Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: During the summer of 2002, the Outer Banks suffered a massive toad inf [#permalink]
Bookmarks
carcass wrote:
During the summer of 2002, the Outer Banks suffered a massive toad infestation, discouraging many vacationers from visiting the area.

(A) suffered a massive toad infestation, discouraging

(B) suffered from a massive toad infestation and discouraged

(C) suffered a massive infestation of toads, which discouraged

(D) was suffering a massive infestation of toads and discouraging

(E) had suffered from a massive toad infestation and this discouraged

Let analyze the answers:
(A) suffered a massive toad infestation, discouraging--- What is discouraging the vacationers to visit the area? "Discouraging" is modifying the precedent clause: "the Outer Banks [u]suffered a massive toad infestation". So that the Outer Banks suffered a massive infestation is discouraging visitors.. Lets see the other options to asure there is no one better.

(B) suffered from a massive toad infestation and discouraged--- Looks like the Outer Banks are discouraging the vacationers. Incorrect.

(C) suffered a massive infestation of toads, which discouraged--- Which is referring back to "massive infestation" not to toads, since it is a prepositional phrase referring to massive infestation. So massive infestation could discouraged vacationers? This could be right..
This answer choice says "infestation of toads" whereas is more correct "toad infestation". Even though I would say this is the correct option because which refers backs correctly to what is discouraging vacationers to visit the area.

(D) was suffering a massive infestation of toads and discouraging. This verbal time is used when one action is ongoing until another action happens. No need. Incorrect.

(E) had suffered from a massive toad infestation and this discouraged. This verbal time (past perfect) is unnecessary since there is no need of sequence several actions in the past. Incorrect.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: During the summer of 2002, the Outer Banks suffered a massive toad inf [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) suffered a massive toad infestation, discouraging - Incorrect - massive toad infestation discouraged vacationers. The subject in the previous clause is outer banks. So this option seems to suggest that Outer banks suffered and this suffering discouraged vacationers. This is incorrect.

(B) suffered from a massive toad infestation and discouraged - Incorrect - Option suggests that Outerbanks suffered X and discouraged Y. This is not correct.

(C) suffered a massive infestation of toads, which discouraged - Correct - Here which refers to infestation of toads and this is what we are looking for.

(D) was suffering a massive infestation of toads and discouraging - Incorrect - Tense error + Awkward construction

(E) had suffered from a massive toad infestation and this discouraged - Incorrect - No need to use past perfect tense here.

IMO answer is C.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32873 [4]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Well the question is a bit tricky, already under normal condition. During the exam pressure, the question could be very dangerous if you not analyze very very carefully.

As such, D and E are clearly wrong because we are in 2002 so the tense was suffering and had suffered are inappropriate.

A is a good option but as Vyshak pointed out it has two main problems : using discouraging we do not really know if it is due by the bank or the infestation. Moreover, massive infestation of toads is much better than the way around because in the second case is not crystal clear if massive refers to infestation or toads.

Hence, the answer is C.

Sent via Note 4
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
A should be the correct answer.
As MGMAT SC guide puts it "Use WHICH only to refer to the noun immediately preceding it—never to refer to an entire clause". It is not the toads that have discouraged the tourists. The massive infestation due to which banks have suffered discouraged tourist. We need to refer the entire clause and hence verb -ing is best available option.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32873 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
nishith17 wrote:
A should be the correct answer.
As MGMAT SC guide puts it "Use WHICH only to refer to the noun immediately preceding it—never to refer to an entire clause". It is not the toads that have discouraged the tourists. The massive infestation due to which banks have suffered discouraged tourist. We need to refer the entire clause and hence verb -ing is best available option.

The red part is also wrong.

Back to the question, we do not need at all to referring to the entire precedent clause. The bank suffered something and is THAT something that discouraged the vacationers, NOT the bank. Infact, at the end of the sentence is clearly stated that the ENTIRE area was not visited.

Moreover, if you use discouraging , it seems that the discouragement still persists over time, and this is not our intent to convey. I remember you that the sentence and the action related to it is completely in the past. As such, we need a past tense in the simple form.

Hope this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
During the summer of 2002, the Outer Banks suffered a massive infestation of toads, discouraging many vacationers from visiting the area.
(A) suffered a massive infestation of toads, discouraging
I like better the option "suffered a massive infestation of toads, discouraging", but this one is the only one right anyway.
(B) suffered from a massive toad infestation and discouraged
"Discourage" is dependent on "suffered". These two verbs can not be parallel. Because suffered, thus discouraged
(C) suffered a massive infestation of toads, which discouraged
"Which" - we can use it as a modifier to a word not to a phrase like "the Outer Banks suffered a massive infestation of toads"
(D) was suffering a massive infestation of toads and discouraging
Same as in B - these two verbs can not be parallel
(E) had suffered from a massive toad infestation and this discouraged
No past perfect. And again - "this" to a whole phrase.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A participial modifier phrase following a comma, normally modifies the essence of the entire previous clause. As per that tenet, we can surmise that the Outer Banks and its sufferance of the infestation of toads all put together discouraged the vacationers. A seems to have no error either logically or grammatically.

But choice C can not be faulted, because the only objection to it that it is fouling the touch rule, has been overruled by GMAT as illustrated in the quoted example. As per that reasoning , it is legitimate to claim that the massive infestation of toads discouraged vacationers.

Quote:
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of

(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business

(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of

(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business

(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business

As per OG explanation , option (B) is the correct answer, (wherein, the relative pronoun refers just not to abuse but to the effects of drug and alcohol abuse.)

So which one shall we take, A or C?

But does the question contain a choice using a participial modifier rather than the relative pronoun ‘which’? Had such a choice been there, would GMAT have still preferred the relative pronoun? I think no; at best the relative pronoun choice can be accepted as the best among the not so good ones in my opinion and still a participial modifier would have won if it had been there

I will convincingly prefer A

Hi AndrewN

Daagh above explains why he prefers A over C.

My reasoning is that A is wrong because it makes it seem as if the outer banks themselves discouraged tourists, since verb-ing modifiers take subject of the preceding clause, hence c is a better option?

and, also, which can modify nouns that are followed by an essential modifier, essentially making the touch-rule less rigid?

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shikhar22 wrote:
Hi AndrewN

Daagh above explains why he prefers A over C.

My reasoning is that A is wrong because it makes it seem as if the outer banks themselves discouraged tourists, since verb-ing modifiers take subject of the preceding clause, hence c is a better option?

and, also, which can modify nouns that are followed by an essential modifier, essentially making the touch-rule less rigid?

Posted from my mobile device

To be honest, Shikhar22, I think the question is flawed and either (A) or (C) can be defended. I would argue that the -ing phrase in (A) unambiguously refers to a place having experienced a detrimental infestation, [thereby] discouraging vacationers. We cannot conveniently ignore the verb and object of the main clause to make the case that the -ing phrase refers to the Outer Banks only. I suspect that confusion stems from the less familiar usage of the word suffered, but to say that a land suffered a blight, for instance, is perfectly acceptable. It means that a blight struck the land. On the other hand, suffered from a blight would not work, since the added preposition would now personify the land. This is just a quirk of English, and I doubt that such an arcane usage of a word would be tested on the modern GMAT™. As for (C), yes, a relative clause may leap over the object of the preposition when it makes sense to interpret the sentence that way. If I were to write a sentence, The committee on water safety that meets once a week does so on Tuesdays, there should be no doubt that a committee, rather than water safety, meets on Tuesdays. You just have to let logic guide your interpretation, not mechanical rules. (I wish sometimes that grammar worked like mathematics, but that is simply not the nature of language.)

Thank you for thinking to ask. I am not sure that I have provided a definitive answer, but I suppose talking points can be useful for practicing official questions, the only kind I recommend for Verbal preparation.

- Andrew

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts