Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618574 [212]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [31]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [12]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Editorial: Our city's public transportation agency is facing a budget [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The correct answer is option D.

Let us see why.

Conclusion: It is in the best interest of employees for their union to accept cuts in Retirement Benefits

Given that:
1. The transport agency is facing a budget deficit
2. Employee Retirement Benefits:
- Fastest Growing part of the budget
- Exceptionally generous (opinion of the author/editorial)
3. If the Budget shortfall is not resolved, many employees will lose their jobs

Falsification Question: in what scenario would it not be be in the best interest of employees to allow a cut in Retirement Benefits, given the above?

Falsification Condition:

There seems to be a logical jump made by the author here -

What we know about the retirement benefit:
- Fastest Growing part of the budget
- Exceptionally generous (opinion of the author/editorial)

Does the above 2 points necessarily mean that reducing the benefit will help resolve the budget deficit?

So, what we do not know - is whether reducing the retirement benefit will be able to resolve the budget deficit problem.

If it really will help resolve the budget shortfall problem, then the editorial can say that it is in the best interest of the employees to allow such a budget cut in their retirement benefit.

Assumption: Reducing the retirement benefit will be able to resolve the budget deficit issue

Option Choice Analysis:

(A) The transportation employees' union should not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so would not be in the employees' best interest.
Irrelevant to the argument at hand. if the cut is not in the best interest, the union should not accept it - what does this have to do with the conclusion which is about whether the cut is in the best interest of the employees or not?

(B) The only feasible way for the agency to resolve the budget shortfall would involve cutting transportation service and eliminating jobs.
Not correct. if this were true, then why is a reduction in retirement benefit even under consideration? These could be other ways to resolve the budget deficit, but the argument is whether the cut in retirement benefit is in the best interest of the employees or not.

(C) Other things being equal, it is in the transportation employees' interest to have exceptionally generous retirement benefits.
In simple words, negated option C means that a very generous retirement benefit is not in the best interest of the employees. So, cutting this would help the cause of the employees, so it will be in the best interest of the employees to allow a cut (instead of breaking the conclusion, negated option C is strengthening the conclusion). Not the correct answer.

(D) Cutting the retirement benefits would help resolve the agency's budget shortfall.
As per prethinking. if cutting the retirement benefit will not help resolve the budget shortfall, then how can it be in the best interest of the employees? (given that if the budget shortfall is not addressed, many employees will lose jobs).

(E) The transportation employees' union will not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so will not allow more transportation employees to keep their jobs.
Irrelevant - what the union will or will not do is not under consideration in the argument.

Hope this helps.
General Discussion
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [10]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Editorial: Our city's public transportation agency is facing a budget [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Javierbc wrote:
Can anybody explain why option B is not correct?

Hey Javierbc,

The negation of (B) is that 'there is some other way to fix the budget'.
But even if there is some other way, the management might still choose to cut jobs.
Since this is not a 'strict negation', i.e. the argument can still stand (if a bit weaker) without it, it is not a 'GMAT assumption'.

Negating (D), however, yields 'cutting the benefits would not fix the budget'.
Without this, the entire argument that 'workers should accept benefit cuts so as to fix the budget' is negated.
Then (D) is a much stronger choice.

Note that in general, the best way to avoid getting tripped up by confusing almost-right answers is to try identify in advance what the weakest link / correct answer likely is.
If it (or something very similar) is in your answer choices, you should feel comfortable selecting it without thinking deeply about every single one of the options.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Editorial: Our city's public transportation agency is facing a budget shortfall. The fastest growing part of the budget has been employee retirement benefits, which are exceptionally generous. Unless the budget shortfall is resolved, transportation service will be cut, and many transportation employees will lose their jobs. Thus, it would be in the employees' best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits.

Which of the following is an assumption the editorial's argument requires?

A. The transportation employees' union should not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so would not be in the employees' best interest.
B. The only feasible way for the agency to resolve the budget shortfall would involve cutting transportation service and eliminating jobs.
C. Other things being equal, it is in the transportation employees' interest to have exceptionally generous retirement benefits.
D. Cutting the retirement benefits would help resolve the agency's budget shortfall.
E. The transportation employees' union will not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so will not allow more transportation employees to keep their jobs.

CR11741.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

The argument is basically that the workers should accept retirement benefit cuts because otherwise the budget will be insufficient and they'll lose their jobs. (This is justified by the dubious claim that these benefits are the 'fastest growing' part of the budget, which should trip your 'what?!' alarm bells).
The natural assumption behind this is that cutting these 'fastest-growing' benefits will solve the budget issues. Since we know what to look for, we'll look for it without wasting time on irrelevant options. This is a Precise approach.

(D) is exactly what we are looking for and is our answer.

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 27 Apr 2019, 02:14.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 03 May 2019, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This one is tricky. I hate assumptions questions because these answer choices that include negations always make my head spin :D Therefore I want to share my line of thinking and maybe it helps somebody :)

So the conclusion that we focus on is: It is in the employees best interest to accept cuts to their retirement benefits because otherwise they might loose their jobs through a budget shortfall.

A. The transportation employees’ union should not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so would not be in the employees’ best interest.

This one can be very confusing because of the negation. But looking at this answer high level what is it really saying. Its presenting a case that might be true but has nothing to do with the conclusion of the argument. "If it is not in their best interest they should not accept the cuts." We want to find something that must be assumed however that IT IS in their best interest. Therefore we can eliminate A.

B. The only feasible way for the agency to resolve the budget shortfall would involve cutting transportation service and eliminating jobs.

This is again really tricky. But it is important to recount the task. Find an assumption that is absolutely necessary. Does the cutting of services and elimination have to be the only way? No of course there could be 100 other ways and it makes no difference to our assumption. Therefore no impact on the conclusion and we can eliminate B.

C. Other things being equal, it is in the transportation employees’ interest to have exceptionally generous retirement benefits.

This one is easier to eliminate. Exceptionally is extreme language so it is definitely not necessary to assume this.

D. Cutting the retirement benefits would help resolve the agency's budget shortfall.

What if cut the retirement benefits and it would not help us resolve our main issue with the budget shortfall? This would completely destroy this argument. If we can not influence the elimination of jobs then it is not in the best interest of the employees to accept the cuts.

E. The transportation employees’ union will not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so will not allow more transportation employees to keep their jobs.

Again the negation that makes my head sping. But what is it saying on a high level and does it matter to the conclusion? It just says that the union will only accept if the employees really can keep their job. But this has nothing to do with the motivation of the employees to really accept those cuts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Passage Analysis

• Editorial: Our city's public transportation agency is facing a budget shortfall.
    o The editorial states that the city’s public transportation agency is confronted by a budget shortfall.

• The fastest growing part of the budget has been employee retirement benefits, which are exceptionally generous.
    o Expenditure due to employee retirement benefits has been growing faster than all other parts of the agency’s budget..
    o The retirement benefits provided by the agency to its employees are unusually generous.

• Unless the budget shortfall is resolved, transportation service will be cut, and many transportation employees will lose their jobs.
    o If a solution is not devised for the budget shortfall, as a consequence transportation service will be terminated.
    o Loss of employment for many employees in the agency will follow if the shortfall is not resolved.

• Thus, it would be in the employees' best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits.
    o The editorial judges that if the union of workers in the agency choose to accept a cut on retirement benefits, that will be better for the employees.
    o We can infer that keeping the workers’ jobs is possibly more important in the long term.

Conclusion: It would be in the employees’ best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits.

Question Stem Analysis
We are required to identify the assumption required for the editorial’s argument to be valid.

Pre-thinking

Falsification Question
In what scenario is it possible that it would not be in the employees’ best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits?
Given that
    • The public transportation agency is facing a budget shortfall.
    • The employee retirement benefits part is the fastest growing portion of the agency’s budget.
    • The employee retirement benefits are exceptionally generous.
    • If the budget shortfall is not resolved, service will be cut, and many employees will lose their jobs.

Thought Process
The editorial suggests that it is best for the employees’ union to accept a cut in their retirement benefits because, if this step is not taken, drastic measures like cutting services will have to be followed to overcome the budget deficit. We can infer that this will lead to loss of jobs for current employees. It is a known fact that the retirement benefits for the agency’s employees are unusually generous and this part of the budget is the one growing fastest. Notice that the editorial does not say it is a large part of the budget at present. The main purpose of the measures discussed in the passage is to resolve the budget shortfall, so it will not be in the best interest of the workers if any other step that does not affect their employment could be taken instead of cutting their retirement benefits. Also, if the union agrees with the cut and this measure still does not suffice to resolve the issue (this is possible since we do not know how big the expense is currently), leading to loss of jobs for many employees, the workers are hard hit twice. This situation will not be in the workers’ best interest either.

Falsification condition#1
What if the cut in employee retirement benefits is not enough to resolve the budget shortfall and the services are cut even after that, leading to loss of employment along with the cut in retirement benefits?
In that case the facts hold true, but the conclusion breaks down.
Assumption#1
The cut in retirement benefits will lead to the resolution of the budget shortfall of the public transportation agency.

Falsification condition#2
The step of cutting employee retirement benefits will be in the best interest of the workers only when it is the only way the situation can be resolved without loss of jobs. What if it is not? Here also, the conclusion breaks down.
Assumption#2
The only method possible to resolve the budget shortfall without loss of employment of many workers is by cutting employee retirement benefits.

Answer Choice Analysis

(A) The transportation employees' union should not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so would not be in the employees' best interest.
INCORRECT
This statement is just the contrapositive version of the conclusion and brings no new information. Hence it cannot be an assumption

(B) The only feasible way for the agency to resolve the budget shortfall would involve cutting transportation service and eliminating jobs.
INCORRECT
This statement is not consistent with our pre-thinking. Cutting retirement benefits must be a feasible way to resolve the issue for the conclusion to hold. Hence it is not the correct choice.

(C) Other things being equal, it is in the transportation employees' interest to have exceptionally generous retirement benefits.
INCORRECT
This assumption is not necessary for the editorial’s conclusion to hold. Hence it is an incorrect choice.

(D) Cutting the retirement benefits would help resolve the agency's budget shortfall.
CORRECT
This is in line with our pre-thought assumption-1 and hence the correct choice.

(E) The transportation employees' union will not accept cuts in retirement benefits if doing so will not allow more transportation employees to keep their jobs.
INCORRECT
This statement is not regarding the context of the conclusion, i.e. whether accepting the cut in retirement benefits is in the best interest of the employees or not. Hence this option is out of the scope of the argument. Therefore, it is an incorrect choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [4]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Editorial: Our city's public transportation agency is facing a budget [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Editorial: Our city's public transportation agency is facing a budget shortfall. The fastest growing part of the budget has been employee retirement benefits, which are exceptionally generous. Unless the budget shortfall is resolved, transportation service will be cut, and many transportation employees will lose their jobs. Thus, it would be in the employees' best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits.

Budget Shortfall
% of the budget comes from RETIREMENT BENEFITS
Transportation Services will not be cut or many transportation employees will not lose their jobs -> the budget is resolved
Conclusion: Accepting the cut in retirement benefits is in employee's best interest. (WHY?)

Ask: Why accepting the cut in retirement benefits is in their interest? Aren't they losing the benefits? Isn't it supposed to be bad? If my manager offer to cut my benefit, why should I accept that? That's stupid.

But, wait a minute, It is certain that either transportation service will be cut or my job will be cut if the budget short fall is not resolved. Is there anyway to save my job then :(? Hmmmmm.. It seems like there is only one option available as my manager offers: CUT my benefits. Would I still lose my job if my benefits are cut? If so, then CUTTING my benefits does not resolve the budget shortfall then. Hence, It's not my best interest to accept the CUT since either ways i am going to lose my job.

Therefore, CUTTING my benefits better works out. Otherwise, It's no where close to be benefit me ;(.

Which of the following is an assumption the editorial's argument requires?

Quote:

Well! if cutting my benefits works out, I will be able to keep my job. Then I should accept the cut. If cutting my benefits does not work out, I would not accept the cut since I will lose my job. But I don't know whether it is going to work out or not. (A) is out
Quote:

Wait! cutting my job is part of the only feasible way, then how the heck could it be my best interest to accept cutting my retirement benefits? So even after I accept the cut, I still lose my job? I would rather keep my benefits till my last day of work! (B) is out.
Quote:

Great! My generous retirement benefits actually benefit me a lot. But they are considering cutting it:(... Also, they don't know whether the plan will work. (C) is irrelevant. Out.
Quote:

Okay! The plan is going to work, I will be able to keep my job. :) Hang on to (D)
Quote:

Allowing "more employees to keep their jobs". Does that include me and my friends? Not sure. So the plan might or might nor work for us. (E) is out.

Only D is left. D is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Hi experts, MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun

The answer is definitely D, but I can't seem to understand exactly why A is incorrect. Is it because the choice flips employees' interest and the union's acceptance and negates both? Therefore, it talks about NOT accepting cuts in benefits, therefore straying away from the point of the argument - i.e., what the union should accept.

I originally ruled out this option because it states "the transportation employees' union SHOULD not accept cuts...if doing so...." Why should something that the union should or should not be assumed?

The question asks for an assumption REQUIRED by the argument. So, as you look through the answer choices, you're looking for something that MUST be true in order for the author's argument to hold water.

The author concludes that "it would be in the employees' best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits."

The reasoning behind this conclusion is:
  • There is a budget shortfall
  • The fastest growing piece of the budget is retirement benefits
  • If the budget shortfall is not resolved, a bunch of transportation employees will lose their jobs

So, which answer choice MUST be true in order to conclude that ""it would be in the employees' best interest for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits"?

Here's (A):
Quote:

This doesn't absolutely HAVE to be true in order for the author to reach his/her conclusion. Perhaps there IS a circumstance under which it makes sense for the union to accept retirement cuts, even if it's not in the employees' best interests.

Maybe, for example, the cut in retirement benefits would directly fund some other really important project (building a new hospital or something). In this case, it's possible that the transportation union SHOULD support the cut in benefits even though it ISN'T in the best interests of the employees.

That doesn't impact the author's conclusion that it WOULD be in the best interest of the employees to accept THESE particular cuts in retirement benefits.

Because the argument doesn't depend on (A), (A) is not the correct answer.

Compare that to (D):
Quote:

From the passage, we know that if the budget shortfall is not resolved, many transportation employees will lose their jobs. From this, the author concludes that it would be in the employees' best interests for their union to accept cuts in retirement benefits.

(D) provides a necessary link between the author's conclusion and the evidence of the passage -- in order to conclude that it is in the employees' best interest to accept the cuts, we NEED to know that the cuts will actually help resolve the budget shortfall.

Because (D) MUST be true in order for the author's argument to hold, (D) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [3]
Given Kudos: 293
Send PM
Kudos