Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [19]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618731 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 243
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Economist: The economy of the Republic of Nantau has experienced lower [#permalink]
catfreak wrote:
Economist: The economy of the Republic of Nantau has experienced lower than expected growth in the past year, and the value of its currency has dropped against the Yen. As a result, purchases of imported goods, such as usually luxury items or high-end electronics, will likely decrease as people turn to cheaper domestic equivalents. However, this will likely help reverse the negative economic trends by creating a trade surplus as export goods become cheaper.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.
(D) The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.
(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.

Please explain your solution.

I think it should be A.
In question,statement 2 is negative effect and statement 3 is positive effect.As per the analysis,statement 3 is main conclusion.
PLease help!
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Economist: The economy of the Republic of Nantau has experienced lower [#permalink]
ssriva2 wrote:
catfreak wrote:
Economist: The economy of the Republic of Nantau has experienced lower than expected growth in the past year, and the value of its currency has dropped against the Yen. As a result, purchases of imported goods, such as usually luxury items or high-end electronics, will likely decrease as people turn to cheaper domestic equivalents. However, this will likely help reverse the negative economic trends by creating a trade surplus as export goods become cheaper.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.
(D) The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.
(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.

I think it should be A.
In question,statement 2 is negative effect and statement 3 is positive effect.As per the analysis,statement 3 is main conclusion.
PLease help!

The answer is c

1) The value of its currency has dropped against the Yen - FACT

2) As a result, purchases of imported goods, such as usually luxury items or high-end electronics, will likely decrease - Prediction of an Outcome based on above fact.

3) ]However, this will likely help reverse the negative economic trends by creating a trade surplus as export goodsbecome cheaper - Providing conceding contrast i.e. author unwillingly agrees to statement 3 because it provides a counter reasoning to the authors main conclusion i.e. purchases of imported goods will likely decrease.

Hope this helps
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
catfreak wrote:

BF 1 is a fact statement. This statement affects some prediction/result mentioned in the next line.

BF 2 is the main point of the passage.

It is easier to eliminate statements as per BF 2.

Eliminate D: BF 2 is not a prediction.

Eliminate E : BF 2 itself is the main conclusion and not the evidence to support the main point.

Now use BF 1.

A : Not that much to eliminate. Keep it.

B : BF 2 does not support the certain outcome. Actually BF 2 is against the outcome.

C. CORRECT : BF 1 is just showing a development. BF 2 is against the outcome.

I think C is more detailed but I don't find any wrong with option A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
catfreak wrote:

The context was established earlier that the economy is in negative progress and second one isn't the main conclusion

The second half predicits it will be part of the outcome and not the other way around and the first half is absolutely correct though but rest is not in sink

This is exactly the meaning and the roles played by the 2 bold face therefore let us hang on to it

This is entirely out of the reasoning circle and doesn't even touch the slightest role played by the boldfaces therefore out

These are not the main conclusion of the argument

Therefore IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
This is a poor quality question, in my humble opinion.

Answer choice C states: "The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction."

The first portion is absolutely correct; the second is not accurate. BF2 does not "weigh against" the prediction, it furthers the prediction. For BF2 to weigh against the prediction, it would have to in some way contradict the prediction that "purchases...will decrease." It does not do that. It simply states that there is a positive side effect of the stated prediction - it does not weigh against that prediction.

Cheers.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts