Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1552 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Each of the sales people that were retained after the company was acqu [#permalink]
Kudos
Each of the Sales People THAT ( here that refers to People) so verb has be plural
Eliminated B & D

Each of ......... acquired.. (Verb has to be singular as subject is EACH)
Eliminate C & E

Answer A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: Each of the sales people that were retained after the company was acqu [#permalink]
Each of the sales people that were retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are.

Meaning:
1. The company was acquired by someone or some other company
2. Some sales people were retained after the the company was acquired
3. Each of these sales people is more likely to receive a promotion
4. than any of the other sales team members that joined the company after the company was acquired

Errors:
Attachment:
A.PNG
A.PNG [ 27.43 KiB | Viewed 1994 times ]

The main aspect tested here is SV agreement, to make this agreement correct we have to be able to correctly identify plurality of the subject and subject itself.

Attachment:
Each.PNG
Each.PNG [ 27.14 KiB | Viewed 2007 times ]

for example:
1. Every man and woman is required to check in. Each-singular subject - correct
2. Three cats each eat fish. Each has nothing to do with plural subject - correct

Here each takes is so we are fine

'that' refers to 'people'
'people' depending on the context can be singular or plural. In our given context 'people' is singular - so we need singular verb.
'any' also depending on the context can be singular or plural. In our given context 'people' is singular - so we need singular verb.

POE

A. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are.
C. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company had been acquired are more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are.
E. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired are more likely to receive a promotion than any other sales team member are.

So we are left with (B) and (D).
B is rather interesting choice, 'had been acquired' seems that implying that company first acquired then there is likelihood of people staying there or not.
But to me difference is not so crucial, we have 'after' clear indicator of the sequencing of the events.

SO between (B) and (D) I'm with D, 99.99% :lol:
B. Each of the salespeople that was retained after the company had been acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any other sales team member is.

D. Each of the salespeople that was retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members is.

Attachment:
D.PNG
D.PNG [ 93.86 KiB | Viewed 1962 times ]

D is the answer :heart

Originally posted by GKomoku on 19 Jul 2019, 05:15.
Last edited by GKomoku on 19 Jul 2019, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are.
Correct.

B. Each of the salespeople that was ....
Incorrect. There should be "were' instead of 'was'.

C. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company had been acquired are ....
Incorrect. There should be "is' instead of 'are'.

D. Each of the salespeople that was ...
Incorrect. The same as B. There should be "were' instead of 'was'.

E. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired are
Incorrect. There should be "is' instead of 'are'.

The answer choice is A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Skywalker18 wrote:
Each of the sales people that were retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are.

I have a question regarding "That" in the premise.
Can "That" modify people in GMAT? I thought Not
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Can someone explain how A is correct?
Each if the salespeople is singular.
Hence were is incorrect.
I choose D as the subject verb agreement, modifiers go well with this option. Please explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Uswetha wrote:
Can someone explain how A is correct?
Each if the salespeople is singular.
Hence were is incorrect.
I choose D as the subject verb agreement, modifiers go well with this option. Please explain

Hi Uswetha,

Note that one of something and each of something are similar constructions because both convey singularity. So what is true for one of something is also true for each of something. I couldn’t find any official question testing each of something that as does this question from Veritas. However, below are two OG and GMAT Prep questions testing one of something and one of something that. I am sure that the explanations given to them also apply to each of something and each of something that.

1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/biologists-b ... fl=similar
2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/twenty-two-f ... fl=similar

Let’s picture a conversation during which you are telling me about apples on the table:

You: One of the apples is rotten.

I: Which apples do you mean?

You: Apples that are on the table.

Look, you could tell this information without making me ask a question. Instead of saying: One of the apples is rotten. Apples that are on the table. You could just say: One of the apples that are on the table is rotten. So please don’t make me ask a question :-D

As you see that are on the table is a noun modifier clarifying which apples you mean. So you just insert this noun modifier after the noun it's modifying. In a similar manner you can say:

You: Each of the apples is rotten.

I: Which apples again do you mean Uswetha?!

You: Apples that are on the table.

You see, you again made me ask a question :-D Well, we can conflate your two sentences by putting that noun modifier after the noun it’s modifying:

Each of the apples that are on the table is rotten.

Here that are refers to apples, and is refers to each.

In the question from Veritas we have a similar sentence:

You: Each of the salespeople is more likely to receive a promotion.

I: Whom do you mean? Us? Where is our promotion?

You: Salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired.

That’s how we get a sentence in which each of something that is followed by were, not was.

Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion.

Here that were refers to people, and is refers to each. That’s it.

I hope I wrote at least something helpful to you :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:

B. Each of the salespeople that was retained after the company had been acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any other sales team member is.
C. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company had been acquired are more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are.
D. Each of the salespeople that was retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members is.
E. Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired are more likely to receive a promotion than any other sales team member are.

This question was provided by Veritas Prep
for the Heroes of Timers Competition

I don't understand how come "any" is treated as a plural in the last part of the sentence.

Quote:
any of the other sales team members are.

generis /daagh: Could you please help here? I chose option A as I was able to rule out other options, and for option A, I guessed that with "any", there is a chance of exception because it is a part of "SANAM" pronoun.
My doubt is ain't we explicitly comparing each of the sales team members who were retained to each of the sales team members of any other team members? To substantiate my doubt I will say Each of the salespeople that were retained after the company was acquired is more likely to receive a promotion than any of the other sales team members are is. The parallelism would have been correct, had the comparison been each person to each person.

By meaning wise shouldn't this be "is"-?

regards,
Arup Sarkar
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos