Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [13]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31920 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Re: Economist Adam Keynes predicts by the year 2025 that world per-capit [#permalink]
Kudos
sobby wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Have a doubt ..as per original sentence , prediction is only regarding per capita income of 2025 , but in D it conveys that two points have been conveyed by author ie one for current per capita and another a prediction ..so it changes the meaning drastically..

Posted from my mobile device

Same doubt hence went with C

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Economist Adam Keynes predicts by the year 2025 that world per-capit [#permalink]
akshata19 wrote:
sobby wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Have a doubt ..as per original sentence , prediction is only regarding per capita income of 2025 , but in D it conveys that two points have been conveyed by author ie one for current per capita and another a prediction ..so it changes the meaning drastically..

Same doubt hence went with C

If I may, there are two problems with option C. First Identified by chetan2u : has been approaching $5,000 per year --- an awkward construction . 2nd problem is the use of the verb "surmount". some what it is changing the meaning.

Hope it helps.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31920 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
sobby wrote:
Hi chetan2u

Hi..

If you see I have mentioned " best available answer"..
D is grammatically correct ..
A is completely wrong grammatically so what it intends to convey is questionable..

Again Correct choice could have been worded better but it is best available
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Send PM
D is the best available answer that keeps the meaning intact and error free.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Economist Adam Keynes predicts by the year 2025 that world per-capit [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Economist Adam Keynes predicts by the year 2025 that world per-capita income, which now approaches $5,000 a year, is reaching $10,000 a year.

A. Economist Adam Keynes predicts by the year 2025 that world per-capita income, which now approaches $5,000 a year, is reaching $10,000 a year.
'predicts by the year's is wrong. He predicts THAT by the year......
Future tense cannot be shown by 'IS reaching'

B. Approaching $5,000 a year, economist Adam Keynes predicts that world per-capita income will reach $10,000 a year by 2025.
MODIFIER issue- WHAT is approaching '5000 a year's, surely not Adam

C. According to the economist Adam Keynes, world per-capita income, which has been approaching $5,000 per year, will surmount $10,000 a year by 2025.
awkward construction.. per capita HAS been approaching??

D. According to the economist Adam Keynes, world per-capita income is approaching $5,000 a year and will reach $10,000 a year by 2025.
Best available answer...

E. By the year 2025, economist Adam Keynes predicts that per-capita income in the world, which is approaching $5,000 a year, will surmount $10,000 a year.
Adam has already predicted, he will not predict by 2025..

D

I did not expect your reasoning would include " awkward construction".

IMO C

Meaning analysis- Eco AK predicts that , the per capita income , which is already / has been already approaching 5000 WILL REACH 10000 BY THE YEAR 2025
The above bolded portion is his prediction.

Error analysis-
A. He predicts it today not by the year .
B.Modifier error- Verb-ing modifier incorrectly placed.
C. CORRECT - "world per-capita income, which has been approaching $5,000 per year " This is a fact and maybe he predicts the future based on the fact. But it is certain that the above one is a fact. The verb tense is correctly used. " has been approaching " shows that the action is still going on. "will surmount $10,000 a year by 2025. " This is the prediction. Now the only problem with this choice is the verb" will surmount " which means that the PCI will overtake or get past the 10,000 mark and this we do not know for sure.
D. Meaning error- "world per-capita income is approaching $5,000 a year and will reach $10,000 a year by 2025. " here the entire thing is a prediction which wrong. You predict the future not the action which is happenning at present.
E. He is predicting now. Not by the year 2025.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
C vs D

According to Original sentence, words "world per-capita income now approaches' conveys a meaning that income approaches to a level in current scenario.

Present perfect tense in choice C 'has been approaching' distorts the meaning to 'income started approaching in the past and continue to do so'.

And, simple present in Choice D 'is approaching' resonates with Original sentence.

Hence, Choice D is correct.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
I am confused between C &D. Also, need to understand what is wrong with "which has been approaching" in option C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I think D is illogical bcoz how can adam keynes predict something that is happening currently? can an expert please help? I picked C as the correct answer
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts