GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 23:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Early in the development of a new product line, the critical

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1065
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jun 2017, 22:41
3
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:56) correct 32% (01:59) wrong based on 392 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Early in the development of a new product line, the critical resource is talent. New marketing ventures require a degree of managerial skill disproportionate to their short-term revenue prospects. Usually, however, talented managers are assigned only to established high-revenue product lines and, as a result, most new marketing ventures fail. Contrary to current practice, the best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the author’s argument?

(A) On average, new ventures under the direction of managers at executive level survive no longer than those managed by lower-ranking managers.

(B) For most established companies, the development of new product lines is a relatively small part of the company’s total expenditure.

(C) The more talented a manager is, the less likely he or she is to be interested in undertaking the development of a new product line.

(D) The current revenue and profitability of an established product line can be maintained even if the company’s best managers are assigned elsewhere.

(E) Early short-term revenue prospects of a new product line are usually a good predictor of how successful a product line will ultimately be.

Source: LSAT

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by noboru on 20 Jul 2010, 12:10.
Last edited by broall on 19 Jun 2017, 22:41, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 779
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 19:57
D is not the obvious answer in the question. To quickly find the answer Negate D. If the profits cannot be maintained after reassignment of managers then its bad policy. Argument falls apart.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 281
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:14
D --- dont know but relatively straight forward for me
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1136
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 13:03
1
D for me.

If company's profitability of an established product line can be maintained by assigning the company’s best managers elsewhere then the conclusion that the best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects is strengthened.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 129
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 23:46
D ......for me too ........

nusmavrik wrote:
D is not the obvious answer in the question. To quickly find the answer Negate D. If the profits cannot be maintained after reassignment of managers then its bad policy. Argument falls apart.


I couldn't quite understand it ?
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 779
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 00:22
Sorry one liner.

Logical Negative: (D) The current revenue and profitability of an established product line CANNOT be maintained if the company’s best managers are assigned elsewhere. -----> This destroys the argument.

Hope this is clear.
vudsri000 wrote:

nusmavrik wrote:
D is not the obvious answer in the question. To quickly find the answer Negate D. If the profits cannot be maintained after reassignment of managers then its bad policy. Argument falls apart.


I couldn't quite understand it ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 78
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 01:35
D for me too .. Took arnd 4:30 mins to me.. I am little poor in CRs thou..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 45
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 01:48
D it is as it proves that establish lines can work fine with / without best managers, so they can be used to develop new line of work.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 42
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2010, 09:41
D for me too! Got it straight! :D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Posts: 141
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:50
Conclusion:
the best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects.

Argument:
talented managers are assigned only to established high-revenue product lines and, as a result, most new marketing ventures fail

To strengthen the conclusion we have to prove that by assigning the talented managers to other than well established product lines, the profit of the company is not getting hampered.

D clearly states that The current revenue and profitability of an established product line can be maintained even if the company’s best managers are assigned elsewhere.

D is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Time to step up the tempo
Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 365
Location: Milky way
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:58
D seemed to be pretty logical and obvious to me.
_________________

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2010
Posts: 39
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2010, 21:10
D is the straight ans..as othrs are not suitable.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 64
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 09:08
definately d is not an answer.


(D) The current revenue and profitability of an established product line can be maintained even if the company’s best managers are assigned elsewhere.

It talking about the revunue and profitability...no where discussed about the profits and revenue bcoz of company's best managers...

my ans is C and it looks wins.

Let me know if it is wrong.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 179
Location: India
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 09:15
I found it somewhat straight D.
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1429
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 23:35
The answer is D - it eliminates a reason that may weaken the assunmption.
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 441
Location: United States (DC)
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2011, 08:39
1) early in dev, critical resource is talent
2) new ventures require more managerial skill than short-term rev prospects
3) usually talented managers are assigned to high rev product lines, so most new marketing ventures fail

4) best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects


1,2,3 are premise
4 is conclusion.

based on (2), we can assume that the managerial positions are most important for development of new product lines

So to strengthen the conclusion, you want to show that existing product lines wont suffer significantly from losing the more skilled managers.

a) This basically weakens one of the premises, (1)
b) Expense is not particularly relevant. We are concerned with the success of a product line, not how much it costs.
c) This indicates that it may be hard to find a talented manager for new product lines, but doesn't address whether it should be attempted.
d) Correct. This agrees with our pre-phrased answer. Moving talented managers off the existing product lines won't cause them to suffer.
e) Does not have any influence on whether talented managers will increase success rate.
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 393
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:05
1
1
Quote:
Early in the development of a new product line, the critical resource is talent. New marketing ventures require a degree of managerial skill disproportionate to their short-term revenue prospects. Usually, however, talented managers are assigned only to established high-revenue product lines and, as a result, most new marketing ventures fail. Contrary to current practice, the best managers in a company should be assigned to development projects.
Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the author’s argument?
(A) On average, new ventures under the direction of managers at executive level survive no longer than those managed by lower-ranking managers.
(B) For most established companies, the development of new product lines is a relatively small part of the company’s total expenditure.
(C) The more talented a manager is, the less likely he or she is to be interested in undertaking the development of a new product line.
(D) The current revenue and profitability of an established product line can be maintained even if the company’s best managers are assigned elsewhere.
(E) Early short-term revenue prospects of a new product line are usually a good predictor of how successful a product line will ultimately be.


Guys i know the answer so there is no point replying to this Message with
IMO A,B,C,D,E
What i wanna discuss is about how B and C fail to strengthen the argument.

(B) For most established companies, the development of new product lines is a relatively small part of the company’s total expenditure.
Cant this be the reason why Talented managers are not assigned to new development projects.The company does not want to spend much on the new projects and therefore it decides to assign mediocre managers to the new development projects in order to keep the Project cost as low as possible.

(C) The more talented a manager is, the less likely he or she is to be interested in undertaking the development of a new product line.
Cant this be 1 of the reasons for the company not to assign taleneted managers to the new dev. projects
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 234
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:21
What is the argument? That since more talent is required during development phase, best managers should be assigned to development projects.

C is saying that talented/ best managers are not interested in development projects mostly. How can this strengthen author's argument? In fact it is sort of weakening only - that best managers should NOT be assigned to development projects, since mostly they will not be interested in these projects, and this arguable can affect adversely their perfomance and that of the project.

B says that development projects are a small part of the expenditure. Assuming that best managers will mean more expenditure on development projects, this is contadictory to the author's conclusion, hence it cant strengthen the argument.
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 393
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:36
vivesomnium wrote:
What is the argument? That since more talent is required during development phase, best managers should be assigned to development projects.

C is saying that talented/ best managers are not interested in development projects mostly. How can this strengthen author's argument? In fact it is sort of weakening only - that best managers should NOT be assigned to development projects, since mostly they will not be interested in these projects, and this arguable can affect adversely their perfomance and that of the project.

B says that development projects are a small part of the expenditure. Assuming that best managers will mean more expenditure on development projects, this is contadictory to the author's conclusion, hence it cant strengthen the argument.

I was saying C reinforces the premise that the current practice is not to assign talented managers to new projects.
Anything that reinforces the premise strengthens the argument, doesnt it ?
I guess you are only looking at the conclusion for both the answer choices.Need Expert opinion to confirm whether 1 can do it your way.
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 137
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2011, 04:35
mundasingh123 wrote:
vivesomnium wrote:
What is the argument? That since more talent is required during development phase, best managers should be assigned to development projects.

C is saying that talented/ best managers are not interested in development projects mostly. How can this strengthen author's argument? In fact it is sort of weakening only - that best managers should NOT be assigned to development projects, since mostly they will not be interested in these projects, and this arguable can affect adversely their perfomance and that of the project.

B says that development projects are a small part of the expenditure. Assuming that best managers will mean more expenditure on development projects, this is contadictory to the author's conclusion, hence it cant strengthen the argument.

I was saying C reinforces the premise that the current practice is not to assign talented managers to new projects.
Anything that reinforces the premise strengthens the argument, doesnt it ?
I guess you are only looking at the conclusion for both the answer choices.Need Expert opinion to confirm whether 1 can do it your way.

First of all mundasingh123 I am not an expert still would like to share my thoughts on this.

I have my apprehensions about your view that "Anything that reinforces the premise strengthens the argument".Here it means actually that reinforcing the premises actually reinforces the arguments's conclusion contrary to your view of looking at it I assume.Because when you want to strengthen an argument you support/strengthen the conclusion by giving additional premises to strengthen it.All the premises contribute towards the conclusion not towards other premises.

So both option B and C are weakening the argument(conclusion per se) as very well explained by vivesomnium.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Early in the development of a new product line, the critical &nbs [#permalink] 08 Apr 2011, 04:35

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Early in the development of a new product line, the critical

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.