GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Duke MQM vs. WashU MBA (Full Ride) vs. Rice MBA (75% scholarship)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Duke MQM vs. WashU MBA (Full Ride) vs. Rice MBA (75% scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2020, 07:53
Hello everyone:), I'm super conflicted between those three. I'm indecisive by nature, and I don't know many people who have any real knowledge about b school.
I have gone through the whole application process by myself. I would really appreciate any input, advice, or information at all.

A little about me:
-International student
-24, almost 25
-Some experience (albeit limited) in marketing, most experiences post-undergrad working in the music industry

Career Plan:
-Marketing Analysis/Insight, hopefully, OPT in the US, have no plan in staying for longer yet

I plan to do both MBA and MSBA/MQM so I can finish all the school stuff in 3 years.
So my first question: MBA first or MSBA/MQM first?

From my research, I got the impression that it is better to do MBA first then MSBA/MQM, even though the average age is higher for MBA and lower for MSBA/MQM, any opinions regarding that?

Should I just go for an MBA degree first, and apply for MSBA end of next year?
(Concern: However, Duke is my top choice, and overall a better school in every aspect, no doubt. I would most likely apply for MQM at Duke again, but I don't know if it is likely that they would admit me again, I might regret this decision if I was rejected the next time I applied) (Should I send an email or something to explain if I reject the offer this year?)

Or should I go for Duke now, and apply for an MBA end of this year maybe even a Fuqua MBA (is it more likely to be admitted for another program at your own school)?
(Concern 1: MQM is more closely related to the technical aspect of the job and is more likely to change than the MBA courses. So the things I learn this year might be outdated when I go find a job 3 years down the line)
(Concern 2: But I have pretty good scholarships and both Rice and WashU have good bschool and are top20 uni on QS, and Uni ranking is more important than bschool ranking in my country)
(Concern 3: If I already have a Duke MQM, for MBA between 0$ at Fuqua and $$$/$$$$ Rice/WashU, I would choose the later)

Then the next question, Wash U Olin or Rice Jones?

Marketing and Analysis (Curriculum): Olin > Jones
(Olin is better and more experienced for Marketing and Analysis, with a more structured program. And I'll have backup plans since its MBA is STEM optional, and there is a dual degree option with MSBA for an additional term)
(but I heard from the program that Jones is planning on adding more analysis classes, and I would pursue an MSBA anyway)

Location: Jones > Olin (Houston seems to be a better and a more lively place to live, finding internships, etc.)

Reputation: =? depends on the person I asked the answer is different every time

Alumni: =? Rice has a smaller alumni network but a tighter community I think

Please, Please, Please leave any comments or advice for me. I really appreciate it :heart !
Thank you!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
S
Re: Duke MQM vs. WashU MBA (Full Ride) vs. Rice MBA (75% scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2020, 16:23
Congrats on your admits!

If you have little experience then I would not recommend an MBA currently. I think you would find more value in an MBA when you have 3+ years of full-time work experience.

The MQM program at Fuqua is definitely an analytical degree but it is a 10 month degree program. You will get out in the workforce quickly and that is where you will do a lot of learning as well.

I am a member of the inaugural incoming Master of Science in Quantitative Management cohort at Fuqua so I may be slightly biased. I would recommend #TeamFuqua!

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.11
Re: Duke MQM vs. WashU MBA (Full Ride) vs. Rice MBA (75% scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2020, 17:37
IMO, the value you'd like to extract from an MBA will grow exponentially the more real world experience you have when you show up.

IMO ... Duke degree now ... 2-3 years experience knocking out out of the park ... then check back in asking us if you should accept the scholarship to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Sloan or Kellogg.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 10:09
FinanceMan Thank you so much for your kind advice and congrats on your admits as well! You made some really valid points!! I literally have no one around me who knows even a little bit about business stuff or graduate schools. It's very nice to chat about it here with you.

Just to clarify, I currently have around 6 months of full-time experience in marketing for a brand, and 1.5 years for my job in the music industry. So for business/marketing, it is really not a lot. Because I'm an international student who is planning on going back home to work eventually, I was thinking of spending around 4 years in the US doing both MQM and MBA with a year of OTP in between or afterward. At most I would have 1 more year of professional experiences before MBA. That's mostly why I was indecisive about which program I should go for first.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 10:51
CCGardel wrote:
FinanceMan Thank you so much for your kind advice and congrats on your admits as well! You made some really valid points!! I literally have no one around me who knows even a little bit about business stuff or graduate schools. It's very nice to chat about it here with you.

Just to clarify, I currently have around 6 months of full-time experience in marketing for a brand, and 1.5 years for my job in the music industry. So for business/marketing, it is really not a lot. Because I'm an international student who is planning on going back home to work eventually, I was thinking of spending around 4 years in the US doing both MQM and MBA with a year of OTP in between or afterward. At most I would have 1 more year of professional experiences before MBA. That's mostly why I was indecisive about which program I should go for first.

Your MBA experience will be so much richer with whatever additional professional experience you can get before you matriculate.

Plus ... having Duke on your resume should increase the odds of getting into and getting $$ from an even more highly regarded MBA program in a couple of years.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 11:38
Regenerate Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your advice! And I actually took a lot of encouragement from reading your first reply. Which is why it took me a bit longer to reply to you. And just before I clicked submit, you gave me another amazing comment that also cheered me up! You are so wonderful!

TBH I didn't expect to be admitted to half of the school I got admitted to, including the three I'm considering, much less with scholarships. Like, when I applied to Duke, the process of writing essays alone felt like fulfilling a childhood dream. It's still not feeling very real to me now actually...
Anyway, in my head and heart, I know that Duke is a better school, honestly, it's just intimidating to think about rejecting that much scholarship from good schools, especially when I would really rely on scholarships to put me through MBA either immediately or a year after I graduate from Duke.

I kind of have to return home in around 4 years. I have a lot of responsibilities to take care and physically be there for my family (mom, grandparents, etc.) I kind of put on myself. I felt guilty enough to pursue my own dreams by going to undergrad and now graduate programs in the states. So 1 year in between or after MQM and MBA is the most I could do for now.

Hopefully like you said, with a Duke degree, I would have access to more and better opportunities when I apply for MBA programs. (and also $$ haha)

In your opinion, do you think I should apply for an MBA while at Duke (so the end of this year) along with finding internships for post-MQM for more options?
Also, because I had paid for both deposits, should I try to email both rice and wash u to tell them I got admitted and would like go to Duke this year and see if they would defer the offer and scholarship to next year? Since technically MQM and MBA are complementary?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 12:07
CCGardel wrote:
Regenerate Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your advice! And I actually took a lot of encouragement from reading your first reply. Which is why it took me a bit longer to reply to you. And just before I clicked submit, you gave me another amazing comment that also cheered me up! You are so wonderful!

TBH I didn't expect to be admitted to half of the school I got admitted to, including the three I'm considering, much less with scholarships. Like, when I applied to Duke, the process of writing essays alone felt like fulfilling a childhood dream. It's still not feeling very real to me now actually...
Anyway, in my head and heart, I know that Duke is a better school, honestly, it's just intimidating to think about rejecting that much scholarship from good schools, especially when I would really rely on scholarships to put me through MBA either immediately or a year after I graduate from Duke.

I kind of have to return home in around 4 years. I have a lot of responsibilities to take care and physically be there for my family (mom, grandparents, etc.) I kind of put on myself. I felt guilty enough to pursue my own dreams by going to undergrad and now graduate programs in the states. So 1 year in between or after MQM and MBA is the most I could do for now.

Hopefully like you said, with a Duke degree, I would have access to more and better opportunities when I apply for MBA programs. (and also $$ haha)

In your opinion, do you think I should apply for an MBA while at Duke (so the end of this year) along with finding internships for post-MQM for more options?
Also, because I had paid for both deposits, should I try to email both rice and wash u to tell them I got admitted and would like go to Duke this year and see if they would defer the offer and scholarship to next year? Since technically MQM and MBA are complementary?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

You're welcome.

If I'm in your shoes, I do the following:

1) If, and only if, you were admitted to Duke AFTER Rice and / or Washington, I'd ask Duke if they could give you a scholarship at least big enough to offset your deposits at Rice and Wash U. Do this before you go to #2 below.

2) Ask both Rice and Wash U for a deferral so long as you could keep your scholarships. If they won't hold the offer AND scholarship, don't sweat it. If they do, great.

Good luck.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 12:22
Duke actually has an accelerated MBA pathway for candidates with a "Master in Management or equivalent from an accredited graduate business school". I would check in with them to see if the MQM would qualify as an equivalent. If so, this is potentially the strongest move in terms of saving time and money while still getting a solid education. The 1Y MBA at Kellogg is another option if you decide to do the MQM and want to diversify your network. This is all under the assumption you will land in your desired industry post MQM. Otherwise, 1Y options are generally not as effective if you hope to make big career changes due to no summer internship.
Rice (Jones) School Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 16:02
Congratulations!. Duke is the most prestigious of the schools so it all depends on how risk-averse you are. I was once an international student and glad I didn't have to take any student loans to school. If you are okay with student loans, then Duke is the winner, otherwise, go to the school that offers the most money.

Best wishes!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Duke MQM vs. WashU MBA (Full Ride) vs. Rice MBA (75% scholarship)   [#permalink] 02 May 2020, 16:02

Duke MQM vs. WashU MBA (Full Ride) vs. Rice MBA (75% scholarship)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate