Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was memorable as much for his [#permalink]
Skywalker18 wrote:
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any - Incorrect comparison -

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other - Both X and Y -- X and Y should be parallel

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any - The growth of Apple can't exceed its own growth since any will include Apple too.

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other - unclear meaning - what of Apple exceeded every other

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other - Correct

Answer E

Here we are talking about large tech company. nowhere mentioned apple is large tech company.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was memorable as much for his [#permalink]
Expert Reply
8427791377 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any - Incorrect comparison -

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other - Both X and Y -- X and Y should be parallel

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any - The growth of Apple can't exceed its own growth since any will include Apple too.

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other - unclear meaning - what of Apple exceeded every other

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other - Correct

Answer E

Here we are talking about large tech company. nowhere mentioned apple is large tech company.

Hello 8427791377,

We hope this finds you well.

To clarify, the phrase "any other large tech company" implicitly conveys that "Apple" belongs to the category of "large tech company".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply

I see your point--we shouldn't have to know that Apple is a large tech company. (Although surely we do know that, unless we have been hiding in a cave since the 1970's. ;) ) However, we certainly can be expected to use all 5 answer choices to determine the meaning. Since 3 of the choices say "any other," we can tell that the author is trying to say that Apple is in that category, too. (Also, if Apple were not in that category, it wouldn't be clear why the comparison was being made.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any

I am confused with what "who" is modifying.
it seems that "who" being a noun modifier modifies Steve Jobs, as a noun modifier must be touching the noun it modifies as per Manhattan Prep,

But then I am again thinking it might be modifying "tenure" as "of Steve Jobs" is a noun modifier of "tenure" and as tenure is the subject, that is what "who" is modifying here.

can anyone correct where I am going wrong with the second part of thinking?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayanghosh48 wrote:
(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any

I am confused with what "who" is modifying.
it seems that "who" being a noun modifier modifies Steve Jobs, as a noun modifier must be touching the noun it modifies as per Manhattan Prep,

But then I am again thinking it might be modifying "tenure" as "of Steve Jobs" is a noun modifier of "tenure" and as tenure is the subject, that is what "who" is modifying here.

can anyone correct where I am going wrong with the second part of thinking?

First of all, keep in mind that a noun modifier does not HAVE to touch the noun in modifies. Choice (E) is a great example of an exception to the so-called touch rule. (For more on that, check out section called "Usage #4: 'that' as a modifier" in this article: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43686.html. Or this video on SC noun modifiers might help, too.)

That said, we wouldn't use "who" to modify "tenure" -- we'd use "which" or "that" instead. "Who" definitely seems to modify "Steve Jobs" in choice (C).

But choice (C) has other issues, as explained here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/during-the-t ... l#p1901790.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was memorable as much for his [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This one is tricky! (And apologies to anybody who saw a version with some discrepancies between the original underlined portion and answer choice (A). The problem has been fixed.) If you get too mechanical with the word "which", you can get yourself into trouble here, especially if you're not paying obsessively close attention to the meaning of each of the answer choices.

Quote:
(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any

“Which” can’t modify a person, so you might automatically think that this one is wrong, since “which” seems to be modifying “Steve Jobs.” But as we discussed in our long-winded article about the many uses of “that” on the GMAT, it can be perfectly OK for a noun modifier (“that” or “which”, for example) to “reach behind” a prepositional phrase. So (A) is saying that “the tenure of Steve Jobs” was memorable for a couple of different reasons. That seems fine.

But there’s a different problem: “the growth of Apple exceeded any large technology company.” Nope. We can’t really compare the growth of Apple to “any large technology company.” (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other

There’s a nice, clear parallelism error here: “both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations.” “Both” is followed by a prepositional phrase, and “and” is followed by a noun, and that’s not OK. (B) is gone.

Quote:

I guess I’m OK with the modifier beginning with “who”, though I think it would make more sense if we modify the entire phrase “tenure of Steve Jobs”, instead of just Steve Jobs. But I guess it’s not DEFINITELY wrong to use “who” here.

The bigger problem is that the comparison at the end is just a tiny bit off. "That" is a singular pronoun referring back to "the growth", so then we have: “…the growth of Apple exceeded {the growth of} any technology company in the world.” This is subtle as hell, but Apple’s growth didn’t exceed the growth of any technology company – it exceeded the growth of any other technology company. Nasty! (And here’s an official question that has a similar issue, in case you think we’re inventing weird stuff.) So (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other

As mentioned in (C), I’m not crazy about the use of “who” here, but again, I’m not sure that it’s wrong. The comparison at the end of the underlined portion is definitely wrong, though: it’s literally saying that Apple itself exceeded every other tech company, and that doesn’t make sense. (D) is gone.

Crap, I hope we like (E).

Quote:
(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other

Not bad! The phrase beginning with “which” correctly modifies “the tenure of Steve Jobs”, and that makes sense. And the comparison is finally better: “the growth of Apple exceeded {the growth of} any other large tech company…” That works. (E) is the answer.

I was going through Wren & Martin the other day and it explained the same concept that you have explained in option C.
If my memory serves me well, it was something like this -
"Gold is more expensive than any metal"
Here, when we say that gold is more expensive than any metal, then the word "any" constitutes all the metals (gold also)
which renders the sentence incorrect as gold can not be more expensive than itself.

Therefore, the correct formation should be -
"Gold is more expensive than any other metal"
This "other" here is just to exclude gold from the list of all the metals.

Unfortunately, I remembered this concept after reading your explanation and had marked the wrong answer before.
Hopefully, I remember these things on the day of the test.
GMAT Club Bot
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was memorable as much for his [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts