Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 23 Jul 2019, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or divi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or divi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 21:32
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or division Y, but not both. If each division has some part time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees greater for division X than for Company Z?

(1) the ratio of the number of full time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for division Y than for Company Z

(2) More than half of the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y

There are enough explanations for this question of weighted average. Somehow I wasn't convinced. I might have lacked the concept at the first place. So spent time and came up with a pictorial explanation for this conceptual question. Hope this helps those who ,like me, have faced difficulty in comprehending the essence of this question.

Refer the attachment for clearer visualization of the problem.

statement 1- consider the comparison only based on the element - "Ratio of F/P" for X & Y to that of Z.

statement 2 - consider the element - "Number of F" and "Number of Y" in Z.

statement 1 tells you about the blue portion in LHS - Ratio of F/P of Y in Z and question stem asks you about Yellow portion - Ratio of F/P in of X in Z. Definitely this is greater than the yellow portion.
statement 2 tells you about NX and DY and question stem asks you about (NX/DX) and (NY/DY). Note that smaller denominator of DX has given a greater value of the ratio NX/DY than the value of NY/DY(with a larger DY)

This is how both are sufficient and ans is D

Hope this was of help to those who got intimidated by a number of equations and distributions.
Attachments

EachEmployeeOfCompany.png
EachEmployeeOfCompany.png [ 17.89 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]

Non-Human User
Re: Each employee of company Z is an employee of either Division  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 00:52
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Each employee of company Z is an employee of either Division   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2019, 00:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either division X or divi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics