It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 07:11
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

93% (01:07) correct 7% (01:46) wrong based on 216 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer, according to an article in a nutritional magazine. The article refers to a study that found that people who consumed one or more beets per day were half as likely to be diagnosed with the disease as people who did not.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument in the magazine article?

A) Another study found that people who consumed one tablespoon of flax seed oil per day were more than four times less likely to be diagnosed with cancer as those who did not.

B) Participants in the study reported consuming no vegetables other than beets.

C) The study was only conducted in one city.

D) In another experiment, cancer patients who ate one or more beets per day were no more likely to recover than those who ate no beets.

E) The participants in the study who ate beets were more likely to exercise regularly than those who did not eat beets.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - In a while!

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 236

Concentration: Technology, Finance
WE: Analyst (Other)
Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 07:48
A) Another study found that people who consumed one tablespoon of flax seed oil per day were more than four times less likely to be diagnosed with cancer as those who did not. The argument is only concerned with beets, not flax seed oil. This is out of scope.

B) Participants in the study reported consuming no vegetables other than beets. This strengthens the argument by reducing alternative causes between what participants were eating and how likely they were to be diagnosed with cancer.

C) The study was only conducted in one city. This does not explain the discrepancy between those who ate beets and those who did not.

D) In another experiment, cancer patients who ate one or more beets per day were no more likely to recover than those who ate no beets. The argument is concerned with those being diagnosed with cancer, not those recovering from cancer. This is out of scope.

E) The participants in the study who ate beets were more likely to exercise regularly than those who did not eat beets. This is the correct answer. It offers an alternative cause for why the beet-eating participants might have lowered their chances of getting cancer.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 19:42
E seems to be the viable option to weaken the conclusion by introducing alternative(excercise). OA please..

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 241

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V21
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 12:41
E for me, you have to pick an option which can weaken the assumption.
Apart from beets there could be something else which has helped in lowering the risk of cancer.
Statement E points out that. Waiting for OA...

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 241

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 05:47
I think its E because it gives another reason which can contribute to lowering the risk of cancer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 00:44
A - OOS.
B - This indicates another factor involving, which is vegetables, but it affects all participants. It does not create any difference in the 2 groups.
C - Still can contribute to the validity of the conclusion.
D - OOS. the argument ony deals with the risk reduction, not with the disease recovery.
E - It creates an alternative reason for the research result. CORRECT.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 20:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V23
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 22:27
Option E seems to weaken by providing alternate reason

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 01:26
E is the option as it gives an alternate reason for the effect.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 76

Re: Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 01:26

Eating beets significantly lowers the risk of cancer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap