It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 13:14
A leader guided by sound principles earned immense respect from the masses.

here as per your expalantion "guided " is a verb ed modifier.

i understand ur answers fully.Can you please see if the below expalanation is correct

Consider the sentence
A leader is guided by sound principles.

Here guided is a verb.
Does it mean that if we cut the part "earned immense respect from the masses." guided becomes a verb
and if we retain the part "earned immense respect from the masses." guided becomes a verb ed modifer.
Does it mean that we always look for a word which can better be a verb of the subject .
And if we dont find a word which is not a verb ed modifier and only a verb then we look for some word
which is a verb ed modifer so that it can act as the verb for the subject
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Design (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 11:01
1.The new lamp decorated with pink flowers and resembling a star brought a large smile on the child’s face.
2.The new lamp decorated with pink flowers and resembled a star brought a large smile on the child’s face.
3.The new lamp decorating with pink flowers and resembling a star brought a large smile on the child’s face.
4.The new lamp decorated with pink flowers and that resembles a star brought a large smile on the child’s face.
5.The new lamp that is decorated with pink flowers and that resembles a star brought a large smile on the child’s face.
Is the Option no 5 correct?
Chat Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 20:50
egmat wrote:
Sinner1706 wrote:
Hi Shraddha/E-Gmat Team,

Understood the concept on Verb-ed Modifiers. Could you clarify the below question, in line with Verb-ing modifiers

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language
variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

Hi there,
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

First of all, I would recommend you to read the following articles that describe in details various usages of “verb-ing” modifiers.
usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html
verb-ing-modifiers-part-2-in-our-first-article-on-verb-ing-135567.html

Now let’s solve this problem at hand.

Meaning Analysis:

Popularity of television has resulted into decline of regional dialects. These regional dialects are language variations. Two characteristics of dialects have been presented:
a. they originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and
b. they are perpetuated by geographic isolation

Error Analysis:

The first characteristic of dialects has been presented in clause “which originate”. Hence the second characteristic must be presented in the same format. Now “which” can be taken to be understood in the case of second clause. However, notice the construction “perpetuated by geographic isolation”. This means dialects did not do the action of perpetuating. The action was done on them Hence, we need a passive voice verb here. To maintain parallelism, the correct verb should be “are perpetuated by…”. In absence of “are” before “perpetuated”, this word acts as a verb-ed modifier that cannot be parallel to a clause.

PoE:

A. which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect. Same error as in choice A.

C. originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Incorrect. “originated” here is a simple past tens verb. This leads to a run-on construction where the two independent clauses are connected by a comma.

D. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated: Correct. “originating”, the verb-ing modifier and “perpetuated”, the verb-ed modifier, correctly modify “language variations”. These two forms of modifiers are parallel because they both perform the same function.

E. originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating: Incorrect. Verb-ing modifier “perpetuating” incorrectly modifies “language variations”. This modification means that the action of “perpetuating” was done by “language variations” .

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shradhha,

Referring to very old post, but if you could help me out.

Is my line of reasoning correct?

X Perpetuated by Y. Since X is not the action doer hence this is an -ed modifier.

The structure is obtained by removing any helping verbs and main verbs.

So to maintain parallelism we would need originate to be in -ed form as well.

are perpetuated by Y.

X are originated from A and B.. Seems to be incorrect. only originating can make sense here. X are originating from A and B.

Hence -ing || to -ed
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 15:54
I couldn't really follow how "extending" could be the right answer . I feel even the choice "Extending " as a verb in the present continuous form & not as a verb modifier .Kindly help here to clarify
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
kaarya58 wrote:
I couldn't really follow how "extending" could be the right answer . I feel even the choice "Extending " as a verb in the present continuous form & not as a verb modifier .Kindly help here to clarify

extending can be a present continuous verb form only if it follows a helping verb - example : "were extending", "are extending"

Learning fast, Jane cracked GMAT <-- modifier
Jane , learning fast, cracked GMAT <-- modifier
Jane is learning fast, so he will crack GMAT <-- verb

--

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 17:07
egmat wrote:
This is the word document for the sections "How Verb-ed Modifier is derived" and "how can this help you answer GMAT SC questions?" and detailed solution of the Exercise.
Thanks.

FIRST OF ALL A NICE EXPLANATION GIVEN BY e-GMAT, but iw would be very kind of you, if you can help me with this...

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

After reading e-gmat explanation, i was able to eliminate a/b/c options....Now the problem is between D/E. I am unable to find out whether in phrase local times differed from city to city( is the action of differing being done by local times or .......??) in first modifier its clearly mentioned local times determined BY, which makes easy to spot beacause of preposition By used which clearly tells that action has been done by some external factor, but in case of differed , it becomes complicated....

Please help ....@e-gmat
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 01:57
gmatify17 wrote:

FIRST OF ALL A NICE EXPLANATION GIVEN BY e-GMAT, but iw would be very kind of you, if you can help me with this...

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing

After reading e-gmat explanation, i was able to eliminate a/b/c options....Now the problem is between D/E. I am unable to find out whether in phrase local times differed from city to city( is the action of differing being done by local times or .......??) in first modifier its clearly mentioned local times determined BY, which makes easy to spot beacause of preposition By used which clearly tells that action has been done by some external factor, but in case of differed , it becomes complicated....

Please help ....@e-gmat

Hello gmatify17,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

In Choice D, the word differed is a verb because the local the local times themselves differed from city to city.

Let me present a simple example sentence to make the usage clear.

Local time differs in each of the six time zones in the Unites States.

My project differs from yours in its approach towards problem solving.

In both the above-mentioned sentences, differs acts as a verb.

Same is the usage of the word in simple past tense in Choice D. Hence, this choice stands incorrect because the modifier determined and the verb differed cannot be grammatically parallel.

Choice E rectifies this error by replacing the verb differed with the modifier differing.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Last edited by egmat on 28 Sep 2017, 02:18, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 02:10
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kaarya58 wrote:

Hello kaarya58,

I am aware that you wrote this post long time ago. Nonetheless, here is an easy explanation to understand why any word ending in "ing" and not preceded by an helping word such as is/am/are/was/were/ etc cannot act as a verb.

A verb has three traits:

i. It must have a tense - Past, Present, or Future.
ii. It must have a number - Singular or Plural.
iii. It must have a voice - Active or Passive.

Now can we specify the tense of the word extending? Also, is it singular or plural? Which voice is it written in?

We cannot answer any of these questions just be looking at the word ending in "ing". Now take a look at the following sentences:

Harry was watering the plants in the morning.

The students are planning to organize a party for the teachers.

They all will be going to the concert this weekend.

Needless to say that just be looking at the helping verbs that precedes each of the "ing" word in the above-mentioned sentences, we know about the tense and the number of the verbs. Also, all these verbs are written in active voice.

Hence, we need a helping verb to precede an "ing" word for it to act as a verb.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 22:58
A) A leader guided his followers honestly earned immense respect from the mass.

B) A leader guided by sound principles earned immense respect from the masses.

As per previous topic description and answer, "Guided" in 1st sentence is verb whereas in 2nd sentence it is modifier. Reason given for 2nd sentence that "leader" didnt do the action of guiding. So doesn't same hold good for 1st sentence as well where leader didn't do the action of guiding, rather followers did it.

Would you pls suggest how "guided" role varies in these two sentences ?
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 07:46
Hi,
I need help with the moen jo daro sentence. Payal said that the first one is a run on is it because the site can do the flourishing but not the destroying and removing that in the first sentence would join two independent clauses using comma but isnt the second clause doing the same thing that is connecting two independent clauses with a comma.
Kind Regards.
Re: ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2018, 07:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 110 posts ] 

ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap