towards less experienced folks with many of your managers being younger and less qualified than you, thus not really know how to handle the situation.

I would recommend connecting with some of the MSx students and get a sense what they would feel your situation will be next year. How will it feel to recruit without an internship and change industries?

Originally posted by ywang14 on 19 Apr 2019, 10:32.
Last edited by ywang14 on 19 Jun 2019, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 10:45
Great that you have done the legwork and the research talking to alums, students, and recruiters.

I guess it comes to your sense and feel and what you are more comfortable with. I am feeling there is something that draws you to the 2-year program at Fuqua. Is it the extra internship opportunity? Or is it a scholarship?

Fuqua and MSx are both great opportunities and your life will work out regardless of the path you take ;-) but it is really what you comfortable with and how confident you are in yourself and what you feel matters. Yes, an internsihp at Fuqua potentially gives you a fail option and an opportunity to test waters at Consulting but I don't see taking an entry level MBA consulting position as a leap forward and rather as a back up plan but it seems you are focusing more on the back up plan rather than on the goal. Am I wrong? VC does take a leap of faith. It is harder to break into and not guaranteed but MSx gives you the best chance of any but you seem to be backing away from it... just an impression, which is totally fine. I have gotten a lot more risk averse after getting kids and getting married. It is more than just my butt that's on the line. If you do have a significant other, do discuss it with them (a whole other side to school picking).

From what I can glean from your details, makes me more comfortable with MSx, not less since you do have VC experience and a strong story.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jun 2019, 07:50
bb wrote:
Great that you have done the legwork and the research talking to alums, students, and recruiters.

I guess it comes to your sense and feel and what you are more comfortable with. I am feeling there is something that draws you to the 2-year program at Fuqua. Is it the extra internship opportunity? Or is it a scholarship?

Fuqua and MSx are both great opportunities and your life will work out regardless of the path you take ;-) but it is really what you comfortable with and how confident you are in yourself and what you feel matters. Yes, an internsihp at Fuqua potentially gives you a fail option and an opportunity to test waters at Consulting but I don't see taking an entry level MBA consulting position as a leap forward and rather as a back up plan but it seems you are focusing more on the back up plan rather than on the goal. Am I wrong? VC does take a leap of faith. It is harder to break into and not guaranteed but MSx gives you the best chance of any but you seem to be backing away from it... just an impression, which is totally fine. I have gotten a lot more risk averse after getting kids and getting married. It is more than just my butt that's on the line. If you do have a significant other, do discuss it with them (a whole other side to school picking).

From what I can glean from your details, makes me more comfortable with MSx, not less since you do have VC experience and a strong story.

Originally posted by ywang14 on 17 May 2019, 12:35.
Last edited by ywang14 on 19 Jun 2019, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 16:11
Congrats on your amazing offer and opportunity. Really amazing story and turn!

Remembering the sensitivity around $$$, I feel Fuqua with a scholarship will be a better personal choice for you.

At the same time, a lot of the people I know would have a hard time walking away from Stanford’s admit. You can’t really get any better degree than a Stanford MBA and esp with your focus on VC, which is right there in Palo Alto.

At the same time it’s the lowest cost and extremely safe option to go to Fuquay will definitely give you access to consulting and other MBA opportunities to recoup income loss during the two years.

PS. I was not as practical as you are, so back in my days, I would have thrown caution to the wind and said hell with it and went to Stanford. Of course I was young, naïve and inexperienced :-)

Posted from my mobile device

GMAT Club Bot
Re: delete posts   [#permalink] 17 May 2019, 16:11

delete posts

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate