GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 May 2018, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 7
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 21:42
(1) Ecoefficient: reduce waste, companies: cost savings.
(2) P and G see: Eco worsen enviroment in future.
(3) Eco reduce waste in process but not reduce waste from using and discarding; Company invest Eco to increase profits and growth.
(4) Greater profit, greater invest in eco-inefficiency industries.
(5) More ecoefficient economy, more waste, more danger.
(6) P and G see: to protect environment, develop a new systemic approach.
(7) Focus on eco, may distract from pursuing new business models.

Summarizing main ideas make us answer more correctly. Because, we can figure out the flow of argument/ article, and know exactly where we can get right information.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1262
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 12:21
metallicafan wrote:
I don't understand why the answer in Q7 cannot be choice A.

The text says:
"Moreover, there is no guarantee that increased economic growth from ecoefficiency will come in similarly ecoefficient ways, since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries".

And that's what choice A says!. Check it out:
"Company profits resulting from such innovations may be reinvested in that
company with no guarantee that the company will continue to make further
improvements in ecoefficiency.
"

IMO, they both say the same. Please, your help. :s


I think there is quite strong difference in text:
A) "Moreover, there is no guarantee that increased economic growth from ecoefficiency will come in similarly ecoefficient ways, since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries".
No guarantee - this is just little possibility that some companies make such bad thing. And this is definitely not common scenario for most of ecoefficient companies.

B) " Such innovations reduce production waste but do not alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard;"
So passage sure about this consequence, and this is common scenario for most of ecoefficient companies.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 506
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 09:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
~6 mins all correct.

In Q4 I was between B and C, which IMO can easily trap in test condition, if you don't pay close attention.

Q4: The primary purpose of the passage is to
B. propose an alternative to a particular business strategy that has inadvertently caused ecological damage
>>
Senge and Carstedt argue that to preserve the global environment and sustain economic growth, businesses must develop a new systemic approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste..

They are just saying that an alternative approach must be developed to fix the current drawbacks but that approach is not mentioned.

[[Because if that is not done then...]]
Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract companies from pursuing radically different
products and business models.

C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy
>> Correct.
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Nov 2015
Posts: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 04:30
mamathak wrote:
manishgeorge wrote:
I have a question on #7.. Majority is going for answer B. But I am not understanding why that is a viable answer because. The passage suggests that the reduction in costs will not alter the total number of products being manufactured.

The last sentence says that Focusing
exclusively on ecoefficiency,
(50) which offers a compelling
business case according
to established thinking, may
distract companies from
pursuing radically different
(55) products and business
models.

That is the case unless the authors suggestions is adopted, correct. So I am getting the answer as E.

they will stops innovations.


Hi,

Even i chose E instead of B for the same reason. In option E, there is no content that goes against what is mentioned in the passage. But option B clearly mentions "manufacture greater number of products" which goes against the line " do not alter the number of products manufactured" in the passage. Can someone clarify?


Hello,

The section in the passage you are referring to is "Senge and Goran Carstedt see this development as laudable but suggest that simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future. Such innovations reduce production waste but do not alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard." This actually states ecoefficieny reduces production waste. Question B is saying that ecoefficiency leads to cost savings through company growth and it is this cost savings and growth (not ecoefficiency) that will lead to increased production and waste. Ecoefficiency is the catalyst, not the cause.

The last section says, "Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract companies from pursuing radically different products and business models." The question is saying that if a company meets its goals it will be be unlikely to invest. The section doesn't talk about what happens when a company when a meets its goals, it only talks about the process of trying to be ecoefficient.

Hope this makes sense!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Aug 2015
Posts: 37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 10:09
smartguy595 wrote:
ost subject: Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact Posted: 30 Jun 2016, 01:26
Can someone explain why option E is incorrect!



E here is wrong because the author main aim is to show that companies should develop a new systemic approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste, So now to support this he mentions several possible outcomes of companies’ failure to understand the economic impact of a particular business strategy. Hence E is a supportive statement to the main conclusion and not the actual purpose of the passage.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jun 2015
Posts: 47
Schools: Sloan '19
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 02:07
mamathak wrote:
manishgeorge wrote:
I have a question on #7.. Majority is going for answer B. But I am not understanding why that is a viable answer because. The passage suggests that the reduction in costs will not alter the total number of products being manufactured.

The last sentence says that Focusing
exclusively on ecoefficiency,
(50) which offers a compelling
business case according
to established thinking, may
distract companies from
pursuing radically different
(55) products and business
models.

That is the case unless the authors suggestions is adopted, correct. So I am getting the answer as E.

they will stops innovations.


Hi,

Even i chose E instead of B for the same reason. In option E, there is no content that goes against what is mentioned in the passage. But option B clearly mentions "manufacture greater number of products" which goes against the line " do not alter the number of products manufactured" in the passage. Can someone clarify?


IMO : OPTION E : A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.

Point#1 :new and innovative "ecoefficiency" measures-
last sentence of passage mentions "distract companies from pursuing radically differentproducts and business models", whereas as mentioned in first sentence "Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes".
second last sentence - "approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste"
Hence , "ecoefficiency" measures does not stand .
Point#2 :company that meets its ecoefficiency goals -
no where passage deals with meeting the goal or not.

B is almost discussed throughout the passage -
Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.
when production waste is reduced due to ecoefficient measures then the only source of increasing waste is more products.

hence we can reject E and go ahead with B.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 12:34
Fellow readers,

For Question 7, I got stuck between A and B, but I chose B because of the following 2 reasons -
Choice A does give us some reason of possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency?. However, this choice goes little out of scope, as it uses "company with no guarantee that the company will continue to make further improvements in ecoefficiency."
Choice B is clearly in line with the passage -"Such innovations reduce production waste but do not alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard". Here alter definitely means reduce (because increase will not make any sense).
So I felt more confident with choice B. Might help you too.. :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 02:41
gmatlbs wrote:
mamathak wrote:
manishgeorge wrote:
I have a question on #7.. Majority is going for answer B. But I am not understanding why that is a viable answer because. The passage suggests that the reduction in costs will not alter the total number of products being manufactured.

The last sentence says that Focusing
exclusively on ecoefficiency,
(50) which offers a compelling
business case according
to established thinking, may
distract companies from
pursuing radically different
(55) products and business
models.

That is the case unless the authors suggestions is adopted, correct. So I am getting the answer as E.

they will stops innovations.


Hi,

Even i chose E instead of B for the same reason. In option E, there is no content that goes against what is mentioned in the passage. But option B clearly mentions "manufacture greater number of products" which goes against the line " do not alter the number of products manufactured" in the passage. Can someone clarify?


IMO : OPTION E : A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.

Point#1 :new and innovative "ecoefficiency" measures-
last sentence of passage mentions "distract companies from pursuing radically differentproducts and business models", whereas as mentioned in first sentence "Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes".
second last sentence - "approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste"
Hence , "ecoefficiency" measures does not stand .
Point#2 :company that meets its ecoefficiency goals -
no where passage deals with meeting the goal or not.

B is almost discussed throughout the passage -
Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.
when production waste is reduced due to ecoefficient measures then the only source of increasing waste is more products.

hence we can reject E and go ahead with B.


Both B and E are almost correct. E is lacking the referrence of "meeting the goal or not" in the passage, but B stands in contrast to "not alter the total number of products." Its misguiding! The answer should not be partially correct. The increase in waste is not only caused by more products, but also by the "waste generated from their use and discard." Question 7 is simply incorrectly stated.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2016
Posts: 92
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 20:42
Hi - I have a question on why C is correct

The answer choice was : C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

Question : why is this correct when the author has multiple concerns --- not only one concern.

The multiple concerns were :

--- profit created and that would be lead to investing in not so efficient companies
--- Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy ...
--- Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract
companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.


Are these not multiple concerns ?

thank you !
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 343
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 22:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Hi - I have a question on why C is correct

The answer choice was : C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

Question : why is this correct when the author has multiple concerns --- not only one concern.

The multiple concerns were :

--- profit created and that would be lead to investing in not so efficient companies
--- Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy ...
--- Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract
companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.


Are these not multiple concerns ?

thank you !

Allow me to answer your query:
While you have identified the points of the author, you missed the root of this discussion. Author started his arguments by quoting Peter Senge and Goran Carstedt point of view where they enlist A CONCERN i.e.: simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future. Author agrees with the point and goes on to elaborate how this will come about. These are listed by you above. So the bigger picture is author explaining how environmental stress will come about and how is it going to impact business and industries, etc.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1141
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 20:27
Imo C present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

A. explain why a particular business strategy has been less successful than was once anticipated Not mentioned in the passage
B. propose an alternative to a particular business strategy that has inadvertently caused ecological damage Out of scope
D. make a case for applying a particular business strategy on a larger scale than is currently practiced Not mentioned in the passage
E. suggest several possible outcomes of companies’ failure to understand the economic impact of a particular business strategy
Out of scope
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 745
Premium Member CAT Tests
Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Sep 2017, 09:36
Passage notes:

1) Ecoefficiency: Goal for companies
Why? Cost savings
2) P & G see eco....as LAUDABLE

But (contrast): Will worsen environment because the no. of products and waste remain same.

Real reason why companies are going for eco.....: Profits and growth
Moreover (continuation on the same line): Investment issues

3) Suggestion by P & G: Focus SHOULD not be EXCLUSIVELY on ecoefficiency.

409. C
410. D
411. B


Looking forward to your reply

Thanks
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.


Originally posted by Shiv2016 on 29 Jun 2017, 03:01.
Last edited by Shiv2016 on 29 Sep 2017, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1909
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 10:58
D is the answer for question 6? (number 3)
I thought it would be C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 422
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 03:32
chesstitans wrote:
D is the answer for question 6? (number 3)
I thought it would be C

Hello chesstitans & soumya170293,

The option C has been subtly differed from what is expected.

Text from passage - ....since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries. - talks about reinvestment in (other) old eco-inefficient industries.

Q6:
The passage mentions which of the following as a possible consequence of companies’
realization of greater profits through ecoefficiency?

C. The profits may be reinvested to increase economic growth through ecoefficiency. - suggests re-investment in own company to increase growth.
D. The profits may be used as investment capital for industries that are not
ecoefficient. - clearly suggests reinvestment in other eco-inefficient industries.

Hope it helps
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 204
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 05:07
Can someone please explain why the primary purpose if the Passage cannot be A . I'm still confused. I could narrow down to A and C but i selected A since peter and Carstedt say that how companies adopted the Ecoefficiency to increase their profits but whereas the original goal of the plan was not that. so that's the reason i chose Option A.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2016
Posts: 5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 00:54
Experts please explain question 3. According to me it should be E because the companies are re-investing and not making eco-efficient products. The OA is B and I am confused. The passage says "they do not alter the number of products manufactured". How can this mean that the no. pf products are increasing (as mentioned in choice B). I clearly think E is the best choice .
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 394
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 20:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
rohitjha12 wrote:
Experts please explain question 3. According to me it should be E because the companies are re-investing and not making eco-efficient products. The OA is B and I am confused. The passage says "they do not alter the number of products manufactured". How can this mean that the no. pf products are increasing (as mentioned in choice B). I clearly think E is the best choice .


3. The passage implies that which of the following is a possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency? --- ans lies in following lines. ------ Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.

This matches B. Hope this helps.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 274
CAT Tests
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 15:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aragonn wrote:
rohitjha12 wrote:
Experts please explain question 3. According to me it should be E because the companies are re-investing and not making eco-efficient products. The OA is B and I am confused. The passage says "they do not alter the number of products manufactured". How can this mean that the no. pf products are increasing (as mentioned in choice B). I clearly think E is the best choice .


3. The passage implies that which of the following is a possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency? --- ans lies in following lines. ------ Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.

This matches B. Hope this helps.

Thanks aragonn for the explanation!

rohitjha12, if you still have questions, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button again.
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 15:53
JarvisR wrote:
~6 mins all correct.

In Q4 I was between B and C, which IMO can easily trap in test condition, if you don't pay close attention.

Q4: The primary purpose of the passage is to
B. propose an alternative to a particular business strategy that has inadvertently caused ecological damage
>>
Senge and Carstedt argue that to preserve the global environment and sustain economic growth, businesses must develop a new systemic approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste..

They are just saying that an alternative approach must be developed to fix the current drawbacks but that approach is not mentioned.

[[Because if that is not done then...]]
Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract companies from pursuing radically different
products and business models.

C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy
>> Correct.


Isn't the approach you have in bold the one the author is proposing? "a new systemic approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste"
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 15:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.