Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [58]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [28]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on ca [#permalink]
Kudos
I have really trouble with these kind of questions.

How should I attack these kind of questions? Consideration, Judgment, strategy and etc... So difficult to figure the answer out in 2 min.

I get confused! :twisted:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on ca [#permalink]
Bookmarks
[quote="zoltan"]I have really trouble with these kind of questions.

How should I attack these kind of questions? Consideration, Judgment, strategy and etc... So difficult to figure the answer out in 2 min.

I get confused! :twisted:[/quote

Thats teh whole purpose of this thread. For bold face CRs thi sis teh strategy I use:
1. I pick one of the bold statements- Usually the one I understand clearly.
2. I go through the answers choices and eliminate choices which donot adhere to the statement. For example the statement could serve as an evidence, assumption or conclusion in the argument. I use this knowledge as the basis to eliminate answer choices.
3. I repeat step 2 with other statement.

Most of the times this approach works for me.

Gmatnub, Sinha, sondeso...do you guys want to explain your approach too?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
Tricky question. I would opt A, though some other options also looks quite tempting.

The argument is talking about two strategies to reduce the payout:
1st, by changing the car-theft policies, which is not possible
2nd, by encouraging policyholders to install anti-theft device
Based on this the argument is giving the conclusion to opt for 2nd strategy.

Please note, this is not the main conclusion. Rather the main conclusion is in the last line "Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts."

A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses. -Correct
B. The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that conclusion. -First is not a judgment to support 2nd, rather both are different strategies.
C. The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy
for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy. -Both are different strategies, without any relation.
D. The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a
goal; the second reports a decision to pursue an alternative goal. -Both are different strategies, without any relation.
E. The first is a consideration offered against adopting a certain strategy for
achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking
to establish. -2nd is a sub-conclusion, and not the main conclusion. Rather the main conclusion is in the last line.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Pro-Tect cannot reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, so cannot protect itself against continued large
payouts that way.

Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of
car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices

A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the
strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.

C. The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy
for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.

Between A and C. I would go for C.
If Blue+Red was boldfaced, I would have chosen A. Because, then it 'rules out' the strategy.

Since it is not the case, first one is only a consideration.
OA pls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Economist wrote:
Pro-Tect cannot reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, so cannot protect itself against continued large
payouts that way.

Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of
car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices

A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the
strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.

for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.

Between A and C. I would go for C.
If Blue+Red was boldfaced, I would have chosen A. Because, then it 'rules out' the strategy.

Since it is not the case, first one is only a consideration.
OA pls.

Brand new here (this forum and the accompnaying community are great BTW) but thought I would chime in. C is wrong because of two words:

1.) "support" - If the "certain strategy" is to reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, the first is then a consideration against adopting that strategy, not in support of it.

2.) "alternative" - Alternatively (no pun intended), if you interpret the first as a consideration in "support" of the "certain strategy" of offering discounts for customers who install anti-theft devices (which, at least to me, seems plausible), then the decision would not be for an alternative strategy.

Hope the questions keep coming - this is great practice.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on car-theft claims were larger than the company can afford to sustain.
(An observation or phenomenon)

Pro-Tect cannot reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, so cannot protect itself against continued large payouts that way.
(a constraint or ruling out a non-pragmatic option)

Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices.
(a stretegy that PT has decided to adopt -> supporting the main conclusion)

Many policyholders will respond to the discount by installing antitheft devices, since the amount of the discount will within two years typically more than cover the cost of installation. ( a prediction that, if true, will support the conclusion . The dependent clause is the justification for the success possibilities of the main conclusion )

Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts.(main conclusion of the argument)

A) Matches the analysis
B) First is not a judgement and second is not a conclusion.
C) First part is correct; second is incorrect as no alternate strategy has been discussed.
D) First part is correct; second is incorrect as argument doesn't discuss "alternate goal".
E) First is a consideration not against any strategy; second is not a conclusion.

Hence A is the correct one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
the second statement says that a co. has decided to do the mentioned step ...thus C clearly mentions this part. while A says taht decision has already been adopted and its effectiveness is being analyzed....a minor but substantial difference between A and C
While the first part of options A and C define the first bold part clearly.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishnu440 wrote:
the second statement says that a co. has decided to do the mentioned step ...thus C clearly mentions this part. while A says taht decision has already been adopted and its effectiveness is being analyzed....a minor but substantial difference between A and C
While the first part of options A and C define the first bold part clearly.

(C) is wrong.

There are two strategies discussed:
Reduce policies
Offer discount

Note that (C) uses "first supports CERTAIN STRATEGY"
Which is this strategy? It supports "offers discount" because it says reducing policies is not possible.

(C) also says "second adopts an alternative strategy"
Now which strategy is this? Second adopts "offers discount" only. It does not adopt an alternative strategy. It adopts the same strategy that first supports.

(A) is correct. Look here: during-the-past-year-pro-tect-insurance-company-s-total-64492.html#p1441546
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I think, A cannot be the right answer for the fact that the Insurance Company has only decided to offer a discount, not yet offered a discount. Option A rather says the company already adopted the strategy; A is certainly wrong! :)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdmurad wrote:
I think, A cannot be the right answer for the fact that the Insurance Company has only decided to offer a discount, not yet offered a discount. Option A rather says the company already adopted the strategy; A is certainly wrong! :)

Deciding a strategy can be considered equivalent to adopting it - what you mean is probably implementation. Option A does not mention that the strategy was implemented, only that it was adopted, and how effective the adoption will be is what the passage assesses. option A is alright.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hm, it seems that the GMAT is obsessed with the Pro-Tect Insurance Company: https://gmatclub.com/forum/pro-tect-ins ... 59429.html. Very similar passage, different question format.

This is a tough question, but I'm wondering where the discrepancies in the OA are coming from. Maybe the GMATPrep software is saying one thing, but a Word or pdf file that's floating around on the internet is saying another? I'm not sure.

In any case... what's going on in this passage, and how can we distinguish between A and C? Well, I always like to start these boldfaced questions by making sense of the structure of the passage. In this case, there's a clear conclusion in the passage, for whatever that's worth:

Quote:
Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts.

The conclusion references Pro-Tect's plan. Great. So what, exactly, is Pro-Tect's plan?

Quote:
Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices

Hm, and that plan happens to be the second boldfaced statement. Cool, now we can compare the second half of (A) and (C). (A) is clear as a bell -- that second boldfaced statement is clearly "the strategy that was adopted" and, based on our glimpse of the conclusion, it is also the strategy "whose effectiveness the argument assesses." (C) isn't terrible, but I'd argue that if we think about the purpose of the passage, the second boldfaced statement is clearly the main strategy being assessed -- not really an "alternative strategy," as (C) suggests.

And what about the first boldfaced statement? Again, (A) is clear as a bell: the statement clearly "rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal." (C) again isn't completely awful, but it's far less connected to the main point of the passage: it's hard to argue that (C) is a "consideration to support adopting a certain strategy," because it doesn't seem to support anything in particular -- it just rules out a different strategy.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Hm, it seems that the GMAT is obsessed with the Pro-Tect Insurance Company: https://gmatclub.com/forum/pro-tect-ins ... 59429.html. Very similar passage, different question format.

This is a tough question, but I'm wondering where the discrepancies in the OA are coming from. Maybe the GMATPrep software is saying one thing, but a Word or pdf file that's floating around on the internet is saying another? I'm not sure.

In any case... what's going on in this passage, and how can we distinguish between A and C? Well, I always like to start these boldfaced questions by making sense of the structure of the passage. In this case, there's a clear conclusion in the passage, for whatever that's worth:

Quote:
Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts.

The conclusion references Pro-Tect's plan. Great. So what, exactly, is Pro-Tect's plan?

Quote:
Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices

Hm, and that plan happens to be the second boldfaced statement. Cool, now we can compare the second half of (A) and (C). (A) is clear as a bell -- that second boldfaced statement is clearly "the strategy that was adopted" and, based on our glimpse of the conclusion, it is also the strategy "whose effectiveness the argument assesses." (C) isn't terrible, but I'd argue that if we think about the purpose of the passage, the second boldfaced statement is clearly the main strategy being assessed -- not really an "alternative strategy," as (C) suggests.

And what about the first boldfaced statement? Again, (A) is clear as a bell: the statement clearly "rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal." (C) again isn't completely awful, but it's far less connected to the main point of the passage: it's hard to argue that (C) is a "consideration to support adopting a certain strategy," because it doesn't seem to support anything in particular -- it just rules out a different strategy.

Dear Charles,

In BF question, there is always terms such as consideration, judgment, evidence...etc. Where is the best source to describe each term and its location (premise or conclusion) inside argument? or what is your best advice to learn those terms?

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM