GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 11:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:19) correct 53% (02:09) wrong based on 30 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers from the current plant to a new plant. However, all current workers need to undergo training before moving to the new plant. The company is retaining all its current workers and not hiring any new ones. Due to capacity constraints, only 250 workers can be trained in a training session, so the company is employing a dual strategy. At the beginning of each training session, 250 workers are randomly chosen for an intensive 10-day course at the new plant, after which they start work in the new plant. The training sessions are held consecutively, with one session beginning the day after the previous one ends. Workers working at the current plant and unable to undertake training due to capacity constraints are gradually introduced to new methods employed at the new plant and get a "one-day training credit" for this on-the-job-training each time they are not chosen for a formal training session through random selection. These credits reduce their overall training requirements.

If the company has 1000 workers working at the old plant on June 1st, how long will it take for both plants to have an equal number of workers, and how long before the old plant shuts down completely?

How long will it take for both plants to have an equal number of workers?

A. 10
B. 19
C. 20
D. 27
E. 40

Note, this is part of the IR Section of the GMAT.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 13:08
reto wrote:
Workers working at the current plant and unable to undertake training due to capacity constraints are gradually introduced to new methods employed at the new plant and get a "one-day training credit" for this on-the-job-training each time they are not chosen for a formal training session through random selection. These credits reduce their overall training requirements.

Ten days is sufficient to fulfill the training requirement. If each employee gets either one day of training or a credit for that one day, then everybody will be trained after 10 days. I must be missing something...
Intern
Intern
Re: Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 14:44
This question should be ranked 700-level for its wording only. I had a really hard time just to understand the dual strategy of the company.
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 15:17
reto wrote:
Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers from the current plant to a new plant. However, all current workers need to undergo training before moving to the new plant. The company is retaining all its current workers and not hiring any new ones. Due to capacity constraints, only 250 workers can be trained in a training session, so the company is employing a dual strategy. At the beginning of each training session, 250 workers are randomly chosen for an intensive 10-day course at the new plant, after which they start work in the new plant. The training sessions are held consecutively, with one session beginning the day after the previous one ends. Workers working at the current plant and unable to undertake training due to capacity constraints are gradually introduced to new methods employed at the new plant and get a "one-day training credit" for this on-the-job-training each time they are not chosen for a formal training session through random selection. These credits reduce their overall training requirements.

If the company has 1000 workers working at the old plant on June 1st, how long will it take for both plants to have an equal number of workers, and how long before the old plant shuts down completely?

A. 10
B. 19
C. 20
D. 27
E. 40

The old facility has 1000 workers and 250 workers at any given time can be trained. So look at this scenario:

June 1st -10th : 250 workers getting trained at the new facility , 750 remaining at the old facility. Total workers working at the new facility right after the training ends on 10th = 250.
June 11th -20th : 250 more workers getting trained at the new facility (total = 250+250 = 500) , 500 remaining at the old facility. Thus, the workers will be equal (=500) in both the old and new facilities after June 20th. B is the correct answer.

Although I think the wording of the question stem could have been particular that the workers can work on the same day that they finish their training. If not for this, the 2nd batch of workers can only start working "after" the training, on 21st June instead of 20th June.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 18:05
Please Explain

I think 20 will be the answer as
for first 250 we need 10 days and the second 250 we need 10 days.

for 500 employ the company nees 20 days.

how it could be 19.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 20:52
b. 19.

In the first training slot, 250 people will be trained which will take 10 days.
When these 250 people are slected, remaing 750 will be eligible to complete the training when they get selected in 9 days.
So we select next 250, total 500 people will take 19 days.
The next 250 will take 8 days & final 250 7 days.

so the old plant will shut down in 10+9+8+7 i.e. 34 days.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 00:54
reto wrote:

A. 10
B. 19
C. 20
D. 27
E. 40

Please again, mind this is a IR question, not a normal PS question.

The first "batch" of training session needs 10 days, no doubt. It starts June 1. The second batch starts June 2nd. One day passed and the workes at the factory got a 1 day credit reducing their overall training requirements from 10 to 9 days for the next batch starting June 11th. So for the next 250 workes, 9 days are required to finish the training. After 19 days, 500 workers which are equal to half of the total workes work in the new plant.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 13:08
reto wrote:
reto wrote:

A. 10
B. 19
C. 20
D. 27
E. 40

The first "batch" of training session needs 10 days, no doubt. It starts June 1. The second batch starts June 2nd. One day passed and the workes at the factory got a 1 day credit reducing their overall training requirements from 10 to 9 days for the next batch starting June 2nd. So for the next 250 workes, 9 days are required to finish the training. After 19 days, 500 workers which are equal to half of the total workes work in the new plant.

As I understand, for the number of workers to be equal after 19 days, the 2nd batch should start on June 11th not June 2nd.
10 days (1st batch) + 9 days (2nd batch) = 19 days?
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 03:40
Markarsu wrote:
reto wrote:
reto wrote:

A. 10
B. 19
C. 20
D. 27
E. 40

The first "batch" of training session needs 10 days, no doubt. It starts June 1. The second batch starts June 2nd. One day passed and the workes at the factory got a 1 day credit reducing their overall training requirements from 10 to 9 days for the next batch starting June 2nd. So for the next 250 workes, 9 days are required to finish the training. After 19 days, 500 workers which are equal to half of the total workes work in the new plant.

As I understand, for the number of workers to be equal after 19 days, the 2nd batch should start on June 11th not June 2nd.
10 days (1st batch) + 9 days (2nd batch) = 19 days?

Yes you must be right, thanks. This is a pretty though question. I had lots of problems as a non native until I understood it finally.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 20:14
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 20:14

Dyminocs is changing its production methods and moving all its workers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap