GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2007, 10:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (01:55) correct 66% (01:58) wrong based on 133 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country's continued economic growth requires a higher level of personal savings than we currently have. A recent legislative proposal would allow individuals to set up savings accounts in which interest earned would be exempt from taxes until money is withdrawn from the account. Backers of this proposal claim that its implementation would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan at a relatively small cost to the government in lost tax revenues. Yet, when similar tax-incentive programs were tried in the past, virtually all of the money invested through them was diverted from other personal savings, and the overall level of personal savings was unchanged.

The author criticizes the proposed tax-incentive program by

(A) challenging a premise on which the proposal is based
(B) pointing out a disagreement among policymakers
(C) demonstrating that the proposal's implementation is not feasible
(D) questioning the judgment of the proposal's backers by citing past cases in which they had advocated programs that have proved ineffective
(E) disputing the assumption that a program to encourage personal savings is needed
Manager
Manager
Re: Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2007, 17:34
Vote A. The author does not believe that the special accounts will improve the amount of saving.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2007, 22:36
Tha proposal is not based on what the backers' say.They are just giving their opinion...I think D should be the answer??
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2007, 08:13
I think it is A

Backers of this proposal claim that its implementation would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan

The author challenges the above
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2007, 11:20
vineetgupta wrote:
Whats wrong with D??

D says that the author is specifically criticizing the backers of the proposal by pointing out other programs where their judgement has been wrong.

In the passage, the author points out that programs similar to the one proposed have been wrong - he says nothing about other programs the backers have supported in the past being wrong.

It's the difference between saying: "The backers support X. But X has been wrong in the past, so X is wrong now" and "The backers support X. But the backers have been wrong about Y and Z in the past, so they must be wrong about X."

I think the answer is A. The author is challenging the idea that offering the plan will increase the amount of savings. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2007, 11:52
I thought of D as well. Although I was a lil confused with the last line. Can someone help me understand the last line?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2007, 17:18
Hey guys.

Without any other reasonings, D is a fallacy in concluding that because the past proposals were useless so the new proposal is also.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2007, 15:19
I also go with D. Seems quite obvious to me. Not sure of I am not thinking enough.

Whats OA?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2007, 06:04
I'll go with A

The backers of Legislative proposal base their support to the proposal based on a premise that implementation of the proposal would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan at a relatively small cost to the government in lost tax revenues.

The economist cites a specific example where such effect has not been observed. Thus, he questions the premise on which the proposal is based.

The economist does not directly question the judgment of the proposal’s backers. Hence D cannot be the answer.

I found this one tough... :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2007, 18:28
I would go with A.

The purpose of the proposal is to increase the amount of personal savings (i.e. banks have more money to lend) but the author at the end refutes that a similar proposal (with seemingly similar purpose) failed because "the overall level of personal savings was unchanged."

Although it did not explicity say that the similar proposal in the past was a "failure", we can infer that it did not achieve its goal from the use of the word "yet" to introduce it.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 06:13
OA is A I also go with D but after reread the D I found the author didn't question the judgement of the backers so I think that's the reason A is correct.
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 06:59
OA added and bumping for further discussion

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 10:31
D can be rejected because we do not know whether the backers of current legislation advocated previous programs or not.

regards
Devesh
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 22:45
Even though OA is A I am confused here because the author is not challenging a premise... He is challenging an underlying assumption of policymakers that Tax incentives are enough to make people save more. nightblade354 GMATNinja sir please share your views..
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 02:21
vineetgupta wrote:
Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country's continued economic growth requires a higher level of personal savings than we currently have. A recent legislative proposal would allow individuals to set up savings accounts in which interest earned would be exempt from taxes until money is withdrawn from the account. Backers of this proposal claim that its implementation would increase the amount of money available for banks to loan at a relatively small cost to the government in lost tax revenues. Yet, when similar tax-incentive programs were tried in the past, virtually all of the money invested through them was diverted from other personal savings, and the overall level of personal savings was unchanged.

The author criticizes the proposed tax-incentive program by

Policy makers are suggesting to increase the savings in accounts to increase the loan providing capability of banks.
However, previous implementation of the plan did not provide the required effect. Instead, the balance remained the same and the public transferred money from one account to the new account

(A) challenging a premise on which the proposal is based
- the policy makers propose a plan - provide interest free savings to increase the amount available for loan.
Premise - interest free savings will encourage public to save more money.
The author says that people will not save money; people will simple transfer the money
-correct

(B) pointing out a disagreement among policymakers
- the disagreement is between author and policymakers.
-Wrong

(C) demonstrating that the proposal's implementation is not feasible
- feasibility of proposal implementation is not discussed.
-Wrong

(D) questioning the judgment of the proposal's backers by citing past cases in which they had advocated programs that have proved ineffective
- judgement of proposal's backers is that public will deposit extra money.
- this judgement is questioned by using the past reference case.
-correct

(E) disputing the assumption that a program to encourage personal savings is needed
- this is out of context
-wrong

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2019, 02:21

Economist: Some policymakers believe that our country s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics