It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 16:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 349 [2], given: 34

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 17:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:25) correct 37% (01:25) wrong based on 773 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the voting shares of its members in order to more effectively shape global economic policy. For example, China comprises about 15 percent of the world's gross domestic product but has only a 3 percent voting share, whereas Belgium, with less than 1 percent of the global economy, has a 2 percent share.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the editorial's authors depend in suggesting a way to more effectively shape global economic policy?
(A) The United States has a larger voting share of the Intercontinental Bank than does China or Belgium.
(B) The specific allocation of voting shares factors into the Intercontinental Bank's effectiveness in shaping global economic policy.
(C) Only voting shares that are precisely proportional to each country's contribution to the global economy are appropriate for the Intercontinental Bank.
(D) The Intercontinental Bank is necessary to the maintenance of a prosperous global economy.
(E) As one of the fastest growing economies, China should have a larger voting share in the Intercontinental Bank.

Confused with OA. Will reveal later... Help needed on such CRs with general approach to handle these.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Last edited by joshnsit on 29 Jul 2014, 01:27, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 349 [2], given: 34

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 10

Re: Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 18:46
Between choices B and C.

B The specific allocation of voting shares 'does not' factors into the Intercontinental Bank's effectiveness in shaping global economic policy. -- crashes the conclusion.

C.Only voting shares that are precisely proportional to each countty's contrlbution to the global economy are appropriate for the Intercontinental Bank. -- the argument talks about the Global Economy and not about the Intercontinental bank.
Does not effect the conclusion.

B is clear here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 21:37
The argument is on effective shaping of global economic policy
A: talks of US- beyond the scope of the question and argument
D: Talks of the bank being necessary to propsperity of economy -nothing indicates this in the argument
E: china having greater share is not an assumption of the argument, but an implication.
C: is rewording author's argument, but it misses the important part of question- the global economy. argument is saying proportionate allocation is better, FOR SHAPING GLOBAL ECONOMY

B brings that into the picture.

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 23:42
vivesomnium wrote:
The argument is on effective shaping of global economic policy
A: talks of US- beyond the scope of the question and argument
D: Talks of the bank being necessary to propsperity of economy -nothing indicates this in the argument
E: china having greater share is not an assumption of the argument, but an implication.
C: is rewording author's argument, but it misses the important part of question- the global economy. argument is saying proportionate allocation is better, FOR SHAPING GLOBAL ECONOMY

B brings that into the picture.

@Amit2k9 and vivesomnium

Isn't B a simple reformat of conclusion of A? Can an assumption be same as conslusion in an argument?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2044 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2011, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
joshnsit wrote:

Isn't B a simple reformat of conclusion of A? Can an assumption be same as conslusion in an argument?

I don't think you've correctly identified the conclusion.

First, in any of these 'policy proposal' questions, it is absolutely crucial to identify the *goal* of the policy. Here, a proposal is made so that the bank can 'more effectively shape global economic policy.' The conclusion of the argument is that voting shares should be changed. The assumption then is that voting shares actually matter; they affect how successfully the bank shapes economic policy, which is why B is the correct answer.

To give a simpler example, if I say 'in order to improve your GMAT score, you should do practice problems', I'm assuming that doing practice problems actually has an effect on your GMAT score.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2044 [1], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2011, 10:35
IanStewart wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

I don't think you've correctly identified the conclusion.

First, in any of these 'policy proposal' questions, it is absolutely crucial to identify the *goal* of the policy. Here, a proposal is made so that the bank can 'more effectively shape global economic policy.' The conclusion of the argument is that voting shares should be changed. The assumption then is that voting shares actually matter; they affect how successfully the bank shapes economic policy, which is why B is the correct answer.

To give a simpler example, if I say 'in order to improve your GMAT score, you should do practice problems', I'm assuming that doing practice problems actually has an effect on your GMAT score.

@Ian
Your example makes sense, though this is a revelation. I always used to assume( :wink: a bad one :oops: ) that conclusions always happen independently of the premises in individual sentences.

Stimulus says:
The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the voting shares of its members [highlight]in order to more effectively shape global economic policy.[/highlight]

According to you, I can strip down the highlighted portion to know my actual conclusion. Am I correct?

What more baffles me is the language used in [highlight]question stem.[/highlight] That also seemed a rephrase of conclusion or assumption, whatever we agree to say.

As a general direction, should we assume the part in question stem to be conclusion or not?

I have posted a similar CR at cr-two-genes-114078.html
Does it follow the same logic?

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2011, 12:01
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
joshnsit wrote:

Stimulus says:
The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the voting shares of its members [highlight]in order to more effectively shape global economic policy.[/highlight]

I replied to the other thread you linked to above. In these 'policy proposal' questions, there is a conclusion (the recommended course of action) and there is a goal (what that course of action is designed to achieve). So in the sentence above, the conclusion is that the Bank should reallocate voting shares. The goal of that proposal is to allow the Bank to 'more effectively shape economic policy'. The person making this proposal must be assuming that the proposal achieves the goal.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

TOEFL Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2011, 17:03
To add little bit more, the assumption here should strengthen the conclusion. Only B does that. Also, C is an "extreme choice"; the use of "only" suggests so.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2011, 17:53
subhashghosh wrote:
To add little bit more, the assumption here should strengthen the conclusion. Only B does that. Also, C is an "extreme choice"; the use of "only" suggests so.

Hey guys. The OA is B here.
Let me know if OE is needed.

Last edited by joshnsit on 25 May 2011, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2011, 01:39
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
joshnsit wrote:

Hey guys. The OA is C here.

There is no chance that C is the correct answer to this question; if the book has C as their answer, throw it away and find better material. The stem in no way assumes that voting shares need to be allocated in a way which is *precisely* proportional to a country's economic contribution. In any case, C is not an assumption at all; it's a rephrasing of the conclusion, but using more extreme language. I imagine you meant to say that the answer is B, or perhaps there is a typo in the source.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

Last edited by IanStewart on 25 May 2011, 02:01, edited 2 times in total.

TOEFL Forum Moderator
B

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2011, 01:49
Ian, I don't know how my quote is replaced with that of joshnsit in your reply, I said that B is the correct answer.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2011, 01:57
B it shall be.
Kindly do a negation on both B and C. See which negated statement weakens the conclusion.

Conclusion:The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the voting shares of its members in order to more effectively shape global economic policy.

Negated B: allocation of voting shares has no effect in shaping global economic policy. [We cannot find a better weakner]

Negated C: Voting shares proportional to country's contribution is in-appropriate for the bank. [Shaping economic policy is not at all impacted] ... Also kindly look for extreme words like ONLY, MUST.. a few more

Technique : Courtesy - Powerscore bible

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2011, 02:03
subhashghosh wrote:
Ian, I don't know how my quote is replaced with that of joshnsit in your reply, I said that B is the correct answer.

Sorry about that! I quoted joshnsit's post which quoted yours, and I didn't erase the right quote tags in my post. Fixed now. :)

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2011, 02:12
IanStewart wrote:
subhashghosh wrote:

Sorry about that! I quoted joshnsit's post which quoted yours, and I didn't erase the right quote tags in my post. Fixed now. :)

I am extremely sorry guys... Mea culpa.. I messed up while closing 2-3 threads where I was posting OAs for all of them. :oops: I have corrected in my earlier post as well. Thanks for correcting.

The OA is B.

Last edited by joshnsit on 29 Jul 2014, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2011, 02:14
IanStewart wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Hey guys. The OA is C here.

There is no chance that C is the correct answer to this question; if the book has C as their answer, throw it away and find better material. The stem in no way assumes that voting shares need to be allocated in a way which is *precisely* proportional to a country's economic contribution. In any case, C is not an assumption at all; it's a rephrasing of the conclusion, but using more extreme language. I imagine you meant to say that the answer is B, or perhaps there is a typo in the source.

You stand correct. I did a typo here. The source is MGMAT btw. The OA is B.. :roll:

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 01:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 11:35
joshnsit wrote:
Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the voting shares of its members in order to more effectively shape global economic policy. For example, China comprises about 15 percent of the world's gross domestic product but has only a 3 percent voting share, whereas Belgium, with less than 1 percent of the global economy, has a 2 percent share.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the editorial's authors depend in suggesting a way to more effectively shape global economic policy?
(A) The United States has a larger voting share of the Intercontinental Bank than does China or Belgium.
(B) The specific allocation of voting shares factors into the Intercontinental Bank's effectiveness in shaping global economic policy.
(C) Only voting shares that are precisely proportional to each country's contribution to the global economy are appropriate for the Intercontinental Bank.
(D) The Intercontinental Bank is necessary to the maintenance of a prosperous global economy.
(E) As one of the fastest growing economies, China should have a larger voting share in the Intercontinental Bank.

The statement says that the Int. Con. bank should reallocate the voting shares of its members in order to more effectively shape global economic policy. Then the statement states an example to elaborate on the sentence.

1. Out of scope
2. If we negate this, it would imply that the allocation of voting share does not factors the effectiveness of the bank in shaping the global economy. The whole argument falls flat.
3. This has two flaws. First, the voting shares are not appropriate to the bank. Second, the voting shares are not precisely proportional to country's share. The statement doesn't mention that the share and the GDP proportion should be equal.
4. If we negate this, the statement still stand
5. China was just an example, it can not be included in the assumption.

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 208

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2015, 10:08
since this is an assumption type of question, the correct answer should present new information that is in the scope of the passage and that if negated, the conclusion would shatter.

the argument is not concerned with the fact that US has more voting shares. OFS.

if this is not true, then the argument that since C has 15% of WGDP is irrelevant, and cannot be used as an premise to support the conclusion that the voting shares should be changed. looks good so far.

which shares are appropriate for the IC is irrelevant and out of scope.

while it might be true, the author does not assume that.

this might be something inferred from the argument. Since inferred information cannot be the assumption, E is not correct.

after POE, the only answer choice that looks good is B.

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 208

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 23:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
B The specific allocation of voting shares 'does not' factors into the Intercontinental Bank's effectiveness in shaping global economic policy. -- crashes the conclusion.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Re: Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2017, 23:13

Editorial: The Intercontinental Bank should reallocate the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap