It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

19 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 419 [19], given: 102

Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fozzzy wrote:
Is there an alternative explanation for this question? What would be the difficulty level of this question?

My solution: (From the diagram table)
we have to know, is a/c > (a+b)/(c+d) ?
or, ac+ad>ac+bc
or, ad>bc ?

from st(1), a+b/ c+d >b/d
or, ad+bd>bc+bd
or, ad>bc so st(1) alone is sufficient.

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .
Multiplying the both equation gives us, ad>bc. so st(2) alone is sufficient too.

Thus both statements individually are sufficient to solve the problem.
Thus Answer is (D)
Attachments

File comment: use this chart to solve this problem in less than 2 min
chart.png
chart.png [ 11.03 KiB | Viewed 4579 times ]

Asif vai.....

Kudos [?]: 419 [19], given: 102

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 419 [1], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2013, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
Asifpirlo wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Is there an alternative explanation for this question? What would be the difficulty level of this question?

or, ac+ad>ac+bc
or, ad>bc ?

or, ad+bd>bc+bd

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .
Multiplying the both equation gives us, ad>bc. so st(2) alone is sufficient too.

Thus Answer is (D)

this really helped at least 335 members..... glad to see it.
335 views 2 kudos..... :-D not bad :-D :-D :-D :-D

thanks thanks.... love to see these :-D :-D

Asif vai.....

Kudos [?]: 419 [1], given: 102

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1413 [2], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Z is divided in to X and Y => Y <------- Z ------> X ( imagine its a chart not sure how to draw it out in here)

let the part time employees under division X be Px
Let the full time employees under division X be Fx

let the part time employees under division Y be Py
Let the full time employees under division Y be Fy

So the question is asking

Is \(\frac{Fx}{Px} > \frac{Fx+ Fy}{Px + Py}\) ?

We can cross multiply since all values positive

=> \(Fx.Px + Fx.Py > Fx.Px + Px.Fy\)

So the question \(is Fx.Py > Px.Fy?\)

Statement 1 says => the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

\(\frac{Fy}{Py} < \frac{Fy + Fx}{Px + Py}\)

Cross multiply we get

=> \(Fy.Px + Fy.Py < Fy.Py + Fx.Py\)
=> \(Fy.Px < Fx.Py\)

re-arrange\(Fx.Py > Fy.Px\) sufficient

Statement 2 => More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of thepart-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

\(\frac{Fx}{Fx + Fy}> \frac{1}{2}\) => \(2Fx > Fx + Fy\)=> \(Fx > Fy\)

And

\(\frac{Py}{Py + Px} > \frac{1}{2}\)

=> \(2Py > Py + Px\)

=>\(Py > Px\) => \(\frac{Px}{Py} < 1\) and \(Fx > Fy\) => \(\frac{Fx}{Fy}> 1\)

The question is\(Fx.Py > Px.Fy\)

Re-arrange the question \(Fx.Py > Px.Fy\)

\(\frac{Fx}{Fy}\) ( Greater than 1) > \(\frac{Px}{Py}\) ( less than 1) from statement above

sufficient

Answer is D

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1413 [2], given: 543

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either Division [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 17:46
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 12:16
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or division Y, but not both. If each division has some part time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees greater for division X than for Company Z?

(1) the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

(2) More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

Nough said. This problem is easy to solve just conceptually. So drop your pens and lets start inmersing in the world of weighted average.
1) Ratio of FT/PT is less in Y than in total. This is STRAIGHT weighted average. It means then that this ratio in X will have to be higher to compensate and breakeven (Remember weighted average = 0). We could use differentials but its pretty clear to me.

Sufficient

2) We are being asked is FTX/PTX > FTY/PTY. From this the answer is clearly yes
Sufficient

Hence D

Cheers
J :)

Kudos Rain!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2013, 03:50
very hard questions. we can not use formular because it take a lot of time

just "feel" , draw 2 rantangular, each divided into 2 part, one part full time, the ther par time. we can do this question

this is very hard. I will redo this question may times

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Current Student

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2013, 14:17
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or division Y, but not both. If each division has some part time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees greater for division X than for Company Z?

(1) the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

(2) More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

Can we have a short walkthrough for this problem. Would be more than happy to provide some nice Kudos as Christmas present
Cheers!
J :)

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 08:20
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 07:16
Weighted average concept

Stmnt 1)
the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

ratio y < ratio z

since z is the overall average ratio, it has to definitely lie between the ratio for x and y. The question is which of the 2 ratios (ratiox or ratio y ) is higher..

stmt 1 says ratio y is less than ratio z which implies that ratio x is the greatest > ratio z> ratio y

SUFFICIENT

Stmnt 2)
More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

if you are assigning 51% or more of permanent employees to x then you assign 49% or less to y
if you are assigning 51% or more of temp employees to y then you assign 49% or less to x

thus numerator of x> numerator of y
denom x< denom y

this will always result is ratio x>ratio y [dividing a larger number into smaller parts>dividing a smaller number into larger parts]
this now implies something similar to statement 1

SUFFICIENT

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
P

Kudos [?]: 2902 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 10:49
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

This is a '2by2' question, most common type of question in GMAT math
Attachment:
GCDS GMATBLACKBELT Each employee of Company Z (20151107).jpg
GCDS GMATBLACKBELT Each employee of Company Z (20151107).jpg [ 23.17 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]

If we modify the question, we get a/c>(a+b)/(c+d)?, or a(c+d)>c(a+b)?, or ac+ad>ca+cb?, or ad>cb, ultimately.
There are 4 variables (a,b,c,d) but only 2 equations are given from the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (E) will be our answer.
Looking at the conditions,
From condition 1, b/d<(a+b)/(c+d), or b(c+d)<d(a+b, or bc+bd<da+bd, or bc<ad. This answers the question 'yes' and this is sufficient.
For condition 2, a>(a+b)/2, or a>b and d>(c+d)/2, or d>c. This also answers the question 'yes' and this is sufficient as well.
Condition 1 = condition 2. The answer becomes (D).

For cases where we need 3 more equation, such as original conditions with “3 variables”, or “4 variables and 1 equation”, or “5 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 80% chance that E is the answer (especially about 90% of 2 by 2 questions where there are more than 3 variables), while C has 15% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since E is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or D.

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 2902 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

hard one.
pick numbers. suppose, Z have 50 full time employees and 50 part time employees.
and suppose the following:
50 full time employees of Z= 25 full time employee from X and 25 full time employee from Y
50 part time employee of Z= 25 partime one from X and 25 part time one from Y.

choice 1,
from choice 1, we have 24 full time one from Y, this mean 50-24=26 full time from X,
we have 26 part time from Y this mean 24 full time from X
enough
choice 2.
similar to choice 1.

answer D.

takeaway: PICK NUMBERS.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 159 [1], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 09:46
Asifpirlo wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

or, ac+ad>ac+bc
or, ad>bc ?

or, ad+bd>bc+bd

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .

Thus Answer is (D)

I did not understand how below equations are deduced from statement2 :( .. Please explain!

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 03:36
smartguy595 wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

or, ac+ad>ac+bc
or, ad>bc ?

or, ad+bd>bc+bd

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .

Thus Answer is (D)

I did not understand how below equations are deduced from statement2 :( .. Please explain!

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .

Can someone explain how below equations are deduced from statement2 for above explanation!

from st(2), we know a>b
and d>c .

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 424

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 10:58
Asifpirlo you absolutely nailed it. All the other concepts are rather abstract to me but you made it a lot easier with a chart. Thanks!

One question though, can't you just go directly to \(a/c > b/d\) without having to go through the \(a/c > (a+b)/(c+d)\) stage or am I missing something from taking that step? I believe it makes it even easier to setup intuitively

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 424

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 02:14
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Don't worry. I understand weighted average. What is intriguing is that we use these concepts often without even meaning to use them. When I say 'he is using weights', it means the general concept of 'weighted averaging'

Let me give you an example:

I have two solutions X and Y, 1 lt each, of wine and water. Solution X has wine:water in the ratio 2:3. I mix these two solutions to get wine:water ratio in the mixture as 1:1. What is wine:water in Y?
Guess what, the ratio of wine:water in Y is 3:2.

You can do it in various ways
Say working with concentration on wine:
1/2 = (2/5 * 1 + x*1)/2
x = 3/5

or we can simply say that wine in X is 40%, so wine in Y must be 60% to get 50% in mixture. This is averaging (or more generically weighted averaging... ) Here the weights are the same....

But the thing to note is that it doesn't matter whether we have the weights or now because due to averaging, the mixture will have concentration of wine in between X and Y.
If one understands this, one may not need to use any math and do it intuitively. Others may use the equations above to arrive at the same conclusion.

gmat1220, I believe, was using a generic example to explain why his intuition said what it did. If you want to get a ratio of 1:1 in the combined mixture and one mixture has a ratio of 1:4, the other will have 4:1 provided they both have equal weights (but we don't have to worry about the weights since eventually they do not matter in our question) So basically, it is the same general concept of weighted averages.

gmat1220: I hope this answers your question too.

karishma One small doubt by what in question we got to know,each piglet got equal amount of food

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 21:32
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

There are enough explanations for this question of weighted average. Somehow I wasn't convinced. I might have lacked the concept at the first place. So spent time and came up with a pictorial explanation for this conceptual question. Hope this helps those who ,like me, have faced difficulty in comprehending the essence of this question.

Refer the attachment for clearer visualization of the problem.

statement 1- consider the comparison only based on the element - "Ratio of F/P" for X & Y to that of Z.

statement 2 - consider the element - "Number of F" and "Number of Y" in Z.

statement 1 tells you about the blue portion in LHS - Ratio of F/P of Y in Z and question stem asks you about Yellow portion - Ratio of F/P in of X in Z. Definitely this is greater than the yellow portion.
statement 2 tells you about NX and DY and question stem asks you about (NX/DX) and (NY/DY). Note that smaller denominator of DX has given a greater value of the ratio NX/DY than the value of NY/DY(with a larger DY)

This is how both are sufficient and ans is D

Hope this was of help to those who got intimidated by a number of equations and distributions.
Attachments

EachEmployeeOfCompany.png
EachEmployeeOfCompany.png [ 17.89 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 326

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 09:42
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

we dont need formulae here.

1)
if this ratio of full time to part time for Y is less than for Z, what make this happen. clearly, only because this ratio for x is greater than for Y, we have this ratio for y is less than for Z

2) similar to 1)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 326

Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 09:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap