Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [14]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27 (Online)
Send PM
Re: During warmer months, zooplankton, microscopic marine animals that dri [#permalink]
Kudos
Meaning :-
Sentence intends to convey the activity of a margine organism during warmer months.
Zooplankaton do 1 sink to escape predators when sun rises and 2 ascend to feed at night.

The meaning can be best conveyed by showing the both actions using AND.

Error Analysis:-
During warmer months, zooplankton,
microscopic marine animals that drift in oceans and bodies of fresh water,
sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending again to feed at night.

1. The sentence is structured as the sun rises to escape by ascending again night
2. to escape predators should modify the verb sink.
3. and is missing before ascend.

A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending
As mentioned above
B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend
to ascend - phrase modifying sink - illogical,

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending
and - wrong , No verb for Zooplan, escaping modifiies sun rises
D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend
Conveys the meaning.

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascend
at the sun's rising is awkward.

So i believe D is the right option.
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [5]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
During warmer months, zooplankton, microscopic marine animals that dri [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 147 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

During warmer months, zooplankton, microscopic marine animals that drift in oceans and bodies of fresh water, sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending again to feed at night.

Sentence Structure
Subject - Verb
      During warmer months,
    ZOOPLANKTON
        , microscopic marine animals that drift in oceans and bodies of fresh water,
      SINK from the water's surface in order to escape predators
        when the sun rises
      and ASCEND again to feed at night.

Issues:
    Initially, I assume zooplankton singular, considering zooplankton as a species( Singular-entity).
    However, zooplankton ----maps to---> microscopic marine animals( Plural Subject) that drift( Plural Verb)
    Thus, we need to consider zooplankton plural.

Moving on to the next split, we get sun's rising vs the sun rises.
    B and E The possessiveness of inanimate things is wrong.

Answer choice analysis:
    A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending
      Meaning issue: the sun rises to escape predators. Really, who can even dare to threaten the sun!? :cool:
      The verb-ing form CAN easily map to either zooplankton or the sun, creating ambiguity about the doer of the action/previous clause.

B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend
      The possessiveness of inanimate things is wrong.

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending
      The verb mapped to the subject zooplankton is missing because sink is parallel to drift

D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend
      Great question. Loved every bit of it. D is the champ!

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascend
      The possessiveness of inanimate things is wrong.

Originally posted by XyLan on 06 Aug 2019, 00:22.
Last edited by XyLan on 06 Aug 2019, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: During warmer months, zooplankton, microscopic marine animals that dri [#permalink]
Kudos
The use of "ascending" is making illogical relationship between the two action.

Same as above, the "sink" doesn't lead to the "ascend."

There is no parallel action in the preceding sentence before "and."

CORRECT

"at the sun's rising" has different meaning from the original sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
During warmer months, zooplankton, microscopic marine animals that dri [#permalink]
Kudos
During warmer months, zooplankton, microscopic marine animals that drift in oceans and bodies of fresh water, sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending again to feed at night.

A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending - we use ing modification when we speak about course and effect situations

B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend - wrong parallel structure

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending - SVA no need for and

D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend - correct answer

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascend - wrong ing form for imanimate things
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending : Incorrect,

B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend : Incorrect, awkward construction. Now, the sentence means that zooplankton sink ...to escape, to ascend.

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending : incorrect, Sink is one of the two verbs and an 'and' should not be used before it.

D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend : Sink is made parallel to ascend, Correct.

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascend : awkward construction. at sun rise should have been correct usage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
IMO: D is correct

A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending - ascending incorrectly modify the previous clause

B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend - the zooplankton sink ...to escape predators to ascend - Wrong

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending - and is incorrect

D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend - correct

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascend - sun's rising is incorrect. Moreover, we use "commas before and" when we have 3 things. For example, X,Y, and Z. When we have 2 things X and Y is enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
IMO correct answer is D

Xylan, thanks for the information regarding possessiveness of inanimate things. This is wrong. I get to know the new information. I was discarding this split on account of awkwardness in sentence structure. :)

A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending - Issue with parallelism, "Drift" plural verb, goes well with sink, but "ascending" is not a proper usage - Incorrect

B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend - "to ascend" is incorrect again for the reason mentioned above.

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending - "escaping predators and ascending" tried to make this parallel, but these activities are not taking place simultaneously & hence verb+ing modifier cannot properly modify the clause preceding it.

D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend - Correct

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascend - possessiveness about the inanimate object as i mentioned above, also "," before and is making it incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 147 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) sink from the water's surface when the sun rises to escape predators, ascending - "the sun rises to escape predators" gives a different meaning

B) sink from the water's surface at the sun's rise to escape predators, to ascend - Creates an wrong list with no connector. Completely different meaning

C) and sink from the water's surface when the sun rises, escaping predators and ascending - zooplankton and Sink - No Verb for the subject

D) sink from the water's surface in order to escape predators when the sun rises and ascend - Correct. <But is "In order" required? Seems redundant with "to" giving purpose>

E) sink from the water's surface to escape predators at the sun's rising, and ascendat the sun's rising - Looks awkward?
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
J2S2019 wrote:
IMO correct answer is D

Xylan, thanks for the information regarding possessiveness of inanimate things. This is wrong. I get to know the new information. I was discarding this split on account of awkwardness in sentence structure. :)

Glad you found the notion useful!

Just to give a heads-up to the people on the GMAT-forum (Notice, how it's people on the GMAT-forum NOT the GMAT-forum's people ) -
    The engine of the car is preferred to the car's engine. - It's a preference, NOT a rule.

However, the F1 car of Michael Schumacher is almost similar to Michael Schumacher's F1 car.
Thus, the rule - The possessiveness of inanimate things is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos

Structure: Modifier, Subject, Modifier, Verb+Object, and verb+object. --> This should be the correct construction here.

Now, let's understand the meaning perspective: Zooplankton sinks during the day to escape predators and ascend during the night to feed.

Using verb-ing (ascending) in place of a verb is wrong. The subject zooplankton has two verbs here sinks and ascend.

Option D corrects this error.
IMHO D
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [2]
Send PM
Kudos