GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Posts: 281
GMAT ToolKit User
During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Oct 2013, 03:42
3
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:14) correct 38% (02:03) wrong based on 302 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average (arithmetic mean) number of books that Carolyn read per week greater than the average number of books that Jacob read per week?

(1) Twice the average number of books that Carolyn read per week was greater than 5 less than twice the average number of books that Jacob read per week.

(2) During the last 5 weeks of the vacation, Carolyn read a total of 3 books more than Jacob.

Originally posted by vaivish1723 on 22 Jan 2010, 23:27.
Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Oct 2013, 03:42, edited 2 times in total.
OA edited.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51218
Re: inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2010, 00:27
4
4
vaivish1723 wrote:
During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average (arithmetic mean) number of books that Carolyn read per week greater than the average number of books that Jacob
read per week?
(1) Twice the average number of books that Carolyn read per week was greater
than 5 less than twice the average number of books that Jacob read per week.
(2) During the last 5 weeks of the vacation, Carolyn read a total of 3 books more
than Jacob.

Oa is .

Please explain.


Let \(c\) be the average # of books that Carolyn read per week;
Let \(j\) be the average # of books that Jacob read per week;

Question is c>j?

(1) \(2c>2j-5\), if \(c=10<j=11\) --> \(2*10=20>2*11-5=17\) BUT if \(c=10>j=5\) --> \(2*10=20>2*5-5=5\), two different answers. Not sufficient.

(2) Clearly insufficient. In the second half of the 10 week period, Carolyn read 3 books more than Jacob. So her average for the second half will be greater than Jacob's, but we know nothing about the first half.

(1)+(2) Combined two statements also not sufficient to determine whether c>j.

Answer: E.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 339
Re: During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2012, 03:56
Bunuel..it is necessary to try with num..

i have done lyk this..take C as the average of carolyn and J as the avg of jacob..

2c>2j-5
2j-2c<5

(J-C)<5/2..

so we dont knw its positive or negative..if its positive that means J avg is more than carolyn and vice versa..

Statement 2 is insufficient..

both are still insufficient to give the ans ..

So e..
_________________

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51218
Re: During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2012, 04:47
sanjoo wrote:
Bunuel..it is necessary to try with num..

i have done lyk this..take C as the average of carolyn and J as the avg of jacob..

2c>2j-5
2j-2c<5

(J-C)<5/2..

so we dont knw its positive or negative..if its positive that means J avg is more than carolyn and vice versa..

Statement 2 is insufficient..

both are still insufficient to give the ans ..

So e..


Yes, you can do this way as well.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 178
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: inequality  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 03:36
Bunuel wrote:
vaivish1723 wrote:
During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average (arithmetic mean) number of books that Carolyn read per week greater than the average number of books that Jacob
read per week?
(1) Twice the average number of books that Carolyn read per week was greater
than 5 less than twice the average number of books that Jacob read per week.
(2) During the last 5 weeks of the vacation, Carolyn read a total of 3 books more
than Jacob.

Oa is .

Please explain.


Let \(c\) be the average # of books that Carolyn read per week;
Let \(j\) be the average # of books that Jacob read per week;

Question is c>j?

(1) \(2c>2j-5\), if \(c=10<j=11\) --> \(2*10=20>2*11-5=17\) BUT if \(c=10>j=5\) --> \(2*10=20>2*5-5=5\), two different answers. Not sufficient.

(2) Clearly insufficient. In the second half of the 10 week period, Carolyn read 3 books more than Jacob. So her average for the second half will be greater than Jacob's, but we know nothing about the first half.

(1)+(2) Combined two statements also not sufficient to determine whether c>j.

Answer: E.


Bunuel, answer is seen in "edit" in the first post, kind of destroys the purpose of 'spoiler', could you please edit it out?
_________________

Stay positive! ^.^


My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2618
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2016, 17:37
vaivish1723 wrote:
During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average (arithmetic mean) number of books that Carolyn read per week greater than the average number of books that Jacob read per week?

(1) Twice the average number of books that Carolyn read per week was greater than 5 less than twice the average number of books that Jacob read per week.

(2) During the last 5 weeks of the vacation, Carolyn read a total of 3 books more than Jacob.


my approach to prove that A, B, and C are not sufficient.

1. suppose average for C is 4, and so is for J.
2x4=8
2x4 - 5 = 3
so A for C > than A for J.

but it can be that A read 5/week and J read 4/week
10>3 true again, but values differ.

A and D are out

2. clearly insufficient.
B is out.

1+2
40 total books
C in first 5 weeks read 40/2 -3 = 17 books, and 23 in last 5 weeks
J on the contrary read 20 books in the first 5 weeks, and 20 in the last 5 weeks.
satisfies both 1 and 2, but averages are equal

now.
suppose C=5books/week = 50 books total
J = 4books/week = 40 total
C during first 5 weeks read 46 books, and 4 in the last 5 weeks
J read 39 in the first 5 weeks, and 1 in the last 5 weeks.
again, satisfies both conditions from 1 and 2..
2 outcomes - C is out
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9172
Premium Member
Re: During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 02:12
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average &nbs [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 02:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

During a 10-week summer vacation, was the average

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.