It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:41

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 09:09
smartguy595 wrote:
ost subject: Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact Posted: 30 Jun 2016, 01:26
Can someone explain why option E is incorrect!

E here is wrong because the author main aim is to show that companies should develop a new systemic approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste, So now to support this he mentions several possible outcomes of companies’ failure to understand the economic impact of a particular business strategy. Hence E is a supportive statement to the main conclusion and not the actual purpose of the passage.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 03:24
How can we clearly state that the 'increased prfts' given in the line 14, is denoting the prfts from non eccoeffiecient. Doest it also mention that they invest in old eccoefficient industries. experts pls give a clear explanation. I am stuck with q 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 94

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 00:37
8:41 on the timer.
(D) got Q-D wrong - misinterpret the question.

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "

"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 94

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 03:37
kuttingchai wrote:
This is what i got, not sure
4-C
5-A - why 5 is B ?
6-D
7-B

Pay attention to the last sentence.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 309

Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 01:07
mamathak wrote:
manishgeorge wrote:
I have a question on #7.. Majority is going for answer B. But I am not understanding why that is a viable answer because. The passage suggests that the reduction in costs will not alter the total number of products being manufactured.

The last sentence says that Focusing
exclusively on ecoefficiency,
(50) which offers a compelling
business case according
to established thinking, may
distract companies from
pursuing radically different
(55) products and business
models.

That is the case unless the authors suggestions is adopted, correct. So I am getting the answer as E.

they will stops innovations.

Hi,

Even i chose E instead of B for the same reason. In option E, there is no content that goes against what is mentioned in the passage. But option B clearly mentions "manufacture greater number of products" which goes against the line " do not alter the number of products manufactured" in the passage. Can someone clarify?

IMO : OPTION E : A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.

Point#1 :new and innovative "ecoefficiency" measures-
last sentence of passage mentions "distract companies from pursuing radically differentproducts and business models", whereas as mentioned in first sentence "Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes".
second last sentence - "approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste"
Hence , "ecoefficiency" measures does not stand .
Point#2 :company that meets its ecoefficiency goals -
no where passage deals with meeting the goal or not.

B is almost discussed throughout the passage -
Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.
when production waste is reduced due to ecoefficient measures then the only source of increasing waste is more products.

hence we can reject E and go ahead with B.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 309

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 11:34
Fellow readers,

For Question 7, I got stuck between A and B, but I chose B because of the following 2 reasons -
Choice A does give us some reason of possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency?. However, this choice goes little out of scope, as it uses "company with no guarantee that the company will continue to make further improvements in ecoefficiency."
Choice B is clearly in line with the passage -"Such innovations reduce production waste but do not alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard". Here alter definitely means reduce (because increase will not make any sense).
So I felt more confident with choice B. Might help you too.. :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 01:41
gmatlbs wrote:
mamathak wrote:
manishgeorge wrote:
I have a question on #7.. Majority is going for answer B. But I am not understanding why that is a viable answer because. The passage suggests that the reduction in costs will not alter the total number of products being manufactured.

The last sentence says that Focusing
exclusively on ecoefficiency,
(50) which offers a compelling
business case according
to established thinking, may
distract companies from
pursuing radically different
(55) products and business
models.

That is the case unless the authors suggestions is adopted, correct. So I am getting the answer as E.

they will stops innovations.

Hi,

Even i chose E instead of B for the same reason. In option E, there is no content that goes against what is mentioned in the passage. But option B clearly mentions "manufacture greater number of products" which goes against the line " do not alter the number of products manufactured" in the passage. Can someone clarify?

IMO : OPTION E : A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.

Point#1 :new and innovative "ecoefficiency" measures-
last sentence of passage mentions "distract companies from pursuing radically differentproducts and business models", whereas as mentioned in first sentence "Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes".
second last sentence - "approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste"
Hence , "ecoefficiency" measures does not stand .
Point#2 :company that meets its ecoefficiency goals -
no where passage deals with meeting the goal or not.

B is almost discussed throughout the passage -
Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.
when production waste is reduced due to ecoefficient measures then the only source of increasing waste is more products.

hence we can reject E and go ahead with B.

Both B and E are almost correct. E is lacking the referrence of "meeting the goal or not" in the passage, but B stands in contrast to "not alter the total number of products." Its misguiding! The answer should not be partially correct. The increase in waste is not only caused by more products, but also by the "waste generated from their use and discard." Question 7 is simply incorrectly stated.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 19:42
Hi - I have a question on why C is correct

The answer choice was : C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

Question : why is this correct when the author has multiple concerns --- not only one concern.

The multiple concerns were :

--- profit created and that would be lead to investing in not so efficient companies
--- Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy ...
--- Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract
companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.

Are these not multiple concerns ?

thank you !

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 60 [1], given: 103

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Hi - I have a question on why C is correct

The answer choice was : C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

Question : why is this correct when the author has multiple concerns --- not only one concern.

The multiple concerns were :

--- profit created and that would be lead to investing in not so efficient companies
--- Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy ...
--- Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract
companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.

Are these not multiple concerns ?

thank you !

Allow me to answer your query:
While you have identified the points of the author, you missed the root of this discussion. Author started his arguments by quoting Peter Senge and Goran Carstedt point of view where they enlist A CONCERN i.e.: simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future. Author agrees with the point and goes on to elaborate how this will come about. These are listed by you above. So the bigger picture is author explaining how environmental stress will come about and how is it going to impact business and industries, etc.

Hope this helps.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 60 [1], given: 103

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 19:27
Imo C present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

A. explain why a particular business strategy has been less successful than was once anticipated Not mentioned in the passage
B. propose an alternative to a particular business strategy that has inadvertently caused ecological damage Out of scope
D. make a case for applying a particular business strategy on a larger scale than is currently practiced Not mentioned in the passage
E. suggest several possible outcomes of companies’ failure to understand the economic impact of a particular business strategy
Out of scope

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 275

Premium Member CAT Tests
Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 02:01
Passage notes:

1) Ecoefficiency: Goal for companies
Why? Cost savings
2) P & G see eco....as LAUDABLE

But (contrast): Will worsen environment because the no. of products and waste remain same.

Real reason why companies are going for eco.....: Profits and growth
Moreover (continuation on the same line): Investment issues

3) Suggestion by P & G: Focus SHOULD not be EXCLUSIVELY on ecoefficiency.

409. C
410. D
411. B

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Last edited by Shiv2016 on 29 Sep 2017, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 275

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1366

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 09:58
D is the answer for question 6? (number 3)
I thought it would be C

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1366

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 221

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 00:59
Can anyone please elaborate the answer for question 2 ?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 221

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 462

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 02:32
chesstitans wrote:
D is the answer for question 6? (number 3)
I thought it would be C

Hello chesstitans & soumya170293,

The option C has been subtly differed from what is expected.

Text from passage - ....since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries. - talks about reinvestment in (other) old eco-inefficient industries.

Q6:
The passage mentions which of the following as a possible consequence of companies’
realization of greater profits through ecoefficiency?

C. The profits may be reinvested to increase economic growth through ecoefficiency. - suggests re-investment in own company to increase growth.
D. The profits may be used as investment capital for industries that are not
ecoefficient. - clearly suggests reinvestment in other eco-inefficient industries.

Hope it helps

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 462

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 11:51
Total Time 6:10. All Correct.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 04:07
Can someone please explain why the primary purpose if the Passage cannot be A . I'm still confused. I could narrow down to A and C but i selected A since peter and Carstedt say that how companies adopted the Ecoefficiency to increase their profits but whereas the original goal of the plan was not that. so that's the reason i chose Option A.

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 04:07
Can someone please explain why the primary purpose if the Passage cannot be A . I'm still confused. I could narrow down to A and C but i selected A since peter and Carstedt say that how companies adopted the Ecoefficiency to increase their profits but whereas the original goal of the plan was not that. so that's the reason i chose Option A.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 386

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 22:48
longhaul123 wrote:

Hi ,

Please go through the below mentioned lines carefully as mentioned in the starting few lines of the para

"Peter Senge and Goran Carstedt see this development as laudable but suggest that simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future".

Option A states that the business strategy has been less successful than was once anticipated

Nowhere in the paragraph we can find the current use of ecoefficiency application and how less successful it was. The whole paragraph just talks about how in the future will such business strategy has an impact and raises concern about its consequences by Peter Senge and Goran Carstedt.

Hence answer is Option C!!

Hope that helps

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 386

Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2017, 22:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 58 posts ] 

Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap