It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Economist: On average, the emergency treatment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA , IIMB, IIMC
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Re: Economist: On average, the emergency treatment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 12:03
OA should be C.
It undermines the argument by saying that emergency treatment could cost way more than the therapeutic treatment (adding cost for medicines)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 05:00
Economist: On average, the emergency treatment for an elderly person for injuries resulting from a fall costs $11,000. A new therapeutic program can significantly reduce an elderly person's chances of falling. Though obviously desirable for many reasons, this treatment program will cost $12,500 and thus cannot be justified.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the conclusion of the argument?

Conclusion : Therapeutic program costs $12500 where as emergency treatment costs only $11000 so there is no reason for a person to undergo the therapeutic program.
Assumption : Elderly person will not be injured from a fall more than once.

We need to pick an answer that weakens this assumption i.e., elderly person when injured more than once are likely to benefit from the new therapeutic program because if a person falls twice it will cost him $22000(11 + 11) but the program cost is only $12500 so obviously program cost is justified.

A. Among elderly people who had followed the program for only a few months, the number of serious falls reported was higher than it was for people who had followed the program for its recommended minimum length of one year. - This is out of scope since the argument doesn't discuss the period of the therapeutic program. We are concerned about the costs arising from emergency treatment and the therapeutic program.

B. Falls resulting in serious injuries are less common among elderly people living in nursing homes than they are among elderly people who live alone at home. - Out of scope for the same reasons as above.

C. A frequent result of injuries sustained in falls is long-term pain, medication for which is not counted among the average per-person costs of emergency treatment for elderly people's injuries from such falls. - This choice says 'Frequent result' so we know it will cost more than 11k plus medication. i.e., falling twice may be 22k which is clearly less than program cost. Hence this is the best choice out of all answer options because it weakens the conclusion.

D. The new therapeutic program focuses on therapies other than medication, since over medication can cause disorientation and hence increase the likelihood that an elderly person will have a serious fall. - This says that the program doesn't use medication so that it can avoid frequent falls. But doesn't compare the costs of program and emergency treatment so can't be the answer. The conclusion says the cost is not justified. so we need to pick an answer where the costs are justified.

E. A significant portion of the cost of the new therapeutic program is represented by regular visits by health care professionals, the costs of which tend to increase more rapidly than do those of other elements of the program. - This talks about the costs associated within the program itself but doesn't compare with the emergency costs.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 433

Concentration: Technology, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 05:31
souvik101990, could you please provide the OA?

ManviSharma wrote:
souvik101990 OA Please ???? Is it C ???

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 433

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 127

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 05:19
Option D can also be eliminated on the basis that it already provides information which is present in the argument : About therapeutic program reducing chances of a fall. And since in weaken questions, we generally require outside information to be presented in order to destroy the argument, this option is not correct.

simplyanuj wrote:
dinesh86 wrote:
Economist: On average, the emergency treatment for an elderly person for injuries resulting from a fall costs $11,000. A new therapeutic program can significantly reduce an elderly person's chances of falling. Though obviously desirable for many reasons, this treatment program will cost $12,500 and thus cannot be justified.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the conclusion of the argument?

Weakener type question.
Conclusion: New therapeutic program is costlier that average treatment cost for fall therefor it is not justified.
Assumption.: Elderly people are not subject to more than one fall during their life-span.

A. Among elderly people who had followed the program for only a few months, the number of serious falls reported was higher than it was for people who had followed the program for its recommended minimum length of one year - Effects of duration of program are not in discussion. Moreover, severity or seriousness of fall are not discussed.

B. Falls resulting in serious injuries are less common among elderly people living in nursing homes than they are among elderly people who live alone at home - Places for probability of fall are not in discussion. Moreover, severity or seriousness of fall are not discussed.

C. A frequent result of injuries sustained in falls is long-term pain, medication for which is not counted among the average per-person costs of emergency treatment for elderly people's injuries from such falls - Might be true. Say, average per-person cost of emergency treatment is 11,000+X (X is medication cost for long-term pain). Now, it can be less than or more than 12,500.

D. The new therapeutic program focuses on therapies other than medication, since over medication can cause disorientation and hence increase the likelihood that an elderly person will have a serious fall - As medication increases the chances of further fall therefore cost will be atleast more than 22,000. Therefore, new therapeutic program will be cheaper and it undermines the conclusion.

E. A significant portion of the cost of the new therapeutic program is represented by regular visits by health care professionals, the costs of which tend to increase more rapidly than do those of other elements of the program - IT strengthen the conclusion instead of weaken it as cist of new program increase further.

OA please.....

I think correct Ans should be C. We are talking about medication here and not about over medication so option D is irrelevant.

souvik101990 Can you please provide OA for this question?

Thanks
Ak

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 127

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 08:09
+1 for C as it is clearly weakening the conclusion.

OA please

V21 ---> V40!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 63

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-30-2016
GPA: 3.34
WE: Programming (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 03:22
Totally confused with this.

Can anyone explain?

Kudos for explanation will be entertained.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 63

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Economist: On average, the emergency treatment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 00:44
HARRY113 wrote:
Totally confused with this.

Can anyone explain?

Kudos for explanation will be entertained.

Please provide your line of reasoning so that it could help us understand where are you heading.

V21 ---> V40!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
abhimahna, I'd appreciate some help.
Judging by the fact that barely anyone has disagreed with the OA as C, I feel I'm not picking something very obvious in this question.
About C: Sure, long-term medication will add to the treatment cost of $11,000, but we don't know how much. It could be less than $1,500, which is the difference of the two mentioned amounts. It could also be more. Since the amount isn't mentioned, nor is any indicator of the significance of the extra cost mentioned, I ruled out C.
About A: The prethinking fort this question for me was: 'The therapeutic cost is higher than a one-time average treatment cost. A statement telling us that the therapy saves the elderly from multiple falls could weaken the conclusion.' Option A tells us exactly that. People who didn't undergo the entire therapy had more falls than did the people who underwent the entire therapy. So, the therapy's cost is indeed justified. Multiple falls * $11,000 > One time therapy cost of $12,500.
Please shine some light on my dimwit head.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 391

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 21:17
seanick wrote:
abhimahna, I'd appreciate some help.
Judging by the fact that barely anyone has disagreed with the OA as C, I feel I'm not picking something very obvious in this question.
About C: Sure, long-term medication will add to the treatment cost of $11,000, but we don't know how much. It could be less than $1,500, which is the difference of the two mentioned amounts. It could also be more. Since the amount isn't mentioned, nor is any indicator of the significance of the extra cost mentioned, I ruled out C.
About A: The prethinking fort this question for me was: 'The therapeutic cost is higher than a one-time average treatment cost. A statement telling us that the therapy saves the elderly from multiple falls could weaken the conclusion.' Option A tells us exactly that. People who didn't undergo the entire therapy had more falls than did the people who underwent the entire therapy. So, the therapy's cost is indeed justified. Multiple falls * $11,000 > One time therapy cost of $12,500.
Please shine some light on my dimwit head.

option C is telling just about the cons of emergency treatment but no mention of the new program. So, how the answer C can be.Moreover , the conclusion is about new program . we have the an aspect of New program. The option D gives some positive points. therefore answer should be D

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 391

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
robu, D talks about overmedication. We don't know if the treatment for fall involves overmedication.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Economist: On average, the emergency treatment for an [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 15:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Economist: One average, the emergency treatment for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 19:36
Can somebody please explain why E is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 03:18
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 00:32
Can someone explain why Option E is wrong?

Could it not be possible that regular visits of health professionals is the reason for additional cost (in case of 12500$)? It could/could not be. Is that the reason this answer choice is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 05:02
Chef wrote:
Can someone explain why Option E is wrong?

Could it not be possible that regular visits of health professionals is the reason for additional cost (in case of 12500$)? It could/could not be. Is that the reason this answer choice is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Chef ,

Here I go:

E is actually a strengthener to the argument. It is saying the new technique is going to have more costs and thus what the author concluded "it is not justified" is true.

Plus, why this cost os more is irrelevant. What author said is still true.

But we need to weaken the conclusion. Hence, E is out.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Re: Economist: On average, the emergency treatment   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 05:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ]