GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 05:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:33) correct 54% (01:42) wrong based on 353 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial governments assume that the dictator will change policies unacceptable to the imposing nation when the country’s citizens lose sufficient access to necessities such as food, water, and clothing. This approach occasionally proves unsuccessful, however, especially when .

a) citizens of the country are accustomed to being poor
b) the dictator has ideological reasons for maintaining national policy
c) the country imposing the sanctions relies on exports from the subject country
d) the dictator is not moved by the suffering of his people
e) citizens of the country do not understand the leader’s policies

I got the above question on the GMAT Club Tests, couldn't answer it at all. Any help on this will be great.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Re: Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 09:51
I was between C and D on this one. The other choices seem irrelevant to me. However, I went with Choice D.

The argument focuses on the suffering or inequities? of the people as a motivator for the dictator to change his/her ways. So, if the dictator is not subject to the people's suffering, the sanctions are ineffective.

However, I think the whole exports issue is out of scope and is a tempting wrong answer. I think mostly because we're looking at why the sanctions would fail, again from what the argument states.
Intern
Intern
Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 15:49
Clearly D.

This is a strengthen type of a question. In this question, the assumption is that the dictator will give in to the demands of the imposing nation, when the people of that country will suffer due to lack of food, clothing, shelter etc. So, in order to strengthen the author's hypothesis that this strategy does not work occasionally we have to attack the assumption that the dictator will empathize with the plight of his subjects. Choice D precisely does that, and clearly is the right answer!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 13:04
I initially thought C to be the option. But D it is...

Sanctions forbid trade with countries with dictatorial governments.
Why? Because Dictator is driven by the sufferings of people and change policies.
This approach occasionally proves unsuccessful.
When? If Dictator is not driven by the sufferings of people.--->D

God help me to improve...
Manager
Manager
Re: Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 04:38
aj0809 wrote:

Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial governments assume that the dictator will change policies unacceptable to the imposing nation when the country’s citizens lose sufficient access to necessities such as food, water, and clothing. This approach occasionally proves unsuccessful, however, especially when .

c) the country imposing the sanctions relies on exports from the subject country

I got the above question on the GMAT Club Tests, couldn't answer it at all. Any help on this will be great.

ITS STRAIGHT D!
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 01:11
Top Contributor
aj0809 wrote:

a) citizens of the country are accustomed to being poor ........>It provides information that is outside the scope of the argument
b) the dictator has ideological reasons for maintaining national policy .......>Clearly irrelevant information,because the argument is about changing policies of the dictatorial governments.
c) the country imposing the sanctions relies on exports from the subject country ...........>It may not promote dictator to change national policies(not Sufficient to tell)
d) the dictator is not moved by the suffering of his people ........>Correct
e) citizens of the country do not understand the leader’s policies .........>Out side the scope of the argument

Correct Answer D

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 04:49
At the end of the day, it is the dictator which will decide what to do and what not. Citizens have no power as long as they are ruled by a dictator.
Something has to happen to make the dictator crumble under the economic sanctions that are meant to destroy his citizen by cutting of their supplies of food , water and cloth. Now this approach to pressurise the dictator will fail, if he doesn't give a damn about this people. He will say :- Put as many sanction as you like. Let the people of my country die. I already don't care about these people.

WRONG:- Poor is subjective term. Not having a car is poor in america. not having two meals a day is poor in africa. Not having good educated children is poor in India and China. Also there is a difference in being poor and being starved to death slowly. Despite being accustomed to poverty, one cannot live indefinitely with our food or water. Even poor people sometimes eat when they beg or when they go to a soup kitchen or when there is a charity for them.

WRONG:- First it is irrelevant. The argument is about sanction of citizen and supply of food and water. Second If a dictator has idealogical reasons, then it is uncertain if he will change the policy or not depending the condition of his people. He may consider people important or his ideology important and thus can sacrifice a few citizen. NO DEFINITE OUTCOME --> so it is incorrect .

WRONG:- The dictator can be a greedy bastard and still sell things to imposing country. Material from A to B are blocked. B to A can still happen.

CORRECT;- The imposing country believe that seeing his people die without food water and clothes will change the dictator. If he does not care about his citizen then the sanctions will fails.

WRONG:- Irrelevant. The problem at hand is about sanctions and its adverse effects on the supply of food water and clothes. The argument is talking about the dictator being forced to change its policies. Only the dictator can change the policy. It is irrelevant if the citizen understand them or not. Even if the citizen understand the policy, will this knowledge remove the sanction. ? NO

aj0809 wrote:

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 12:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial &nbs [#permalink] 08 Aug 2018, 12:04

Economic sanctions that forbid trade with countries with dictatorial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap