GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, archite

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, archite  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Sep 2018, 20:14
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 26 sessions

19% (03:34) correct 81% (02:56) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 23 sessions

9% (01:23) correct 91% (01:30) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 19 sessions

26% (01:21) correct 74% (01:30) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 15 sessions

27% (01:21) correct 73% (01:07) wrong

Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, architecture or humor, must be viewed within the specific cultural context from which it originates. Because cultural expressions dramatize the shared values and experiences of a people, a cultural outsider may find it difficult to integrate those expressions into his own cultural framework. This problem has plagued European Americans' relationship with Native Americans for centuries, and despite mainstream America's honest and well-meaning proclamations of tolerance and goodwill, many European Americans do not see that Native American cultural values and assumptions are distinctive from their own.

To Klamath basket makers, the idea of a basket as a song that has become visible is rooted in the nature of songs and in the basket makers' relationship to the materials used in the basket's creation. Traditional basket making songs, which are sung throughout the basket making process, consist mostly of prayers of thanks to the plants which supplied the basket's raw materials. Some basket makers sing songs of thanks because they believe that the plants are active participants in the basket making process, while others believe that expressing their dependence on plants through song is the only polite and proper way to behave. The Klamath basket maker does not distinguish between the final product and the materials and songs used in its creation.

Similarly, a famous Navajo joke cannot be understood by an outsider without taking into consideration the Navajo view of the natural order and human society. In a joke well-known to the Navajo people, four men are asked whether they dreamed the night before. Only the last one answers in the affirmative: "I dreamed I was sitting on four hatching birds, and three weren't mine; only one was mine." This joke is funny because it contradicts several Navajo cultural assumptions: a human is acting like a bird, a man is in the role of a woman and something heavy is sitting on delicate objects. To understand the end of the joke, one must comprehend Navajo ideas of parentage. Since the Navajo trace lineage through the female line, the notion of expressing concerns over paternity seems laughable.

Which of the following is most similar to the relationship between plants and the basket making process according to some basket makers?

A. spectators and a sports event
B. a supermarket customer and food production
C. wheat and making bread
D. voters and an election
E. a court reporter and a trial

Answer Choice D

What does the passage suggest about the Klamaths' attitude towards plants?

A. The Klamaths' attitudes towards plants is a defining feature of their culture.
B. The Klamath believe that plants have some characteristics in common with humans.
C. They believe that offering thanks to the plants helps them to create better baskets.
D. They believe that basket making upsets the natural balance between plants and humans.
E. They believe that plants need to be appeased.

Answer Choice B. The Klamath believe that plants, just like humans, deserve respect and thanks for their active efforts. To Klamath basket makers, the idea of a basket as a song that has become visible is rooted in the nature of songs and in the basket makers' relationship to the materials used in the basket's creation.

What is one function of the first paragraph?

A. The first paragraph offers an interpretation of Native American cultural expressions, examples of which are given in the second and third paragraphs.
B. The first paragraph presents an argument about viewing Native American cultural expressions which is refuted in the second and third paragraph.
C. The first paragraph provides a theory about viewing Native American cultural expressions necessary to interpret the second and third paragraphs.
D. The first paragraph explains why only insiders can understand Native American cultural expressions.
E. The first paragraph provides a method of viewing Native American culture that the second and third paragraphs employ.

Answer Choice E: The first paragraph describes the way in which the author thinks Native American cultural expressions should be viewed and the second and third paragraphs present Native American cultural expressions in that way.

What may be inferred about Navajo culture and beliefs?

A. Animals have an important role in Navajo humor.
B. The Navajo have a patriarchal conception of gender roles.
C. The Navajo use humor to question their cultural assumptions.
D. The Navajo believe in a clear-cut and well-defined natural order.
E. The Navajo believe that humans and animals sometimes behave in a similar manner.

Answer D: Since the Navajo trace lineage through the female line, the notion of expressing concerns over paternity seems laughable.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Originally posted by reto on 26 Sep 2015, 11:32.
Last edited by broall on 09 Sep 2018, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.
Edited explanation for Q4 and Q2.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 1
Premium Member
Re: Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, archite  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 03:33
Incorrect header to the passage.. Also I believe that given answers are incorrect. I got C, A, C B.

Reto - Could you explain why you have different answer choices

-- Caesars
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, archite  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 03:58
Caesar_1987 wrote:
Incorrect header to the passage.. Also I believe that given answers are incorrect. I got C, A, C B.

Reto - Could you explain why you have different answer choices

-- Caesars

Thank you Caesars

The answers are official and correct. Header is adjusted.

Here you find an example: https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-practic ... -questions

You may also google for the other answers, I am attending my exam tomorrow sorry :-)

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 09:51
Hi,
the explanation provided for the last question doesn't seem right. I also got answer D but the question is asking about Navajo not Klamath right?
Could you please clarify?

-------------------------

E. The Navajo believe that humans and animals sometimes behave in a similar manner.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 11:12
reto wrote:
Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, architecture or humor, must be viewed within the specific cultural context from which it originates. Because cultural expressions dramatize the shared values and experiences of a people, a cultural outsider may find it difficult to integrate those expressions into his own cultural framework. This problem has plagued European Americans' relationship with Native Americans for centuries, and despite mainstream America's honest and well-meaning proclamations of tolerance and goodwill, many European Americans do not see that Native American cultural values and assumptions are distinctive from their own.

To Klamath basket makers, the idea of a basket as a song that has become visible is rooted in the nature of songs and in the basket makers' relationship to the materials used in the basket's creation. Traditional basket making songs, which are sung throughout the basket making process, consist mostly of prayers of thanks to the plants which supplied the basket's raw materials. Some basket makers sing songs of thanks because they believe that the plants are active participants in the basket making process, while others believe that expressing their dependence on plants through song is the only polite and proper way to behave. The Klamath basket maker does not distinguish between the final product and the materials and songs used in its creation.

Similarly, a famous Navajo joke cannot be understood by an outsider without taking into consideration the Navajo view of the natural order and human society. In a joke well-known to the Navajo people, four men are asked whether they dreamed the night before. Only the last one answers in the affirmative: "I dreamed I was sitting on four hatching birds, and three weren't mine; only one was mine." This joke is funny because it contradicts several Navajo cultural assumptions: a human is acting like a bird, a man is in the role of a woman and something heavy is sitting on delicate objects. To understand the end of the joke, one must comprehend Navajo ideas of parentage. Since the Navajo trace lineage through the female line, the notion of expressing concerns over paternity seems laughable.

Which of the following is most similar to the relationship between plants and the basket making process according to some basket makers?

Answer Choice D

A. The Klamaths' attitudes towards plants is a defining feature of their culture.
B. The Klamath believe that plants have some characteristics in common with humans.
C. They believe that offering thanks to the plants helps them to create better baskets.
D. They believe that basket making upsets the natural balance between plants and humans.

Answer Choice B. The Klamath believe that plants, just like humans, deserve respect and thanks for their active efforts.

A. The first paragraph offers an interpretation of Native American cultural expressions, examples of which are given in the second and third paragraphs.
B. The first paragraph presents an argument about viewing Native American cultural expressions which is refuted in the second and third paragraph.
C. The first paragraph provides a theory about viewing Native American cultural expressions necessary to interpret the second and third paragraphs.
D. The first paragraph explains why only insiders can understand Native American cultural expressions.
E. The first paragraph provides a method of viewing Native American culture that the second and third paragraphs employ.

Answer Choice E: The first paragraph describes the way in which the author thinks Native American cultural expressions should be viewed and the second and third paragraphs present Native American cultural expressions in that way.

Answer D: The Klamath believe that plants, just like humans, deserve respect and thanks for their active efforts.

Can someone please post the explanations?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: UFlorida '18, UFL '17

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 20:32
can someone please explain the fourth question?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 11:53
every answer i chose was incorrect......
apparently i am writing GMAT tomorrow.....
what a boost to confidence .... :P

kinaare paaon phailane lage hian,
nadi se roz mitti kat rahi hai....

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 01:21
sylliu wrote:
Hi,
the explanation provided for the last question doesn't seem right. I also got answer D but the question is asking about Navajo not Klamath right?
Could you please clarify?

-------------------------

the official answer is B, not D. It is said in above comments
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 00:52
I think the answers are wrong. please put the answers/explanations to them for us to see. the link isnt opening. :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 09:00
I got all the answers wrong!!! Puzzled:S
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 07:07
Top Contributor
Edited OEs for Q2 and Q4. Need help in Q1, any inputs?
Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 11:53
JarvisR wrote:
Edited OEs for Q2 and Q4. Need help in Q1, any inputs?

Hi JarvisR,

Taken around 10 mins ( 9:25) and I got D,C,E,B and 2nd and 4th are wrong..

Giving my notes on Q1...Plants help or participate to get the basket creation. I felt that one is helping to get the output i.e. plants to basket..Similarly Voters participate in elections...something like input and output relation..

I hope you understand...
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 23:49
Made all the answers wrong. Please need expert's explanation for those questions. Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 01:31
Got all wrong . :(

Can anyone share explanation of the answers ?

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 17:01
Got every question wrong... GMATNinja abhimahna can you please help us?
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 23:00
adkikani - you should try solving this passage.

GMATNinja - Looks like everyone over here got the answers wrong. Can you share your thoughts on this? Our answers and OA don't match

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 05:26
All wrong. Very unconvincing OAs.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 19:17
pikolo2510 wrote:

GMATNinja - Looks like everyone over here got the answers wrong. Can you share your thoughts on this? Our answers and OA don't match

I'll repeat my usual line: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each individual question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete with that. And especially in verbal, even really great test-prep companies can miss the mark really, really badly.

In general, I don't spend time breaking down non-official verbal questions, but there are some smart people on this thread with serious doubts about the quality of the questions. So I'd be willing to bet that your time would be better spent on a nice, official question somewhere. Maybe some nice LSATs, if you've exhausted the official GMAT questions...?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 00:54
GMATNinja wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

I'll repeat my usual line: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each individual question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete with that. And especially in verbal, even really great test-prep companies can miss the mark really, really badly.

In general, I don't spend time breaking down non-official verbal questions, but there are some smart people on this thread with serious doubts about the quality of the questions. So I'd be willing to bet that your time would be better spent on a nice, official question somewhere. Maybe some nice LSATs, if you've exhausted the official GMAT questions...?

Thanks GMATNinja for your advice. :thumbup:

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 10:01
Here is my take on it:

Code:

The passage clearly says [code single]the plants which supplied the basket's raw materials[/code]; hence, I would choose C as _wheat_ is the raw material for making bread just like _plant's_ (material) is the raw material for making basket.

A. spectators are not a raw material to a sports event

B. super market customers are not raw materials to food production

C. Yes, wheat is a raw material to bread (assume wheat bread?)

D. Same as A and B. OE says this is the answer. Voters are not raw materials to an election, the candidates are. Voters simply decide on the outcome of the election. Let's talk politics...

E. Same as A and B

---

Code:

Poor question, but I agree with official answer as B mainly because nothing in the passage agrees with A, C, D, or E. Many people seem to have chosen A as the answer. Where does it say that the plants are a defining feature of their culture? Through POE, B is the only answer that makes sense.

---

Code:

First paragraph states that cultural expression must be viewed in a specific context and that one cannot intervene European American culture with Native American culture as outsiders will not understand the cultural expressions.

That said:

A. No, it's not an interpretation

B. Nothing is refuted

C. First paragraph is not a theory, but an opinion or fact. Also, it's not necessary to understand 2nd and 3rd paragraphs

D. Only is too strong, also not supported by the passage

E. Yes, this makes sense

---

Code:

I don't think the question maker understands how to write inference questions. The concept totally differs from GMAT. Anyhow:

A. Nope. Nothing says this

B. Opposite. Patriarchal means coming from the male side, not the female side

C. Question? Who said they are questioning their culture?

D. May be, though not clear

E. Nothing says this

Given that I have a strong disagreement with A, B, C, and E, I will go with D, though I think the choices are very poor and not "clear-cut"

If this helped, please give kudos!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, archite &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 10:01

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Each Native American cultural expression, be it dance, art, archite

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap